Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste | Page 325 | The Popjustice Forum

Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Mr.Arroz, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Re: Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste (Album, 2013)

It seems very different if you're a female rapper though, since the gay audience seems more drawn to you than to male rappers (as a general observation, I'm not saying this applies to everyone in these groups).

2. Re: Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste (Album, 2013)

I am astonished that of all the tracks she has put 'out there'...it is ATM Jam which is getting her the most positive coverage from the hip-hop fraternity. I'm mildly irritated because I don't like the song. I don't really know how I'll feel if she scores a hit out of ATM Jam.

3. Re: Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste (Album, 2013)

Female rappers are in a totally different position to male rappers, because they are nowhere near as marketable to straight men (the main demographic for rap) as their male counterparts.

4. Re: Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste (Album, 2013)

Oh come on. As long as it gets her album out, I don't care if she redoes Harlem Shake.

OH WAIT

5. Re: Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste (Album, 2013)

Yawn. Yes, '212' isn't a club staple and had no impact anywhere at all. The end...

I like 'ATM Jam'. I would like it more if Pharrell's part wasn't repeated so many times.

6. Re: Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste (Album, 2013)

Oh wow I'm quite surprised with that, pleased anyway!

7. Re: Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste (Album, 2013)

Yawn. A club staple?!? Not a club staple! A whole club staple. What kind of history altering impact?!?!

8. Re: Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste (Album, 2013)

It's dissapointing to see her finally getting some coverage for a song that sounds so generic compared to her greater material.

Basically 1991, 212 and Esta Noche should have been huge. ATM Jam is quite shit.

9. Re: Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste (Album, 2013)

Pharrel sounds absolutely lethargic on it. Like bored to death to be there. Azealia should be delivering that entire song. I know I would enjoy it more, that hook really is great. Pharrel could've done some background vocals or something if his presence was so necessary.

10. Re: Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste (Album, 2013)

They don't even mention her once in that write-up on XXL Mag.. That's a shame, if her music is getting attention (even if the song is terrible) they could at least talk about her.

11. Re: Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste (Album, 2013)

Leave it to Azealia to hype a track for upwards of 2 months, still not have an HQ version out, and randomly drop another song out of nowhere.

12. Re: Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste (Album, 2013)

This is so good. I can't wait for the full version.

13. Re: Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste (Album, 2013)

Her voice sounds great on that. Excited!

14. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

Re: Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste (Album, 2013)

That's pretty good; didn't take her long to jump aboard the Starships route though, did it?

15. Re: Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste (Album, 2013)

Will anything that she did with Paul Epworth be on the album? Think of how much better her album would've been had it come out on XL as originally planned.

16. Re: Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste (Album, 2013)

I really don't like Paul Oakenfold's Ibiza sound with those basic throbbing synths, but I love Azealia's singing on this and I really like the fact that she recorded such an ├╝ber commercial-sounding dance track. Her chorus vocals are buried in synths in the mix, but they sound like someone could easily remix the track into perfection.

17. Re: Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste (Album, 2013)

Wasn't Azealia dropped from XL long before she even recorded 212?

I like "Venus" WAY more than I like "ATM Jam."

18. Re: Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste (Album, 2013)

Some jumbled thoughts and opinions:

I'd rather have an album of Azealia/Machinedrum/Lone tracks over anything and everything with Paul Epworth actually. Nothing against the mighty Epworth (of course) but it just feels a little unexciting and too obvious to go with him. We've had the obligatory Diplo track which is good but again his work feels very overfamiliar. Paul and Diplo are a little bit too ubiquitous these days. The fact we have talent like Lone willing to collaborate with Azealia excites me more than anything she might do with Paul Epworth. I'd love for her to work with Com Truise. I think Disclosure will do her justice because they seem to adore the garage scene from back in the day - and that would be a good fit for Azealia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.