Ayumi Hamasaki Discography Rate: Part 2 (FIN)

he/they
Unintentionally triggering my embarrassing early-adulthood memories is send photo. I lived in these damn shirts as a kid, ddd.
Sis I'll never wear a graphic tee out in public again after my first day at college.

oIAAzdd.gif

We each had to introduce ourselves one by one and when I got up to do it and get our study notes from the teacher, she read my shirt out loud. My shirt had a giant pair of anaglyph glasses over the tits and it said "No Pictures Please". Imagine being laughed at by the class and teacher on your first day while introducing yourself. A hot mess and I don't know why I haven't burned that shirt.

Keep rawkin' out to your Avril Lavigne bawps I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I won't stand for the Avril dragging, acting as if she isn't a goddess queen.

WFmwaeH.gif

S

send photo

HhCQyEn.png

Thank U
(7.272)

WcHaNrE.png

10 @RUNAWAY @ohnostalgia @Animalia @send photo
2 @yuuurei 5 @otenkiame @TABOO

You miserable gays really cannot stand happiness, can you? This song is so happy!! I don't care if my gran's dying in a ditch somewhere, this'll always put a smile on my face no matter what. If Kylie can make a chorus out of some la la la's why the fuck can't Ayu? I'm a sucker for songs with minimal lyrics where the production can shine. Janet's Throb, anyone? Apparently not since most of you weren't here for it. Well anyway, this was kicking around the bottom 10 until talent turned up with the higher scores so I can't be too pressed.

TABOO leads the hate train, "MY ALL did it better. I have a distaste for the chanting. But the production is great." Well I have a distaste for your score, beast. otenkiame got one too many cavities from it, "Ugh, cutsey song. It's basically "lalala" over and over followed by Ayu putting on her sugary voice. Why not just make it an interlude of lalala instead of a full-out song?" evilsin also got interlude teas, "Reminds me of Honey, although in the end it sounds like a prolonged interlude. Not a bad thing of course, but even with this amount of lyrical content it still sounds like it's just nanana's." Binch. And one last interluder from vague, "it's cute, but did she forget to write a chorus?? should've been an interlude or w/e."

Cutlery adds, "Contains some of the most pleasant string arrangements AND best strings-and-dance-beats mix in the album, but also some of the most annoying vocals and laziest lyrics in it" while One Stop Candy Shop names another queen, "Anthem of lalalala-chorus. Not an Alanis Morissette cover." And sadly eliminathan's is the most positive commentary Thank U received, "La la la la, la la la laaaa." @RUNAWAY sis you better slip into my PMs with more Love songs commentary.

Here she is performing this instead of ur faves

S

send photo

p6kZp8Y.png

You were...
(7.363)

FOkSbGY.gif

10 @evilsin @send photo
4 @vikeyeol 5 @digitalkaiser 5.5 @TABOO

Welp I guess I'm the only one that cries alone on Christmas to this. You were... is serving theatrical holiday melancholia. There's nothing like the holiday season to make you realise how painfully alone you are and Ayu captures this perfectly by pairing her gloomy vocal delivery over the touchingly festive production. I certainly consider this part of the better half of R'n'RC, but understandably it could get lost in the shuffle with better tracks included. PV-wise, it's simple yet gorgeous in execution. I love the shimmer of her makeup, as if she glows in the cold, lonely night.

First up is TABOO, "This hasn't aged all that well," whew I took some collateral damage there, "I recall it being one of the stronger tracks on the album when it initially came out, but I find it a little bland now." I can't hate on otenkiame for some truth, "Winter. Heartbreak. Grand choruses. I don't even hate it, but it's so trite, especially with "BALLAD" being on the same album." vague is perfectly fair, "decent enough ballad, but far from her best," and eliminathan isn't an Ornacia fan, "The girl with the face in ha weave is a bit unsettling."

RUNAWAY wasn't quite there for R'n'RC yet, "holy fuck I forgot how good this one really is! This era is kind of a blur for me as I wasn’t really a fan yet, but this song is great" and finally my fellow 10 evilsin serves You were... exactly the justice it deserves, "WOW. I love how deceivingly this starts and then that chorus comes in and obliterates everything in it's path. Way to make me feel wigless and dead. I mistakely used to dismiss this as just another winter ballad, but goddamn, it is on par with the classics."

she/her
You miserable gays really cannot stand happiness, can you?
S0Ji5bY.gif

Listen, here's the truth: one of my few issues with Ayu's music is her occasional excessive use of cutesy lalala's. They grate and they add nothing to a song! So Thank U is just like, totally detestable to me. Good riddance and I hope HONEY is next.

eta: NOOOOO
You were... is so beautiful, WHY?!
lH8oH2n.gif

This rate is a f*cking rollercoaster of emotions........

Last edited:
S

send photo

S0Ji5bY.gif

Listen, here's the truth: one of my few issues with Ayu's music is her occasional excessive use of cutesy lalala's. They grate and they add nothing to a song! So Thank U is just like, totally detestable to me. Good riddance and I hope HONEY is next.
No worries sis, I'm just playing with the drags. I knew Thank U didn't stand a chance and I get the grating cutesy thing; I wish HONEY was a key lower too.