Ayumi Hamasaki Discography Rate: Part 2 (FIN)

S

send photo

qOw0cmi.png

STEP you
(9.159)

uNvzcxg.gif

11 @Cutlery 10 @eliminathan @BEST FICTION @TABOO @junglefish @digitalkaiser @vague @RUNAWAY
8 @Animalia @soratami @ohnostalgia @evilsin @One Stop Candy Shop 8.5 @yuuurei @send photo

The shame! My last non-10 (11 aside) score and it lands me in the lowest scorers. I think this is also the first song without a 7 or lower, so props for that! I've never quite been here for this, but I know exactly where the appeal comes from. STEP you is one of her most straightforward bops with the added bonus of being littered with the production quirks (miss)understood is so popular for, which picks up and blasts you in the face at the breakdown before the final chorus. The PV has Ayu in a creepy setting exploring her various personas, steampunk but make it cute.

Ayu's step on evilsin's neck isn't as strong as it used to be, "Loved it at the time of release, and still do, but a little less." The fatigue has set in for One Stop Candy Shop as well, "Good song, but a bit overperformed." ThisIsRogue stans every version, "The first version I heard of this was the 'DJ TAKI-SHIT More Step Up Remix' that featured on the 'Fairyland' single. It was more about island (calypso?) vibes and less rock. Both versions are 10s." And RUNAWAY merely manages some fanatic screams, "YES YES YES. YES TO EVERYTHING." eliminathan just appreciates some fresh visuals, "I absolutely love the song but never saw the video before. Queen of lookbooks and OOTDs."

Lil' emo digitalkaiser still got down to the fluffier bops, "This song was on HEAVY rotation before this album came out. I had stills from the video as my avatar for EVERYTHING. This is truly her most pop sounding album in all it’s bubblegum glory." TABOO likes 'em fluffy too, "One of her most perfect songs in my opinion. The production feels so clean and fulfilling, and her vocals fit the song so well." otenkiame asks the real questions, "I don't know why or who Ayumi's trying to step on, but you do you, girl. What a fun dance/pop bop." vague volunteers to be stepped on, "whenever i think of ayu, this is probably the first single i think of (after my 11, which hopefully is eliminated after this ddd). i had just joined ahs right around the time MY STORY came out, and was in full rabid stan-mode when this was announced. the wait for it to be released was excruciating. ofc it was so worth it in the end, 'cause this is a career highlight. oh, man, that chorus is everything!!"

It always sucks to lose your 11 at the final hurdle before the Top 10, as our resident villain Cutlery finds out the hard way, "This is a very in-your-face, pop rock diva at her absolute PEAK type of single, and I’ve loved its flirty and passionate vibe ever since my first listen." Bop away king!

S

send photo

fCKLGyn.png

do it again
(9.181)

F9fuZov.gif

10 @RUNAWAY @One Stop Candy Shop @eliminathan @Weslicious @Animalia @aaronhansome @EachSmallStep @vikeyeol @junglefish @send photo
6.5 @digitalkaiser (whore)

With only one score below an 8, it's clear to see how worthy do it again is of taking the silver for album tracks (I was going to say Will vs. BRILLANTE but I guess Will was on HEAVEN so...). Back to the song at hand, I'd honestly have it swap places with sending mail, but do it again has its own array of theatricalities that allows it to fit snug within Love songs and justify its placing. It's fast-paced, it slows down, it stops in the middle; it's just a complete roller coaster of epic. Just like the rest of the album it’s a complete masterpiece and I love to put this on and get dramatic. The PV is cute but it's fucking boring, oop. At least the dogs are cute.

evilsin is spending too much time looking at his waistline, "A great bop, that somehow now feels a bit bloated, but that's probably just Komuro's style." Not today Fatty, not today. i wish she'd put a little more effort into the chorus, 'cause the verses are pretty good and the bridges are freakin' fantastic, but i'm bopping regardless, so it's all good, i guess. vague wishes she'd do the chorus over again, "i wish she'd put a little more effort into the chorus, 'cause the verses are pretty good and the bridges are freakin' fantastic, but i'm bopping regardless, so it's all good, i guess." vikeyeol can't hear y'all though as he's screeching all the words, "The self referencing back to Naturally! I can see the repetition being annoying for some but I think it fits the song perfectly, it's always been one of my favs from her." And one more repitition tidbit from Cutlery, "The repetitions make this sound like it would fit well in a musical at first, but then it proceeds to give me dramatic swan song of an opera diva teas, opposite to what the title of the track would suggest." Just kidding, otenkiame could do with a radio edit, "Dramatic. And that piano opening! The triumphant bridge is the song's biggest highlight. Otherwise, a neat dark track that does get a bit too repetitive and lengthy."

TABOO reaches for things to stan about the PV, "This is perhaps one of the most enigmatic songs that Ayu has to offer. The repetition truly enhances the message of continued monotony. Absolutely stunning. As for that PV, walk those Dobermans, girl!!" And One Stop Candy Shop is right there with him, "Anthem of being a dystopian dog walker." To close, stan eliminathan should be proud of do it again's placement, "Probably in my top 5 Ayumi songs. The video's camera tracking literally anything is giving me JJ Project - Bounce vibes."

Last edited by a moderator:
S

send photo

TOP 10

I just want to take a moment to say how proud I am of this top 10. I feel there's a phenomenal representation between the albums (sorry GUILTY/R'n'RC) and I'd genuinely love for any of them to win. I know it's been bumpy getting here, but looking forward to this top 10 is what kept me going (and kept me from raging my way through the majority of these eliminations). Love y'all ♥

MY STORY

Moments

(miss)understood

Will
HEAVEN

Secret

JEWEL

NEXT LEVEL

Sparkle
GREEN

Love songs

Love song
Last angel

FIVE

BRILLANTE

Extras

Mirrorcle World​

evilsin is spending too much time looking at his waistline, "A great bop, that somehow now feels a bit bloated, but that's probably just Komuro's style." Not today Fatty, not today.
But you said I was a skinny legend and skinnier than Mariah. I only ate 2 of those 4 donuts!
E4KcnE2.gif

In related news, I now can reveal that I believe that it's Sparkle's game.

Last edited:
he/they
To close, stan eliminathan should be proud of do it again's placement, "Probably in my top 5 Ayumi songs. The video's camera tracking literally anything is giving me JJ Project - Bounce vibes.Probably in my top 5 Ayumi songs. The video's camera tracking literally anything is giving me JJ Project - Bounce vibes."
When a song is so nice you gotta say it twice.

Also you are all beasts for letting Do it again and sending mail miss out on the top 10.

Edit: dddd delirious mess I was meant to be saying do it again not talkin 2 myself

Last edited:
she/her
/quiet gasp at BLUE BIRD being eliminated
I knew I should have given that a 10!!! Maybe the problem is I love it too much - I used to listen to that song non-stop, like to the point that even people who didn't listen to Ayu recognized that song playing thru my earphones. My friend was like "do you ever listen to other songs or ..." I guess I got a bit tired of it, oops. I still adore it though, and I don't like these comparisons to July 1st and fairyland, it's better than either of those snoozefests. I think the video was kinda boring though.
This is a complete and utter masterpiece and I will hear nothing to to the contrary.
I'll just shut up and move on then! But good riddance you goofy-ass song.

Like I said before I really should have just given STEP you a 9, I have no idea why I took half a point off of it in the end. This is another one that I was obsessed with at one time, and the video was one of the first Ayu PVs I ever watched. I was a bit enthralled. It's a really fun song.

I'm surprised do it again made it this far, I like it but it's not a song that I really even remember exists until I actually hear it. It is a pretty cool song though, with pensive and interesting lyrics ... until you get to that repetitive chorus. I wish it had just a bit more to it.

This really is an amazing top 10, I obviously would like my 11 to take the top spot but I wouldn't be too sad about most of the others winning either. Aside from the 11, I've got 4 10s and 5 9s left.

S

send photo

Let's not rush into the Top 10 guns ablaze; instead, let's gently wade in... with a quiet piano riff

TCxg2ts.png

JEWEL
(9.204)

kdnAIVb.gif

10 @evilsin @RUNAWAY @yuuurei @junglefish @TABOO @aaronhansome @ThisIsRogue @Weslicious @eliminathan @send photo
7.5 @vague

I am beyond thrilled that JEWEL managed to make it into the Top 10. It was kicking around the teens (and even 20's) before finally securing its rightful spot. Everything about this song is so exquisitely delicate, the piano in particular standing out. And to make it even better, it's introduced with the ethereal LABYRINTH. LABYRINTH and JEWEL make for perhaps my favourite pair of adjoining tracks in her discography. This is the song I reach for if I'm feeling hectic and it never fails to give me that deep, relaxing breath to calm my nerves; it's almost lullaby-like in nature. I could see her singing this to her baby had her amniotic fluids not rotted. Oh well, at least she has her dogs.

Ready to ruin ha eye makeup, eliminathan is tearing up, "A beautiful, emotional ballad and I'm getting my life. The white eyelash look is also iconic." Bianca Del Rey who? evilsin won't be wearing this for his wedding day, but maybe he can still play it as his first song, "The purest, most innocent and fragile ballad. It feels like it looks in the PV - just one touch and everything crumbles. And Ayu's voice here only emphasises it as she carefully holds the person, her most precious treasure, in her arms." Hopefully otenkiame brings a camcorder because their memory isn't what it used to be, "I always remembered this song for its video...and that's it. But, seriously, it's a really beautiful piano-led track. It's not as memorable as her other ballads, but it makes for a good listen." vague is... not invited, "the video is gorgeous. the song? not so much." Cutlery can swipe their place though, "On the surface, it could be dismissed as a simplistic ballad, but the light piano-driven composition is very pretty and perfectly highlights Ayumi’s voice as she affectively thinks of this person who's a treasure to her."

digitalkaiser found Britney's rhinestone Toxic outfit in the gutter, "Stunning video, record breaking queen. When will your faves encrust the video set in jewels? I’ll wait. I love how soft and introspective this song comes across. I said it in another comment, but I really enjoy Ayumi songs when they start with a really recognizable piano riff." RUNAWAY isn't just crying, he's sobbing, "YAS. This one brings tears to my eyes every time. Also, that LUSH video is EVERYTHING." TABOO keeps their crying to a light shower, "This song never fails to bring a tear to my eye. JEWEL is so gorgeous and gentle. Ayu’s lyricism paints such a glorious picture. This one is truly special." And a lovely last word from our former host ThisIsRogue, "One of the most beautiful ballads Ayu's ever recorded. The music production is simple, and coupled with her vocals, create something really stunning. And the video is serving Arctic winter extravaganza, as Ayu drips in diamonds like some Russian billionaire's wife. The overall packages is just Ugh-mazing. I can't even cope."

S

send photo

mZcdX3M.jpg

Secret
(8.192)

89. Beautiful Fighters (6.886)
71. Born To Be... (7.568)
67. It was (7.659)
65. 1 LOVE (7.704)
58. Secret (7.909)
56. until that Day... (7.977)
30. kiss o' kill (8.613)
28. Startin' (8.659)
21. momentum (8.863)
14. BLUE BIRD (9.068)
10. JEWEL (9.204)

1. @vague 8.818
2. @RUNAWAY & @One Stop Candy Shop 8.772
4. @evilsin 8.727
5. @ohnostalgia 8.681

1. @vikeyeol 6.409
2. @digitalkaiser 7.590
3. @mi|kshake 7.863
4. @eliminathan 7.909
5. @otenkiame & @TABOO 7.954

RUNAWAY

honestly, I really wish Not yet was included, because its amazing. Really great intro. Also, taskinst is INCREDIBLE. Wish it had been turned into a full song. Maybe that’s Ayu’s secret.

interludes are part 3 binch