Ayumi Hamasaki Discography Rate: Part 2 (FIN)

I'd have thought everyone would have rated Lady Dynamite more highly!

There's nothing I'm gutted to see going...yet! I hated Another Song when I first heard it. I just felt so disappointed when I first heard it as it just seemed like the most in-Ayumi-ish song every. Now it's cute enough when I pop Five on. PV is dull apart from the arm-ography at the end which is amazing.

Dream On I actually love. I remember reading negative things when it was first released but it's so catchy and I enjoy the PV from time to time too.

Thank fuck Curtain Call is gone! Songs like this are the reason I used to hate ballads and I never thought Ayumi would release a ballad like this. Boring, generic, uninspired, filler etc. I think it is actually my most disliked Ayu song.

The PV adds an entirely new layer to the song too. I, for one, absolutely hate the idea of being married with kids. NEVER EVER.mp3. But once in a while, that "what if" creeps in and I've got the picturesque fantasy playing in my mind not unlike the PV. Living the American Dream, with a beautiful suburban house and family basking in the love and happiness of those around me, before abruptly snapping out of it and realising I'm still the hot mess I've always been with NO FUTURE.mp3.

YES! It's such an underrated PV.

"Children struggling to stay afloat while being made to sing along to the song will never not be funny. A literal lipsync for your life."

Feeling the urge to watch this PV again.

I really like Ayumi's and Juno's voices together in Why. It's also a song I think sounds very Ayumi-ish. I think it deserves some more love.

vuYGxlK.png

Curtain call
(7.159)

46piVZH.gif

10 @Animalia
vfzyNHS.jpg

Curtain Call was one my favourite discoveries of the rate welp, it's serving me understated-but-overdramatic JRPG finale ballad. Keep rawkin' out to your Avril Lavigne bawps I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

S

send photo

RJbKUY8.png

Life
(7.250)

kchRIh4.png

10 @vague 9.5 @send photo
5 @digitalkaiser

Okay, this is probably the first song I'm surprised didn't do better; it's such a gorgeous little gem hidden within her discography. Life is the b-side to Mirrorcle World, and is hands down her best b-side (she has like maybe 4 so it's not saying much). Ayu is serving melancholy for days on this and I've popped this on for a brooding session or two. I suppose Life's elusive nature was ultimately its downfall.

It doesn't quite fulfill TABOO's criteria, "A completely serviceable track, albeit a little dreary. The lyrics are the highlight." otenkiame says a b-side is a b-side, "I dig the mellow atmosphere and easy listening of it. Definitely b-side material through and through. Easily forgettable despite not at all being bad." evilsin agrees, "Yet another pop/rock track. This one's is very middle of the road and faceless though. I guess it's not a big loss considering it's a b-side for a albumless single." Unintentionally triggering my embarrassing childhood memories is eliminathan, "It's good." I lived in these damn shirts as a kid, ddd.

Life suffices for One Stop Candy Shop, "Queen of releasing a decent enough b-side." At least RUNAWAY stands with me, "this really deserved to be more than a b-side. It’s so good!" And hey, vague turned up to make it a party, "to me, this is by faaaar her best b-side (that stayed a b-side ddd). i adore this so much; it's so much better than the a-side. this sounds so much like a MY STORY album track to me... maybe that's why i love it so much."

That's all for today but I'll be back with another elimination bright and early tomorrow!​

well, lack of taste won, i guess.

y'all did this so dirty. "Life" should've made the top 40 at least.

And hey, vague turned up to make it a party, "to me, this is by faaaar her best b-side (that stayed a b-side ddd). i adore this so much; it's so much better than the a-side. this sounds so much like a MY STORY album track to me... maybe that's why i love it so much.
"​

oh, waow... not me exposing my limited-ass vocabulary like this. queen of saying "so much" four times in two sentences dddd.