Ayumi Hamasaki Discography Rate: Part 2 (FIN)

he/they
@eliminathan was polite enough to share his karaoke with us for this elimination! Thanks sis~

Y’all can enjoy this cover for free but I’m an independent artist and I need some sales sis.
H8akrR4.gif

she/her
I guess I can't really complain about songs I gave 7.5s to being eliminated when we're in the 7.6 average zone already??? And there aren't any songs left that I really dislike. But I am a little surprised that SEVEN DAYS WAR is still in this, of all songs. And Bold & Delicious! Wow.

But I could complain a bit about criminal, how dare you all? etc.

Guilty? Gone? You've just fucking killed me. And on Ayu's 20th anniversary, thanks for that!

Oh....

What's that? *ears to the ground*

Criminal is out too? With THE ELECTRIC VIOLIN SOLO? What.The.Actual.Fuck?!?

*cries*

I might as well commiserate Ayu's 20th Anniversary!

BUT GUILTY REALLY? I will forever be gutted we didn't get a PV for this!

(Screw you all! *bawls* *cries* *breaks down*)

I am tipsy and have no live performance of Guilty I can watch OK?

EDIT: Just drunkenly gathering my thoughts on those eliminations...

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Guilty? Gone? You've just fucking killed me. And on Ayu's 20th anniversary, thanks for that!

Oh....

What's that? *ears to the ground*

Criminal is out too? With THE ELECTRIC VIOLIN SOLO? What.The.Actual.Fuck?!?

*cries*

I might as well commiserate Ayu's 20th Anniversary!

BUT GUILTY REALLY? I will forever be gutted we didn't get a PV for this!

(Screw you all! *bawls* *cries* *breaks down*)

I am tipsy and have no live performance of Guilty I can watch OK?

EDIT: Just drunkenly gathering my thoughts on those eliminations...

giphy.gif
I love you.

S

send photo

bWcdr26.png

1 LOVE
(7.704)

AFGZzLe.gif

10 @digitalkaiser
6 @vikeyeol @ThisIsRogue

The PV is the best thing about this song, don't @ me. It's solid, and the highlight for me is certainly that "mae ni nante naratte irarenai" line, as well as the guitar solo bits. Aside from that it feels like Ayu rock-by-the-numbers, leading me to believe it was one of the tracks she rushed to fill out Secret. It's just not as eventful as her other rock songs, y'know?

eliminathan loves to witness a good scalping, "CLOCK OTAKUS A BIT SIS" and vague feels the same highlights as me, "excellent video, but the song's just okay to me." otenkiame settles for 1 LIKE, "Some heavy rock with Ayumi throwing in some fierce and aggressive vocals. It's a solid track, but it does little to stand out amongst her other rock songs. But then again there's something about I like." At least TABOO is moshing, "The delivery of both the verses and the chorus is so very catchy. 1 LOVE is truly a lot of fun."

evilsin makes it last, "The vocal effect on her voice in the verses is so weird here, like they didn't tune it out to perfection. I even thought it was the quality of the rip the first time I heard the song, but it persisted even in HQ. In other places we have a pretty great chorus and I adore how seemingly never-ending it sounds." And finally digitalkaiser takes another hit as he loses another 10, "I think this rocky moment is one of my favorite moments on this album, however I’ve started to realize I love most songs Ayumi creates with ‘love’ in the title. The chorus of this brings me so much nostalgia Ddddd!"

who hurt her with that thumbnail?

S

send photo

oO8s6Fg.png

SEVEN DAYS WAR
(7.727)

3UkjNFK.png

10 @RUNAWAY @One Stop Candy Shop @send photo
4 @evilsin @TABOO

All righty, this is the last Love songs track I'll let slide before the stan in me gets fighting because it's a cover and basically a bonus track. The only reason I actually have the original is because I found TM's greatest hits at the BOOKOFF here before it closed; I miss that place. I remember one time I mashed this up with the TM Network original and resulted in me needing an exorcism. Using miss @otenkiame's translation, the lyrics are as epically theatrical as you'd expect from the title. I think it's really sweet that Ayu covered this for her first time collaborating with Tetsuya Komuro; also shocked it took this long for them to collab in the first place, it seems pretty obvious but I suppose queen Namie does take priority.

One Stop Candy Shop loves how emotional our girl gets, "Anthem of crying when performing this song live." Coming in with perspective is eliminathan, "One of the weaker songs on such a brilliant album still ends up being a good song on its own." vague is only vaguely into this, "cute cover, i guess. could do without it on the album, but i guess i don't mind it." Same with TABOO who is only mildly here for covers, "Similar to her other covers, I’ve never been taken by this track. It’s simply okay for me." The part 3 covers are great so hint hint for the future.

otenkiame
stans, "Some 90's j-pop realness right here. Immediately brings me back to that era. Never heard the original, but Ayu does this song right. I wasn't even anticipating liking this." And evilsin adds, "Look, this is not bad per se, I just never listen to this." ThisIsRogue leaves a lovely note, "Ayu's voice sounds really strong here. The song has a great melody and the music production is really nice." And one last word from RUNAWAY, "I know this is a cover, but she made it her own, and it is perfect." Perfect like the rest of the album, right sis?

I was going to find the original for y'all but it's all live performances so welp

I love a bit of Seven Days War and didn't expect it to come this far. Speaking of T M Network, I also enjoy Beyond the Time.

I'd actually kinda forgotten there was a studio version of this because I always listen to the live version.

S

send photo

H7nNUhS.png

RED LINE ~for TA~
(7.750)

Q2kUAll.png

10 @One Stop Candy Shop @RUNAWAY
6 @junglefish @Weslicious

This one's for YOU, the fans!! It seems some of us were more appreciative than others for a song dedicated to her fanbase, Team Ayu. I love the production on this one, very jubilant. Just an incredibly sweet song overall, which considering the subject matter makes it all the more touching. It was originally a b-side for You Were... / BALLAD but makes for an optimistic album closer after a generally dark/gloomy album.

TABOO could do with less, "Another fan appreciation song. The album version with the a capella reiteration of the closing chorus is quite nice, but I could do without the minute and a half of chanting prior to this." Agreeing with them is otenkiame, "It's cheerful and uplifting for her fans. I can't hate on someone telling others to keep looking on the bright side of things, but I'm also not super into this either. I enjoy the outro until the acapella part," but Cutlery enjoys it just fine, "I like that Ayumi’s expression of hope and not giving up is the right amounts of inspiring and cliché, and even though I know I should despise the two-minute-long outro, it works." Less moved by the cheerfulness is eliminathan, "A bit boring compared to the rest of the songs in this rate but boring doesn't mean it sounds bad." And One Stop Candy Shop knows who the true fans are, "Dedicated to Tori Amos."

evilsin is touched, and also emotionally touched, "An ode to her most loyal fans, I can certainly feel the love. What did we do to deserve Ayu? We are not worthy." vague is similarly moved, "such a sweet song" and nothing gets by RUNAWAY! "I think this is a song for her fans, and that’s probably why it’s so good."

S

send photo

nWVDZdZ.png

(miss)understood
(7.772)

c6ehfTk.png

10 @eliminathan
5 @Animalia 6 @junglefish @ThisIsRogue

As far as title tracks go I'd probably have to go ahead and name this one as my least favourites, sorry guys. Small consolation: I like it more than GUILTY. It's a shame considering how phenomenal the rest of the album is, of course being one of her best. You guys are going to be sick of this critique by the time we're done, but aside from a few production quirks it feels by-the-numbers. Lyrically though, sis nailed it. Listening to it as I write this I think my 7 was a bit cruel, but a higher score wouldn't help it get too far anyway.

Now I'll look to y'all to give this song the justice it deserves. Nailing everything about the song is Cutlery, "A pretty straightforward and simple-yet-effective rock band song, with fantastic lyrics reflecting Ayumi’s doubt and inability to opening up to others, like the excellent 'Hiding a sharp knife of curiosity / Behind their gentle looking eyes'." Also stanning is TABOO, "(miss)understood is vulnerable yet powerful, moody yet calm. The juxtaposition is conveyed well throughout the song." The stan train slows down a wee for otenkiame, "I like that Ayu's calling out the fakers. However, coming after "is this LOVE?", this track seems somehow lacking a bit. Still down for rock Ayu always, though."

evilsin enjoys a trick title, "This one has a more classic pop/rock sound to it, which makes it sound a bit understated, but I like how Ayu opted for this as a title track," and vague enjoys it as well, "fantastic verses and that chorus is so aggressive; i love it." And finally, eliminathan can't stop gushing over his 10, "I love this type of sound from her."

We've been burning through the songs without PVs lately. Will they find relief tomorrow or shall we continue the slaughter?​