Ayumi Hamasaki Discography Rate: Part 2 (FIN)

S

send photo

glad I have a friend in @digitalkaiser.
*looks at spreadsheet*

ibbr6xrjbymspx3zu7y.gif

S

send photo

O1ZuxIe.png

Last Links
(7.522)

VCufB4Z.png

10 @One Stop Candy Shop @send photo
4 @EachSmallStep 5 @Animalia @TABOO

You heartless beasts, this is a solid 10 for those first 20 seconds alone. The sorrow of this song is enough to bring me to my knees, from the production to her delivery. On the flip side, there's a spark of hope present in the lyrics, as if she knows there's a light poking through her dark clouds. The first image that pops to mind when I listen to this is Hatsumomo looking back at the Okiya after quite literally burning her bridges and I feel that honours the theatrics Ayu is so well-known for.

TABOO needs their ears cleaned, "I recall this being much better than it is. The lyricism works well, but the song doesn’t truly get anywhere before it finishes." We've all been there, haven't we evilsin? "Another slice of pop/rock Ayu that just somehow managed to grip me tighter than the others. I mean, the fact that I was listening to this album on loop when it was released might have contributed to this, but still... weird, huh?" At least ThisIsRogue felt something, "I love this more laidback rock style for Ayu. Total jam" and eliminathan found himself touched by the lyrics, "The lyrics are pretty meaningful and her voice is wondrous."

Someone even made a discovery! It's vague, "what a little gem of a song! really glad i discovered this. it's really beautiful." And the lowkey instrumentals are what stood out for otenkiame, "That acoustic guitar opening is so good! I dig the mellow attitude the verses have, and really like the pick up it has for the choruses, especially for the final one."

Oop @ RnRC songs leaving in mostly the right order! I enjoy pretty much all its tracks left, and I suspect RED LINE and Microphone are leaving next from the album (hopefully they stick around for some more elims)

S

send photo

K9mDHGN.png

HONEY
(7.545)

rB7aFx1.png

10 @RUNAWAY @Animalia
3 @yuuurei

The evil is defeated? I know a few of you were calling for Ayuminnie Hamousaki's elimination, myself already revealing a critique earlier: she's so damn squeaky. It's not kanariya levels, but it does make for a rough listen. It's a shame she couldn't use a lower register because I love everything else about the song; it's got great production, the melody is stellar, and the lyrics are endearingly cute.

EachSmallStep starts, "Semi-cutesy and easy going. Does get me to sway along at least." Semi? Cutlery gets it, "Can you say SACCHARINE? You probably won’t find a sweeter love tune in the album with such wholesome lyrics! The small English was a cute addition" and so does Weslicious, "This is so sickly sweet, but I enjoy it. She hasn't overdone this style (both song and singing style) so it's a nice little oddity in her discography." And the voice critiques sound off with digitalkaiser, "El oh el, her vocals sound so high pitched in this song? Is this supposed to be a cute song? I’m not sure I’ve liked it as much as anything else on this album. The “MY HONNEEEYYY” moment is cute though." eliminathan continues, "Not a fan of the cutesy voice she is putting on but the chorus melody is really good regardless." And it doesn't stop there, TABOO adds, "Borderline saccharine. A genuinely sweet song going by the lyrics, but I’m not a fan of the vocal technique she takes upon herself."

otenkiame barely makes it past the squeaking, "Super cute Ayumi here. I'm not a huge fan of when artists use these sweeter-than-sugar voices, and this isn't much of an exception. The arrangement actually saves the track, though, and the choruses are pleasant." And one last vague reference to the vocals, "that put-on cutesy voice is a lil bit grating to me, but the song is soo good otherwise, so i can deal. i think i remember reading ages ago that this was about her dog(s). i hope that's true dddd." Her dogs are so iconic, we aren't worthy.

My precious aaronhansome adds, "Precious little thing. Love this chorus" and my other precious ThisIsRogue says, "I usually love her "cute" songs and this is no exception. The electric guitars give the cuteness a nice edge to stop it from being too over the top." evilsin invites some happiness into his world, "For some reason I have a soft spot for this one. It just so bright, colorful and joyful that it makes me so happy. Ayumi is definitely most known for cryptic heartbreak songs, but happy Ayu is also quite a hoot." And Mr. RUNAWAY closes for his 10, "I love how upbeat this album is, but the lyrics are sad or inspirational. This song is another perfect example of Ayu’s artistry. I love her, this song, and this entire album." Poor sis is burning through 10s, good thing he has plenty.

I've got one elimination later in the day before I'll give a Top 70 rundown, and it's a single!​

S

send photo

y0kq0Za.png

Born To Be...
(7.568)

C2RBTYx.gif

10 @Animalia 9.5 @otenkiame
5 @Weslicious

Born To Be... is the first single we've seen in a while. If you couldn't guess by listening to it, it was used as the theme song for the 2006 Winter Olympics. Like, it gets the job done... it's just so painfully on the nose. It's exactly what you'd expect an Olympic song to sound like, so I guess mission accomplished. Once in a while though, when the mood is right, I'll lose my mind to this one: my own Rocky montage. The PV though... jesus. What a literal eyesore. I was making that gif with a headache and I could feel my retinas burning out of my skull. It'd probably get my -1 in a videography rate even including the part 3 PVs.

TABOO thinks the games are too long to hold their interest, "Olympian Queen! I have never been the biggest fan of Born To Be... as it feels a little long and tiresome, but I cannot deny how positive and uplifting it is." EachSmallStep agrees on a job well done, "A soaring number that definitely sounds like it’s meant to be sports theme, so it did that well." evilsin found his sportsmanship, "Hype olympics theme song through and through. I hated it. Now I really like it" while RUNAWAY runs away with the toxicity, "this has never been one of my favorite singles from her. I love Startin’ so much more." vague bops, "fun, uplifting bop. i really love the drums throughout and the crowd noise(?) towards the end."

She's being a little extra as Cutlery explains, "In many ways, this is as extra as Bold & Delicious, maybe a little more at times. For example, the 'arena’ feeling in the bridge with the live audience sample is a tad too much, but in the end the whole thing bops." Miss eliminathan? Miss eliminathan? Oh my god she blind, "Just make the video a bright yellow screen and it'll save me the trouble of trying to figure out what's happening in front of those floodlights. The entire video is super bright and then suddenly the lights dim whenever the dancing guy is bulging out on screen. I'm not good at lip reading so that random section of people trying to communicate with the viewer is lost on me but good chef sis slayed the scene." digitalkaiser, on the other hand, is that kid that stared at the sun, "The video for this is absolutely HIGH KEY ridiculous, give us seizures and blindness queen! Like Bold & Delicious, this song is just SUPER over the top and I love it all the more for that very fact. BOOOOOOOORN TOOOOO BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FREEEEEEEEEE [DRUMS - BELLS - GUITARS - STRINGS]." And one final positive word from otenkiame who gives a glowing review, "Okay, so that tribal beat is everything. And the way the song opens to a chorus. Delicious. The whole song just sounds so grand and inspiring. I mean, it's perfect for its Olympics tie-in."

S

send photo

TOP 70
this kept fucking clearing so excuse the laziness I really want to nap

MY STORY

About You
GAME
my name's WOMEN
Liar
HOPE or PAIN
HAPPY ENDING
Moments
walking proud
CAROLS
INSPIRE

(miss)understood

Bold & Delicious
STEP you
Ladies Night
is this LOVE?
(miss)understood
alterna
In the Corner
criminal
Pride
Will
HEAVEN
fairyland
rainy day

Secret

Until that Day...
Startin'
1 LOVE
It was
JEWEL
momentum
BLUE BIRD
kiss o' kill
Secret

GUILTY

(don't) Leave me alone
talkin' 2 myself
GUILTY
fated
Together When...
Marionette
glitter
MY ALL
untitled ~for her~

NEXT LEVEL

NEXT LEVEL
Sparkle
rollin'
GREEN
identity
Rule
LOVE 'n' HATE
Days

Rock'n'Roll Circus

Microphone
count down
BALLAD
Don't look back
Sexy little things
RED LINE ~for TA~

Love songs

Love song
crossroad
MOON
sending mail
Last angel
Like a doll
blossom
do it again
November
Virgin Road
SEVEN DAYS WAR

FIVE

progress
BRILLANTE

Extras

part of Me
Mirrorcle World

he/they
TOP 70
this kept fucking clearing so excuse the laziness I really want to nap

MY STORY

About You
GAME
my name's WOMEN
Liar
HOPE or PAIN
HAPPY ENDING
Moments
walking proud
CAROLS
INSPIRE

(miss)understood

Bold & Delicious
STEP you
Ladies Night
is this LOVE?
(miss)understood
alterna
In the Corner
criminal
Pride
Will
HEAVEN
fairyland
rainy day

Secret

Until that Day...
Startin'
1 LOVE
It was
JEWEL
momentum
BLUE BIRD
kiss o' kill
Secret

GUILTY

(don't) Leave me alone
talkin' 2 myself
GUILTY
fated
Together When...
Marionette
glitter
MY ALL
untitled ~for her~

NEXT LEVEL

NEXT LEVEL
Sparkle
rollin'
GREEN
identity
Rule
LOVE 'n' HATE
Days

Rock'n'Roll Circus

Microphone
count down
BALLAD
Don't look back
Sexy little things
RED LINE ~for TA~

Love songs

Love song
crossroad
MOON
sending mail
Last angel
Like a doll
blossom
do it again
November
Virgin Road
SEVEN DAYS WAR

FIVE

progress
BRILLANTE

Extras

part of Me
Mirrorcle World
Sis just eliminate the rest from the top to the bottom because the best was saved for last.

she/her
I do love the lyrics of Last Links but it's not the most interesting-sounding song to sit through so it only got a 7.5 from me.
The evil is defeated?
YHZNzJJ.gif

If HONEY really IS for her doggies then I could give it like a point more for that being adorable as heck, but that doesn't make it any less annoying to listen to.

Born To Be... is just fine, not a lot to say about it. I liked Momusu's Olympics support song better.