Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste | Page 617 | The Popjustice Forum

Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Mr.Arroz, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In regards to what Best Fiction was saying, I don't really think she's that bothered about Iggy's commercial success. I think Azealia's problem is that people are forgetting the roots of hip-hop. It's not a fringe music style or culture anymore, it's permeated mainstream culture everywhere. I just think Azealia finds it annoying that it's not being respected and honoured as a "black" thing. Anyone can rap and make hip-hop music now... The issue is when its black roots and black artists are being pushed into the ground in favour of mediocre shit by white folks ("smudging"). Azealia's issue go beyond just Iggy's success.

Sorry that was super-rambly. Also what is the context of Action Bronson's tweet? What is he talking about?

2. Azealia and Brooke have beefed on Twitter before. I'm pretty sure they're not friends.

I remember reading an interview where Brooke said that she met Azealia when she was hired to perform at Azealia's lesbian sister's birthday party as a stripper and they were cool until Azealia found out that Brooke was an aspiring rapper and started being shady and "bullying" her. I can't find the source right now, but I'm pretty sure that it was from some French magazine a while back.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  3. It's getting really hard to take someone seriously whose primary form of communication is Twitter. Broke is an amazing record but it's tiresome and bothersome that she is more active in trolling Twitter than she is in her music career. It's moving to see how emotional she is about the issue and I understand what she is saying, but.... then get out there and do it better than Iggy. That's what Beyonce and Nicki have been doing.

4. All of this.

5. Because white people are the only ones who play the 'I don't see colour' card.

6. I just roll my eyes and laugh when I hear my fellow whities say that now. It's just ridiculous when it couldn't be so far from the truth.

7. I remember this. Although neither Brooke or Azealia consider themselves to be rappers anymore.

8. I really don't know how to feel about her at the moment. I think her heart is in the right place but she comes of as quite immature and bitter. Making it very it's us against them. Making Iggy Azeala her enemy is not helping the cause for equality.

9. Because she is creating an issue.

10. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

"Soda" is just so perfectly everything.

11. How long 'til she clashes with Ebro? Such a petulant child.

12. LJB

LJB

Azaelia is justified in everyone she says about Iggy. It's just a shame she isn't a tad more eloquent.

13. You tried but no.

14. "A stopped clock is right twice a day."

15. Uno

Uno

I never thought about it before, but I read an article about people who said "I don't see color" and it basically said that you're denying their identity by saying that. I know people have good intentions when saying it, but you're basically saying "I don't recognize that you're black, you're a normal human," which is pretty offensive in itself.

Mr.Arroz likes this.
  16. A Nicki-Azealia "Murder To Excellence" style track about cultural smudging + race (and gender) more widely would kind of be the best thing that could happen for both of them right now. The fury inside both of them needs to come across on record (The Pinkprint is amazing but I'm so anxious to hear her spit about literally right now in her life/brain). Find a beat and a sample, lock them in a studio with coffee for 48 hours and have it out by NYE, please and thank you.

17. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

That's really such an idiotic thing to say to someone. "I'm colorblind!!!" = you don't believe there is valid truth to my lived experience as someone nonwhite. What-the-fuck-ever.

18. I can't help but feel like she is also attacking her audience. I think the subtext can be EASILY read as not only should white people not be successful rappers, but they also should not be the audience the music is directed towards - because it's not the inherent culture the music is supposed to empower.

So anyone on this forum of the Caucasian variety should not enjoy Tinashe, Nicki Minaj, Trina, Lil' Kim, TLC, Destiny's Child etc. because their genre is deeply rooted in out of a history that we are not familiar with, which to me is absolutely fine and logical. I can't listen to some of Trina's material and say "oh yep - I know what she's talking about, I've been there". But I appreciate her flow, her smart lyrical ability and attitude.

But Azailia's comments make me feel extremely weird about listening to '2 On' literally right now - because apparently, I am a appropriating a culture by supporting an artist not only by buying her album, paying to see her live and then even more money to see her open for Iggy because Tinashe is the truth. This is because I am a white person who thinks Tinashe is the absolute next best thing. But Tinashe is an R&B/Hip Hop artist, whose genre has evolved in a harsher climate than pop. And even though Iggy's music may be crap to some, apparently she is not welcome... so therefore, I am not either.

Before we all start throwing torches up to support Banks, I'd like everyone to revisit their Best of 2014 lists and just see how many times someone of a different skin color was heralded and supported by individuals whose color was different than her own.

If a white person wrote the same thing about Azailea when 212 was dominating gay clubs, unfortunately populated with young, white gay men... I wonder if she'd react the same way to those fans who literally helped 212 take off and become what is was.

I can never be a fan of Azaelia, because according to her - people like Macklemore and Iggy aren't welcome in her artistic community, then I as a caucasian male are not welcome at her shows or anyone who she considers her peers.

Rant over. Drag me girls.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  19. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

[video=youtube;Bu5ZaGtCF0U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu5ZaGtCF0U[/video]

Just now seeing this. She was always so vibrant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.