B.Y.O.B (Bring Your Own Ballot) | The Nu Metal Rate | Winner Revealed | Page 15 | The Popjustice Forum

B.Y.O.B (Bring Your Own Ballot) | The Nu Metal Rate | Winner Revealed

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Great analysis all around, wish I could like each comment individually. I get the sense that Korn and Deftones were the most egregious eliminations form this and I 100% agree with that.

berserkboi and soratami like this.
  2. @soratami

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#29 - tie

[​IMG]

Disturbed | Stricken | 7.356 (+0.018 average / 0.3 points)

Highest: 10x1 (@Ana Raquel) 9.5x1 (@Maki)

Lowest: 5x2 (@CorgiCorgiCorgi, @soratami) 6x2 (@livefrommelbs, @Sprockrooster)

Album: Ten Thousand Fists - 2005

Charting: [​IMG] 95

Lead voclaist David Draiman explained the song is "about those moments when someone comes into your life and it's almost as if you've been afflicted with a disease you can't get rid of - devastating and debilitating."

This is one of the first Disturbed songs to include a guitar solo, a feature the band's guitarist, Dan Donegan, grew out of the songwriting process for the album. "When we started writing, we went back to the basics of just kind of jamming out riffs," he told The Flint Journal. "That brought us back to some of our influences. It made the songs seem like some of them could use guitar solos. We just thought we would expand on that. We're trying to contribute in our way bringing this element back to music."

Donegan also explained that grunge bands probably influenced the lack of solos in their previous work as well as in rock music in general. "Ever since the grunge days and this 'alternative' thing, there hasn't been a whole lot of soloing going on," he said. "When we first formed, we had a lot of guitar solos in all the songs. As we were developing, our songwriting - for me, personally - was starting to become more influenced by like Soundgarden, Alice In Chains. Soundgarden, especially, really didn't have any solos."

The band also wanted to incorporate guitar solos on the album as a tribute to Dimebag Darrell, the late Pantera guitarist who was fatally shot by an audience member while performing with his band Damageplan in 2004. The album is also dedicated to Dimebag.

In the music video, directed by Nathan Cox, the band rocks out in an abandoned asylum, where a man meets up with his affair partner only to be caught by his girlfriend. The clip was shot in Los Angeles at the same abandoned hospital used for scenes in the 1984 movie A Nightmare On Elm Street.​

Despite its horror cred, the location wasn't that scary, according to Draiman.
    "For an old abandoned hospital it was actually the furthest thing from creepy," he told Chart Attack. "We shot the main performance parts in a neutral, brightly lit room that looks like a loft. Then again, Mike [Wengren, drummer] did a solo sequence in the boiler room, where they did the Freddy Krueger sequences, which was a bit creepier."

Wengren admitted he was a bit freaked out during the sequence. "I was expecting to see some Freddy, for him to come out and kick my ass," he laughed. "He didn't want to come out though. He's too scared. He's got the claws, but I've got drum sticks."

The guitar solo element makes a lot of sense and why I was kind of on the fence about adding something from this album or the album prior (Believe). This is kind of the linchpin album between Disturbed being at the forefront of nu metal's sound and heading towards a more classic metal sound. Nu metal is a lot of things but it was never big on having guitar solos. That's always been one thing that "real metal fans" hold as a key characteristic of "real metal" and why nu metal falls short for them. That being said, I got some feedback from the top scores here pre-rate to have this song included, so it was definitely fan service. Also, I've grown to love it a lot myself over the years, so that made it easy. Personally, I would chosen a song from Believe because, to me, that's one of the best nu metal albums ever made -- top to bottom.

Commentary

@berserkboi - 6.5 - Ditto!

He meant to "Down With the Sickness" which was a grower for him.

@DominoDancing - 6.5 - More interesting than Down With the Sickness, and woah, an actual guitar solo in a Nu Metal rate, but I'm not sure I'll revisit this after this rate.
    @Maki - 9.5 - Ooh, I'm liking this a lot! Very melodic and memorable.​
    The way you sound like it's a new discovery and you literally mentioned having the song be in the rate in the Queue thread, dd.
    @Ana Raquel - 10 - Easily one of my favorite tracks in nu-metal history and it makes me question why I haven't listened to their discography yet. It's been like 13 years since I heard them like come on I had enough time. A 10,5 contender.​
    Or maybe it was just Ana. Well I'd say a lot of Believe (my favorite album) are slow growers and not Ana-bops, but there are some and I'll post one here.
    Songs
    Here's a massive bop from Believe.
    ---​

Here goes not one but two 10.5's!!!

upload_2021-12-16_9-11-23.jpeg

Nope! @soratami is 2/2!

upload_2021-12-16_9-12-10.jpeg

TRUSTCompany | Downfall | 7.356 (+/- 0)

Highest: 10.5x2 (@If You Go, @WowWowWowWow) 8.5x1 (@Twitch Mo)

Lowest: 5x1 (@Sprockrooster) 6x3 (@berserkboi, @soratami, @DJHazey)

Album: The Lonely Position of Neutral - 2002

Charting: [​IMG] 89 [​IMG] 91

"This song pretty much sums up who we are as far as music, it mixes heavy riffs with softer vocals which can sometimes also get heavy to match the riffs," said an unidentified band member in an email interview in 2002.

The video features frontman Kevin Palmer walking down a street, leaving everything he walks past being blown by a massive gust of wind. It found significant airplay on MTV2.

The song was found on several extreme sports games and Rock Band, plus was a theme song for a few Pro Wrestling campaigns. Per tradition with nu metal anthems.

I discovered this song after the nu metal craze was over because when @Twitch Mo and I would do a Madden NFL franchise mode together on co-op, the song would come up quite often on shuffle and so I found out who they were and downloaded. It's pretty run of the mill for me though when compared to the rest of the genre.

Commentary

The least amount of commentary yet, so hopefully we hear from the 10.5-givers in-thread!

@berserkboi - 6 - Okay end to the playlist!

The end of the French rate playlist was better dd.

@DominoDancing - 6.5 - The only band in this rate I had literally never heard of before. Sounds a bit "early 00s band contest", but it's also not bad in any way, compared to some of the songs in this rate I disliked.

Yeah, it's very run of the mill and those other songs are dynamic in comparison. Sorry not sorry! ":P"

Songs

3. [​IMG]

4. Well it wasn’t for the video that’s for sure

5. I don’t really have a good reason for my high score in the end. I feel like I was working at the record store when their album came out? So maybe repeated exposure triumphs in the end. I do enjoy that the song isn’t totally screamo but sometimes you just gotta shout it all out!

6. Criminal...Movies had better not be out next!

As for Downfall, I knew it before the rate due to Youtube AMVs back in the day (same goes for Crawling in the Dark). Not much to say besides I really liked it then and still do!

DJHazey, WowWowWowWow and berserkboi like this.
  7. Disturbed // Stricken 7.4
    TRUSTCompany // Downfall 8

DJHazey, berserkboi and If You Go like this.
  8. I return to the forums and we lose a big Disturbed song!

DJHazey and berserkboi like this.
  9. "Downfall" is way better than you could reasonably expect for a little-known nu-metal band that debuted in 2002. I kind of get the vibe of a Deftones that went mainstream instead of experimental, albeit that the vocals are a bit on the weedy side. Infectious chorus too. Guess I have a new discovery!

"Stricken" is good stuff, not least because it was my first Disturbed song thanks to Guitar Hero. Great chorus. (...Wait, what are they talking about? Alice in Chains and Soundgarden had plenty of solos...)

10. Okay, so maybe we should just kept eliminating songs form the Sampler section...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

System of a Down | Toxicity | 7.450 (+0.094 average / 1.5 points)

Highest: 10.5x1 (@DJHazey) 10x1 (@Sprockrooster)

Lowest: 4x1 (@soratami) 4.2x1 (@Untouchable Ace)

Album: Toxicity - 2001

Charting: [​IMG] 25 [​IMG] 70

This is the title track from System Of A Down's second album, which like their self-titled 1998 debut, was produced by Rick Rubin. After building a following in Los Angeles, the band signed to Rubin's label, American Recordings. They took their time with Toxicity, recording over 30 songs for it before cutting it down to 15. It was issued on September 4, 2001, just a week before 9/11. The lead single, "Chop Suey!" got pulled from playlists and for a few months nobody was talking about the latest music. As life went back to (a new) normal, promotion on the album resumed, and in January 2002, "Toxicity" was released as the second single. It did well, but the more accessible (by System standards) "Aerials" was issued as the third single and did even better. The album sold over 3 million copies in America.

The songs that were recorded for Toxicity but didn't make it were instead released on their next album, Steal This Album!, in 2002.

The video was the first one directed by the band's bass player, Shavo Odadjian, who co-directed it with Marcos Siega, who did the video for "Chop Suey!". Like "Chop Suey!" the video shows the band performing on a small stage surrounded by fans.. Odadjian explained to MTV: "The universe is the sacred silence and sleep, and the kids are the disorder. So how do you control the disorder in that universe? You can't. To me, that's 'Toxicity.'"

To me it's the online community on Overwatch, yet I keep playing nightly.

Drummer John Dolmayan told MTV: "'Toxicity' was one of those songs where we hadn't done anything like it before. It required something completely different than any other System song did. The guitars are just, in some ways, really powerful, and in others, they just step back so that the melody can take over a little bit. So it's a really good combination of aggression and melodic elements, which represents this album."

That's why I love this song so much because the 'setup' of the opening verse kind of puts you into a trance and is sung beautifully. It's such a thrill to sing along to, actually more like 'perform to' on your own, because you really feel yourself get into it.

During a performance at the 2005 Download Festival, Daron Malakian said that the song was about Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), a condition that causes a person to have trouble concentrating.

The song was ranked number 14 on VH1's 40 Greatest Metal Songs.

It's still loved today, proof is in the almost billion stream on Spotify and over half billion plays on Youtube. Just this year I was watching an ASMR streamer in Italy named Violet who decided she was going to sing along to some of her favorites and the ones I heard were "In the End" and this.

So why did we just kick it out at the bottom of the main act songs?

Commentary

@livefrommelbs - 5 - Ugh, I hate dishing out scores like this - but I really struggle with this band. Always have!

Not everyone loves everything, it happens.

@beserkboi - 7 - A little better than CS!

And folks that is faaar from his lowest score for SOAD, so buckle your seatbelts!

@Twitch Mo - 9 - This Toxicity album was just amazing I played it to death and still never get tired of it.

Memories of my brother and I piling into @Twitch Mo's Ford Ranger pickup truck and hauling into the city on Tuesday nights for Magic the Gathering at the card store and we ALWAYS had this album on repeat. I know basically every word, to this day.

@DominoDancing - 9.5 - Another amazing SoaD song. Slightly less anthemic than Chop Suey! But otherwise there's nothing to complain about.

Songs

From Toxicity, the opening tracks which is a song about how the prison system in the United States is a complete mess.

From Steal This Album!, a strong example of their great political message songs that are also as catchy as it gets.

11. Toxicity is the first SoaD song to leave?

...okay. Sure.

12. The results get even worse, the next main act song leaving on Monday...

Well let's put it this way, the most 10's lost so far in one song has been four. The song at #27 has seven 10+ scores!

13. I have to catch up with this rate big time, but seeing that "Toxicity" is the first System of a Down elimination and it happening before we even got to the top 20 is blasphemous.

DominoDancing, DJHazey and berserkboi like this.
  14. Oh no. I have a bad feeling I was one of those...

Anyway, any one of SOAD's songs other than "Lonely Day" being the first one to leave is silly.

15. Were I the only 10 for Stricken?????? I...

DJHazey likes this.
  16. We've had a handful of questionable results so far, but this takes the cake. Just downright ridiculous...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

System of a Down | B.Y.O.B. | 7.488 (+.038 average / 0.6 points)

Highest: 10.5x1 (@iheartpoptarts) 10x6 (@Ana Raquel, @CorgiCorgiCorgi, @Ironheade, @Sprockrooster, @DominoDancing, @DJHazey)

Lowest: 1.3x1 (@Untouchable Ace) 2x1 (@berserkboi)

@iheartpoptarts unfortunately becomes the first voter to lose both their 10.5's and/or 11.

Album: Mezmerize - 2005

Charting: [​IMG] 26 [​IMG] 27

This was the lead single from Mezmerize, the fourth System Of A Down album and first since Steal This Album! three years earlier. They had enough material for a double album, but decided to split the songs into two albums and release them six months apart. It was a good call: both albums debuted at #1 in the US, giving them two #1 albums in 2005.

The band toured into 2006, but split up, eager to work on other projects. When they got back together in 2010, they found they could perform live together but had a much harder time recording, and another album never materialized.

In the 2003 lead-up to the Iraq War, System Of A Down made it very clear they opposed it, and used the video for their song "Boom" (directed by Michael Moore) to draw attention to protests. By the time "B.Y.O.B." was released two years later, it was clear the war would be a drawn-out conflict with no clear victory.

The video was directed by Jake Nava, whose other work includes Beyoncé's "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" and Shakira's "She Wolf". In the video, the band is surrounded by soldiers who wear mind-control helmets flashing words like "obey" and "buy."

When the band played this on
    Saturday Night Live in 2005, they brought their own F-bombs, which NBC muted. At one point, however, they took a close-up of guitarist Daron Malakian, who yelled, "F--K Yeah!" This made it on the air and created a stir. The band performed "Aerials" later in the show without incident, but were never welcomed back.

This won a Grammy in the Best Hard Rock category.

I...get that this song comes hard and that System of a Down is an acquired taste especially for those who don't normally listen to this kind of music. However "yet you feed us lies from the tablecloth!" *guitar riff* and "everybody's going to the party, have a real good time!" *guitar riff* "dancin' in the desert, blowin' up the sunshine!" is a really good pop hook and should have prevented the tank-job scores it received. I get that the "why do they always send the poor!" shrieks might be jarring, but overall the song is far too good to deserve this service.

Commentary
    @berserkboi - 2 - Pantomime Nu-Metal isn’t the T!

@livefrommelbs - 3 - These 3 points are solely for the 'Everybody's going to the party' bit. The rest is a racket that I can't abide by.

At least you recognize a good hook.

@unnameable - 9.5 – strong commentary on war here.

@CorgiCorgiCorgi - 10 - I remember watching them live on SNL where they messed up and dropped the F bomb. I don't think they were invited back?

Indeed, I've added that bit above.

@Sprockrooster - 10 - My heavy airplay of this song drove my mother almost insane. She really wished my heavy rotation of Anastacia could return instead (which she was also sick and tired of at the time)​

I see you and that pun, sometimes people go overboard with stupid little things, don't they?

@DominoDancing - 10 - Fantastic. The way it successfully switches between its different sections and brings both thrashy energy and super poppy choruses is unrivaled. Malakians mixed-slightly-too-loud harmony vocals should have been a hint for some of the shortcomings of these albums, but here it works fine.

If you take him out, the song is basically perfection, but easily overlooked.

@iheartpoptarts - 10.5 - I came here to 11 this, but you know, discoveries. Musical ajshdfjsdgfsjdkhgfsdj and I love it so much. You think it bops as hard as it can possibly bop, and then it goes off, and then it goes off again. Not to mention it’s fun at karaoke.

Nu metal night at karaoke has to be the best thing ever.

Songs

Here's that cover of it by Skye Sweetnam's band Sumo Cyco. I've posted it on the forum before and it's amazing.

Next: Our first Linkin Park elimination.

17. Clearly I shouldn't have worried my System of a Down scores were too low, when my 4 wasn't even among the three lowest scores for that song. I do enjoy the pop chorus, too bad about everything else.

livefrommelbs, berserkboi and DJHazey like this.
  18. What is even the point of this if we're not gonna get our lives to the racketbops?

Some song that's not exciting enough to put anyone off is gonna win and I'll just be like, oh.

19. I heart you for responding with a pun as well!

That said. These results for SoaD are downright gobsmacking. How in earth are they the worst of the act or even unworthy of top 10 as a whole.

Downvoting SoaD in a rate like this might be even more ridiculous and nonsensical than the anti-ballad brigade flocking into the Mariah and Whitney rates.

DJHazey, berserkboi and DominoDancing like this.
  20. I will say this is my only really low score for SOAD (as I recall) so I didn’t just tank them. This was by far my least favourite of their music here though!

DJHazey likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.