Ayumi Hamasaki Discography Rate: Part 2 (FIN)

Hey ya’ll.
Welcome to TABOO’s guest elimination debut!

masLkJV.gif

Despite this momentous occasion, I’m afraid I don’t come bearing good news: today we bid farewell to not only one of my own 10s, but to a whole album entirely. Get those veils ready, sistren, ‘cause it’s time to mourn a legend.

qMwbS8G.jpeg

E3MFHAV.png

talkin' 2 myself
(8.795)

Vfp2fUI.gif

10 @evilsin @Cutlery @EachSmallStep @BEST FICTION @eliminathan @TABOO
7 @ohnostalgia @ThisIsRogue

talkin’ 2 myself deserved her place in the Top 10 - let alone Top 20 - and I am shocked and disappointed to see her gone so early! As the lead single from GUILTY, talkin’ does well to showcase the album’s dark, brash and rockier tone. Ayu’s delivery is emotional and assertive, truly conveying the introspective lyrics. The pre-chorus exudes urgency, leading into the explosive, spitfire chorus. The production marries the strings with the electric guitars and drums perfectly. The PV has Ayu fiercely and regally commanding that dance troupe of hers, in spite of all that dirt upon her body. We’re even graced with a rare moment of choreography during the breakdown. Personally speaking, talkin’ 2 myself is one of the finest moments within Ayu’s career. But enough about me, let’s see what ya’ll had to say about this masterpiece...

Our beloved rate master send photo (8) just couldn’t keep up this time, “The chorus loses me a bit but the rest of the song is absolute fire from the lyrics to the production to Ayu's delivery. Wig.” Otenkiame (8) prefers it in the face, “It's aggressive and dark. Basically the Ayu I'm always up for. Love the speed and intensity at which she sings the choruses, especially in her lower register! A very in-your-face track.” Meanwhile, vikeyeol (8.5) reminisces, “This was one of my absolute favs when I was getting into Ayu, and while my love for it has lessened compared to most of her other bops, it's still great and exhilarating.” digitalkaiser (9) likes a bit of genre-bending, “I love the chorus in this, it’s such a fun switchup! A little pop ditty in the middle of of her hard rawk wasteland.” “it's a banger” vague (9) speaks some truth.

eliminathan (10) did not care for Ayu’s mud soaked corset, “One of the 10 or so songs I knew of hers before this rate and it's as good as ever. The post apopalockic video is new to me though and it's pretty lame.” evilsin (10) cries for joy hoping that this would survive longer than it did, “One of my Ayumi obsessions. The chorus was probably engraved on my mind for quite some time. That feeling of a new Ayu song that I used to get with each release was so strong with this one. Just such a pure and massive amount of love both ways. KYAAA! I love Ayu.” And cutlery (10) finishes us off, “The light strings paired with the menacing guitars acting as a warning of sorts, both for the listener and Hamasaki herself, makes her exercise in self-trust and escapism all the more credible.”

Farewell to both a phenomenal track, and to a fantastic album.

You know that destruction gives birth to creation.

Last edited:
S

send photo

I'm telling y’all now I did not put in the effort for these album round-ups. It'll be exciting to find out which one has the best overall rating! Something tells me it’s not GUILTY.

FXXsZDC.jpg

GUILTY
(8.097)

74. decision (7.500)
68. GUILTY (7.636)
57. (don't) Leave me alone (7.954)
51. MY ALL (8.090)
47. glitter & fated (8.159)
46. Marionette (8.181)
45. Together When... (8.204)
42. untitled ~for her~ (8.295)
22. talkin' 2 myself (8.795)

1. @RUNAWAY 9.65
2. @vague 9.20
3. @vikeyeol 8.95
4. @eliminathan 8.80
5. @yuuurei 8.65

1. @ThisIsRogue 6.80
2. @digitalkaiser 7.10
3. @aaronhansome 7.25
4. @TABOO 7.30
5. @evilsin & @soratami 7.40

RUNAWAY
So she can turn the iconic Mirror into its own chart-topping single, and basically one of her signature songs, but she can’t do the same with Not yet or taskinst? I mean I love her, but there’s so many missed opportunities. I mean, I get that she physically exhausted herself to the day the album was due, but they’re really good interludes.

Good sis RUNAWAY included lil’ album summaries for a few albums and I didn’t know where else to put them. If you want to send a word in for them there’s still time!​

S

send photo

ifYEkwA.png

momentum
(8.863)

Ttmh72A.gif

10 @One Stop Candy Shop @Animalia @vague @soratami @evilsin
6.5 @vikeyeol 7 @ThisIsRogue

Ayu is alone in winter again, and it's arguably her best setting. She hits it out of the park with momentum. Jesus, rip out our hearts a bit; this is properly soul-crushing. The production is a touch dated, but it reminds me of JRPG water dungeons and that certainly solidifies it in my plus column. And as if the song itself wasn't enough, she grinds our hearts into a fine powder with the PV, which has her seemingly shunned by everyone in the town, left alone in the bitter cold. I can't believe it's gotten even worse! It turns out she's dead, so she's like spending the afterlife crying alone in the cold. I really don't know why I decided to do this song at 1am. Someone hold me.

The production works its charms on otenkiame, "That acapella opening is so good! Surprisingly a ballad despite the name, but the momentum that does kick in makes for a really sweet and lovely chorus! I'm fond of the nostalgic j-pop sound it carries." The stress Ayu put into making this didn't pay off for ThisIsRogue, "I appreciate the effort that it took over 4 days to record this, but it doesn't really come across. Her vocal isn't any more impressive because of it, which is probably an indication of the beginning of the decline in her physical condition." Whew rough, guess he's not leaving her any flowers. eliminathan's feeling uncomfortable too, "So was she in a relationship with this old white guy before she died. I don't quite understand but I'm nervously bopping." it sucks when you die before your sugar daddy, doesn't it?

EachSmallStep appreciated having this nailed into their head, "She sang this at countdowns in a row for quite a while and it actually helped me like it more. Lives up to its title," and it's properly sweeping for Cutlery, "A song that sounds part ballad and part blockbuster film soundtrack smash, as it alternates swiftly between nostalgic quietness and abrasive passion in between its verses and chorus." digitalkaiser does a little flip flopping, we love a vers, "I actually used to like this much more than ‘JEWEL’, but I realize now JEWEL is the more unique song and this is pretty standard Ayumi affair. I do love the violins though!" TABOO's love for momentum, on the other hand, has never wavered, "I’ve always had a soft-spot for momentum. The lyrics are beautiful, and the conviction is there."

vague keeps up the momentum of positivity by unleashing ha inner stan, "oh, waow, this is soooo good!! gorgeous melody, heartbreakingly relatable lyrics, huge(!!) chorus, and dramatic as fuck. everything i want in a ballad from her." Equally as extra is evilsin, "This fucking song. So unapologetic in it onslaught of a chorus that I had to relisten to it right there and right then when I was listening to the song for the first time. I also kinda hate it, because it was one of the last songs for the album and Ayu was struggling with it trying to hit all of the notes and it made her cry in the result. Shoo, shoo, bad song. But I still fucking love it." She did that though! Queen.

S

send photo

TOP 20

MY STORY

Moments

(miss)understood

Bold & Delicious
STEP you
is this LOVE?
alterna
Will
HEAVEN
fairyland

Secret

JEWEL
BLUE BIRD

NEXT LEVEL

Sparkle
GREEN
Rule

Rock'n'Roll Circus

Don't look back

Love songs

Love song
sending mail
Last angel
do it again

FIVE

BRILLANTE

Extras

Mirrorcle World​

TOP 20

MY STORY

Moments

(miss)understood

Bold & Delicious
STEP you
is this LOVE?
alterna
Will
HEAVEN
fairyland

Secret

JEWEL
BLUE BIRD

NEXT LEVEL

Sparkle
GREEN
Rule

Rock'n'Roll Circus

Don't look back

Love songs

Love song
sending mail
Last angel
do it again

FIVE

BRILLANTE

Extras

Mirrorcle World​

Pretty much all my tens coming to tear the place down.

How fucking iconic is the fact that the first album to sashay away has this average? Wow. At least we did that.
The kii is RnRC will probably be like 7.5

Just caught up with the results and talkin' was done SO dirty, but I mean I get the competition is super tight at this point and it nearly got a 9 average so I'll deal

momentum is incredible, but I'm not too bothered it missed top 20 (at least over my 10s left kii)

she/her
momentum is so pretty, but it's one of those songs that suffers from placement for me - putting it right after JEWEL lessens its impact, imo. It's still amazing though. Also lmao @ "was she dating the old guy" PLEASE, I always thought it was obvious she'd been haunting that fucking lamppost in the town square for years and years, the town probably has legends about her, they're all like oh there's that crying singing ghost again, everybody close your shutters and look away ... but then Old Guy who probably wasn't old when Ayughost died is like no, we have to honor her somehow and goes out to leave her an offering and then everyone else does too and she can finally be at peace. Or something.

momentum is so pretty, but it's one of those songs that suffers from placement for me - putting it right after JEWEL lessens its impact, imo. It's still amazing though. Also lmao @ "was she dating the old guy" PLEASE, I always thought it was obvious she'd been haunting that fucking lamppost in the town square for years and years, the town probably has legends about her, they're all like oh there's that crying singing ghost again, everybody close your shutters and look away ... but then Old Guy who probably wasn't old when Ayughost died is like no, we have to honor her somehow and goes out to leave her an offering and then everyone else does too and she can finally be at peace. Or something.
What episode of Ghost Whisperer is this?

Stop daddy shaming her!

Last edited: