B.Y.O.B (Bring Your Own Ballot) | The Nu Metal Rate | Winner Revealed | Page 20 | The Popjustice Forum

B.Y.O.B (Bring Your Own Ballot) | The Nu Metal Rate | Winner Revealed

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Any order? You sure about that?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Linkin Park | Crawling | 8.569 (+0.013 average / +0.2 points)

Highest: 11x1 (@berserkboi) 10x4 (@livefrommelbs, @If You Go, @unnameable, @WowWowWowWow)

Lowest: 5x1 (@Ironheade) 6x1 (@CorgiCorgiCorgi)

Album: Hybrid Theory - 2000 *album winner is In the End*

Charting: [​IMG] 16 [​IMG] 79

This won a Grammy for Best Hard Rock Performance. At the time, Mike wasn't too clear on what the award meant, thinking it was akin to best rock song. Later, he understood it referred to the studio performance, which, he told Kerrang in 2020, was entirely due to Bennington's vocals. "His vocal in that song, it was even hard for him to do some nights on tour, and it's impossible for anybody else to sing it that well," he said. "Every other cover of it is a mere shadow of the Chester performance of the song."

The video was nominated for Best Rock video on MTV's Video Music Awards. It lost to Limp Bizkit's "Rollin."

Chester told Rolling Stone magazine 2002: "The song is about taking responsibility for your actions. I don't say 'you' at any point. It's about how I'm the reason that I feel this way. There's something inside me that pulls me down."

Chester claimed it was hard to perform this song live due to his own personal experience similar to the problems in the song. He felt as though his past drug addiction, to crystal meth and other hard drugs such as cocaine, was literally under his skin. In an interview he said: "'Crawling' has caused me the most trouble live more than any other song. 'Crawling' is about feeling like I had no control over myself in terms of drugs and alcohol." He also called it "the most literal song lyrically I'd ever written for Linkin Park."
    Chester explained in a 2001 interview how the song relates to self-esteem issues: "In a song like 'Crawling,' we are talking about self-consciousness or the lack of self-confidence. That's a big part of that song because when you get into those situations with a lot of people looking at you, you find faults in yourself and you get nervous and want to change them. Things like that are really charged topics to be talking about, and when we started to write lyrics we found ourselves energized and interested in writing these songs and going after them with a lot of intensity. Sitting in front of a computer thinking about the crap you did before you go to bed, that you thought you could have done better – that will freak you out sometimes."

Brad Delson, the band's lead guitarist, said this song is an example of how Bennington's vocal talent helped Linkin' Park improve their songwriting. He told Madison.com: "What happened when Chester joined the group, we moved from 'Hey, these are the kind of singing parts we want,' to 'Wow, these are singing parts that we never even thought of,' because his range and versatility are such that, like 'Crawling,' who would think to write that melody? You couldn't because there are very few people in the world that could probably sing that. So that's an example of when I say he really expanded our writing ability in the sense that he has such a range vocally. He really was kind of the final piece of the puzzle, and he brings vocal talent that, when we were looking for a second vocalist, we didn't see anything close to his talent in anybody else."

Cover versions have been performed over the years by the bands Coldplay's Chris Martin, Staind's Aaron Lewis, 30 Seconds to Mars's Jared Leto, New Years Day, Dream State, and Bad Wolves.

At the 2017 Linkin Park: Celebrate Life in Honor of Chester Bennington show this was played by the band with Oliver Skyes of Bring Me the Horizon on vocals and DJ/producer Zedd filling in on drums.

Commentary

@DominoDancing - 7.5 - I could rate this higher simply because it's a bit of an early Linkin Park classic, but the shouty one-note chorus always felt a bit flat.

Yeah, it was never this huge favorite of mine from the on-set (8), but I always liked it well enough. I get that it's this huge Chester showpiece, but at the same time it wear thin rather quickly and starts to sound overbearing.

@Maki - 9.5 - The chorus bangs hard. Impeccable production, too. Probably my favourite Linkin Park song featured here.

@unnameable – 10 – I always loved the intro of gentle synths before Chester starts screaming.

It's certainly a memorable way to kick things off, that's for sure.

@livefrommelbs - 10 - Numb's spiritual and musical sister. Covers some serious subject matter with gusto, and is a powerful showcase for Chester's soft and hard vocals.

It's a bit better than Numb, but yes they're definitely a pair.

@WowWowWowWow — 10 — during the 3 weeks that I once thought I had the talent to become a mashup artist, I made one called “Crawling In The Sandstorm”… which was exactly what it sounds like. Well, mostly just the chorus over the chorus. It actually was good. Nothing compared to “Like I Love His Kiss” though, with Cher’s The Shoop Shoop Song over Justin Timberlake’s debut solo single. Oh, 2002.

That sounds...incredible actually.

@berserkboi - 11 - The song that got me into Linkin Park and the genre at large. The perfect blend of chaos and melody. Chester’s performance and the lyrics are harrowing!

It's truly unsettling to now go back and see the background for some of Chester's earlier lyrics and imagine the pain inside of that man. R.I.P.

Songs

"Krwlng" from Reanimation.

Next: A 4 point+ jump in scores and above 8.8 average. #4 and #3 are close and then #2 and #1 establish another level entirely by themselves.

2. When we look at the final four, I'm sure anybody could make an argument for any of the songs being #1, but would you have foreseen this being at #4?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Linkin Park | Somewhere I Belong | 8.831 (+0.262 average / +4.2 points)

Highest: 10x5 (@livefrommelbs, @Ana Raquel, @CorgiCorgiCorgi, @Sprockrooster, @DJHazey) 9.8x1 (@Untouchable Ace)

Lowest: 7x2 (@soratami, @DominoDancing) 7.5x1 (@Twitch Mo)

Album: Meteora - 2003

Charting: [​IMG] 10 [​IMG] 32 [​IMG] 1

This started out as a sample of Chester playing acoustic guitar. Mike took the sample, replayed it, effected it, flipped it backwards and cut it up into four pieces, creating the main sample of the song. By the time it was finished, almost a year later, the band had rewritten most of the music around the sample.

Mike and Chester wrote over 30 finished choruses for this song, each time scrapping the last one in search of something better. They ended up recording the final version one week after the rest of the album was finished, in the studio where they were mixing.

Mike: "The first thing you hear in the song is a sample. Now, the sample sounds like keyboards but what it is really, is a guitar progression Chester played. It just shows the evolution of parts. The guitar part that Chester played had a cool progression to it but the sound of it was too acoustic guitar. So what we did was, we flipped it backwards. We effected it. I cut it up into four pieces and instead of arranging it 1-2-3-4, I arranged it 4-3-2-1 because it had been reversed. So it evolved into this thing with the different manipulations in the computer. It evolved into this thing that it is now. In fact, you can hear an early version of that on our Party At The Pancake Festival DVD. There's a version of that towards the end of the DVD that's playing. You kind of get an idea of what it sounded like in the second stage of it's lifetime and now it's at it's third when we finished it. So that song is cool for that reason. Another cool thing about it is that it's really the first time you hear some optimistic views, some optimistic lyrics from us. I think that lyrically this album is a little older, a little more mature hopefully."

This won for Best Rock Video at the 2003 MTV Video Music Awards. This was also the first video that aired on Fuse TV.

The band's turntablist, Joe Hahn, directed the music video. It begins with Chester walking into a room that bears the Chinese characters for fire and water on the door. As he falls asleep, the symbols come alive in his dream as the band performs in front of flames and Mike raps in front of a waterfall. Hahn told MTV of the concept: "It's another very visual concept. It's basically a dream sequence that's taking place, and the familiar objects in the room are turning into the reality, which is the dream, which is not the reality. It's a whole play on your mind."

Commentary

@DominoDancing - 7 - I hoped they've come back with something as strong as In The End, but well, they didn't. On average I'd still say Meteora turned out to be the better album.

Interesting take, I've always assumed in my mind Hybrid Theory was the better overall album, but a closer look tells me there would probably be more Meteora songs in my Top 10.

@Maki - 8.5 - I'm surprised this wasn't a huge hit. I love how Mike and Chester share the vocals during verses and the chorus is so good.

Well define huge hit, for this genre it was pretty big and the first song in this rate that hit #1 in a country outside of U.S./UK (New Zealand). I personally love the way they share verses even more. "When this began..." following by Mike's rapping is a killer combo.

@unnameable – 8.5 – Chester really sells this one.

@berserkboi - 9.5 - Another worthy winner!

@Ana Raquel - 10 - This was one of the first Linkin Park's songs I had illegally downloaded in my mp3 along with In The End, so it was pretty much an introduction to them. A great one.

It's like Untouchable and Girl Overboard being the first two songs I illegally downloaded for Girls Aloud. Sometimes the first impression goes a long way as far as whether someone will stick with it when listening to an artist for the first time.

@livefrommelbs - 10 - I'm not sure there's an intro to a song that slingshots me back to a time in my life the way the start of Somewhere I Belong does. I feel it in my bone - being in my early teens, being in high school, being unsure of myself, uncomfortable in my own skin, unable to always make sense of my emotions. A personal rumination on the power of music, in 3 minutes and 34 seconds.

This, all of this.

Songs

Another random rap-centric nu metal band I loved at the time. Their album Introduction to Mayhem (2000) was pretty solid, but it was all about the anthem known as "Loose". I've even thought about entering it in a song contest before, but the only thing that holds me back is that the middle eight that repeats "are you down bitch, are you down? Are you down with a phat sound..." which I guess really isn't that crazy in the grand scheme of things, but anytime a song from this era throws the b-word around so flippantly, I fear for the song's chances. I loved this music video too, especially the hyped-up girl cruising around and partying. I kind of had the hots for her back in the day, whoever she is. In the music video Hazey Hall of Fame with the girl in the "Believe" video.

3. Yeah, this probably should have been on the podium over Breaking The Habit. What a song - I definitely wrote my commentary while all up in my feelings while listening to the song but it still checks out. The fact that it has such an impact and I STILL couldn't give it my 11 says a lot about how much LP's work impacted my adolescence.

berserkboi and DJHazey like this.
  4. Also, kiiii at this horny little typo I made

5. YESSSSS Breaking the Talent reaching the top 3!!!! It's obviously going next but I'm so proud of it!

6. Grrr, I hate when y'all take the drama out it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh that's right, that was always in the Top 2, along with In the End. Bye Numb!

[​IMG]

Linkin Park | Numb | 8.938 (+0.107 average / +1.7 points)

Highest: 10.5x1 (@Untouchable Ace) 10x7 (@livefrommelbs, @CorgiCorgiCorgi, @berserkboi, @If You Go, @unnameable, @Sprockrooster, @soratami)

Lowest: 6.5x1 (@Ironheade) 7x2 (@Twitch Mo, @iheartpoptarts)

Me: 7.5

Album: Meteora - 2003

*So it's going to be Hybrid Theory vs. Meteora in the finale as the founding fathers would've wanted*

Charting: [​IMG] 14 [​IMG] 11 [​IMG] 1

This song was conceived just one week before the band entered NRG studios to begin recording. Built around the intro hook, the song came together quickly and almost effortlessly.

Mike explained to Shoutweb: "I think it was a nice way to end the album because it kind of sums up the record. It's very recognizable as our sound. It sounds like a Linkin Park song but it does have some mood that Meteora has if that makes any sense. Maybe I can say that better. When you hear it, you can easily recognize it as a Linkin Park song but it obviously belongs on Meteora. It obviously belongs in this new group of songs just because of the way the tone of the song is and the lyrics are. It's kind of about those times when you've got no feeling left or you just don't care. It's almost like exhaustion or something which funny enough is how we felt after touring last year."

Linkin Park DJ Joe Hahn directed the music video. The girl in the clip, played by Step Up 2 actress Briana Evigan, is feeling so much pressure from her parents to be perfect. She wants to be an artist, but no one believes in her. At the beginning, she is doing some really amazing sketches. Halfway through the video, she is arguing with her mother. She feels like she's in her own world because she is humiliated at school (she gets yelled at by a teacher, falls down a flight of stairs, and when she joins people for lunch, they all walk away from her) and everyone is running around her really quickly. Right before she starts painting at the end, she's sitting on the floor and if you look carefully, you can see she's cut "Numb" into her arm, because she feels numb to everything.

Linkin Park collaborated with Jay-Z to record a new version called "Numb/Encore" ("Encore" is from Jay-Z's 2003 The Black Album). Jay-Z handpicked Linkin Park as his partners for an MTV project that was supposed to involve bands creating mashups for an album and performing them on a TV special. Instead, Jay-Z and Linkin Park took over the whole thing and released their own mashup EP, Collision Course, and got their own half-hour MTV special. The star track, "Numb/Encore," won a Grammy in 2006 for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration; Linkin Park and Jay-Z performed it at the ceremony.

Linkin Park sang this, with help from comedian Ken Jeong, on season 1 of
    Carpool Karaoke in 2017.

In November 2018, the song became the band's first video to reach over one billion views on their YouTube channel and has over 1.7 billion views today.

Commentary

@DominoDancing - 7.5 - An In The End rewrite that turned up the level of cheese quite a bit. Still enjoyable, but not as good.

Agreed, In the End stayed timeless while this one became overplayed and dull after awhile.

@Maki - 9 - A classic. Not among my ultimate ultimate faves, but very much a staple of this genre.

@Ana Raquel - 9 - poor popeye :(

@Sprockrooster - 10 - Collision Course was such an iconic moment in music.

@unnameable – 10 – possesses the best middle 8 in all of Nu-metal.

I don't know if I'd go that far!

@berserkboi - 10 - Another worthy winner, and a big contender for my 11!

I'm sure you're happy with the whole Top 3, even without your 11 present.

@livefrommelbs - 10 - A modern rock classic that deserves every single superlative that's ever been slung its way. If this won the whole rate I'd be a happy man, as this was the runner-up for my 11, a perfect 10 and easily one of the most emotionally-affecting, powerfully impactful songs on this list. It does such an exceptional job lyrically of capturing a sentiment so many of us can relate to - but leaves things vague enough for individuals to apply that feeling to their own lives and circumstance. I feel like all of us have felt THIS at one point or another - I certainly lost count of the times it soundtracked my teenage angst and made me feel a little less lonely. Also, just a flawless performance from Chester, may he rest in peace.

I understand how this could be relatable for so many, but the lyrics have never really hit me at all for some reason, I have no idea why. I love when songs have universally applicable deep lyrics though, that's one of my favorite characteristics that I look for. At least your 11 made the final 2.

Songs

Finale: In the End vs. Breaking the Habit

- Both songs received one 11 and one 10.5.

- Both received seven 10's.

- Meaning both songs received seven scores below a 10.

- The difference in average between the two was 0.013 and 0.2 points. One of closest finishes in rate history.

- After two voters the eventual runner-up had the lead.

- After three voters the eventual winning song got its lowest score, it was in 13th place!

- After nine voters the eventual winning song took a brief lead and gave it right back.

- After fifteen voters the winning song took the final lead.

7. Wow I thought for sure Numb would be top 2, and most likely win! A shocker!

In The End for the win!!!

8. #7 System of a Down | Chop Suey! 4
    #6 Linkin Park | Faint 6
    #5 Linkin Park | Crawling 10
    #4 Linkin Park | Somewhere I Belong 5.2
    #3 Linkin Park | Numb 9.5

9. The top 3 songs all got 10s from me, so this turned out pretty well in the end. Both In the End and Breaking the Habit would make great winners, but I'm rooting for the latter.

10. I feel like ‘In The End’ deserves to win this, but I wouldn’t put it past the boppier, more electronic-sounding song to take it given the forum within which this rate is taking place.

11. Let's go team bops!

12. Oh my YESSSSSS!!!! Go, Breaking the Habit!!!!!!!!!!!!

soratami, berserkboi and DJHazey like this.
  13. Numb was robbed! Hmmm.... I marginally favour In The End to win, but the top 3 is amazing.

14. I'm so sorry, I totally fell behind with this rate (though I have been checking out which songs were eliminated and some choices were made), but I will properly catch up in the next few days.

Out of the top 2, I'm definitely rooting for "Breaking the Habit"!

15. [​IMG]

Top 2

Okay, it's finally time to finish this off. As stated on Friday, this was one of the closest battles I've ever seen as a rate host. It really could've gone either way, so let's break it down, shall we?

~ The Elevens ~

In the End: @livefrommelbs
    Breaking the Habit: @Ana Raquel

~ The Ten Point Fives ~

In the End: @If You Go
    Breaking the Habit: @WowWowWowWow

~ The Tens (Seven Each) ~

In the End: @Ana Raquel, @CorgiCorgiCorgi, @Untouchable Ace, @berserkboi, @unnameable, @Sprockrooster, @soratami

Breaking the Habit: @livefrommelbs, @CorgiCorgiCorgi, @Ironheade, @berserkboi, @iheartpoptarts, @Sprockrooster, @soratami

but in the end...one score really mattered

The lowest score either song got was my 6.5 for Breaking the Habit.

But when @Maki send the second to last ballot with an 8.5 for Breaking the Habit and an 8.25 for In the End, that sealed it and the pair of 9's @DominoDancing didn't change it. The 0.2 difference in points was established here and won out!!!

[​IMG]

Linkin Park | Breaking the Habit | 9.497

Lowest: 6.5x1 (@DJHazey) 8x1 (@Twitch Mo)

*The irony that us "O.G." listeners are on the bottom, cant; script this shit, etc.*

Charting: [​IMG] 39 [​IMG] 20 [​IMG] 1

Mike Shinoda had been trying to write a song around this lyrical idea for over five years but nothing seemed to work. While the album was being put together, Mike began working on an interlude, crossing a digitally manipulated beat with strings and piano. Brad and Joe suggested that Mike make the small interlude into a whole song. The piece was extended to three minutes and sixteen seconds and went under the name "Drawing." When Mike took it home to write lyrics, it only took him less than two hours to get the song that he was trying to write for years. With some finishing touches of live piano and live strings, the song was finally complete - six years in the making.

Shinoda said this was inspired by the multitudes of fans who have expressed to the band how their music has helped them. Whether it be with depression, drugs, low self-esteem, traumas... or anything really. It's very much about the reciprocity between the band and the fans.

Mike told Shoutweb: "This was going to be an instrumental track that was 10 minutes long. The guys convinced me to turn it into a full song. I'm proud of this song in a lot of ways. I put a lot of work into it. I just think it's really powerful. Chester's performance is one of his best. Lyrically, it's kind of just about getting away from the parts of you that you do not like. It goes into great deal about that type of situation. The things about our lyrics in general is that we spend so much time on them that there is no way I can tell you in conversation any better than the actual lyrics. If I sit here and think up something, that's an off-the-top-of-my-head summary of what those lyrics are about whereas those lyrics took five years to do. So those lyrics are the most accurate depiction of what that's about, not what I can tell you."

This won the Viewer's Choice award at the MTV Video Music awards. The video was animated by Studio Gonzo and supervised by Kazuto Nakazawa, an artist who worked on the movie Kill Bill. The clip revolves the police investigation of a man who jumped to his death and the lives of the onlookers surrounding the scene.

Commentary

@Maki - 8.5 - I like how this is chill yet boppy at the same time. The strings during the chorus are a really nice touch, too.

@DominoDancing - 9 - A very welcome detour from their usual style, without actually giving up a lot of their usual. Ahem, turns out that focusing and a strong Chester vocal melody and completely skipping over Shinoda's vocal contributions suits them well.

@berserkboi - 10 - 10/10 artistry etc

@Sprockrooster - 10 - This track was a weird unison in musical love between my hiphop-loving brother and me.

@livefrommelbs - 10 - This has always been a fave. Just has such a great urgency, and I love the lyrics.

@Ana Raquel - 11 - <333333 When I first heard this, I remember enjoying the sound but I didn't play it on loop until around 2012/2013 where it just became part of my life. Whether it was to overcome some problem or to read questionable shoujo manga, I had this playing all day. There are several songs here I truly enjoy, but none of them had the same impact Breaking The Habit did, so it would be unfair of me to divide this 11 into a 10,5.

Congratulations! There was always some love for this song, but when I got to this rate and compared it to everything from this genre, it just didn't measure up for me anymore. However, I'm glad you all were passionate about it and rallied behind something that became a bit of a surprise winner!

[​IMG]

Linkin Park | In the End | 9.484

Lowest: 8x2 (@Twitch Mo, @iheartpoptarts) 8.5x1 (@Ironheade)

Charting: [​IMG] 8 [​IMG] 2

Mike Shinoda: "I remember putting this together in our rehearsal studio on Hollywood and Vine, working overnight in a room with no windows. I had no idea what time of day it was; I just slept when I was tired, and worked on this song until it took shape. The first guy to hear it was Rob, who told me (I'm paraphrasing) that this was 'exactly the kind of song he wanted us to write."

Shinoda thought this was the most important song for the band to release at the time because it contrasted with the more aggressive tunes in their catalog and introduced their range of skills. "It showcased kind of the breadth of things that we can do: melody and rapping and beats and rock stuff and screaming and whatever," he recalled in a 2020 interview with SiriusXM. "It was kind of the song that brought all of the stuff we did at the time together into one song."

Unlike the rest of the band, Chester wasn't a fan of the song at first and didn't even want it on the album, let alone as a single. When it ended up being a hit, he realized choosing singles wasn't his strong suit. "I basically decided at that point I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about, so I leave that to other people who are actually talented at somehow picking songs that people are going to like the most," he explained in a 2014 interview. "It also gave me a good lesson, as an artist, that I don't necessarily have to only make music, in my band, that I want to listen to. More often than not, something that I like, very few other people like, and something that those people like is something that I kind of like, or don't like at all. And that's cool, it gives me a new appreciation for the songs. But, you know, now I love 'In The End' and I think it's such a great song."

This video was shot on a Los Angeles sound stage. The statue's head, where the band is performing, was built there, but the rest was CGI. The areas where Mike is standing "in the desert" are real - he was sitting on real grass and he was walking on real stones, but they were about 10 feet by 5 feet. The rest was, you guessed it, CGI. Halfway through filming, directors Joe Hahn and Nathan Cox decided to set water pipes off above the band, so they all got completely soaked. Nathan could see how irritated the band were by this, so he invited his friend (who's in a Bluegrass band) over and he performed some Linkin Park songs. In the video, if you look very closely, you can see Joe's belt buckle, which says "MR HAHN." The song is about feeling like there's no point in living, and was originally seen as being very negative, so the video was very positive. It's like a cycle of life (the song starts and ends with the piano) - the desert is very dead, but the rain comes and at the end, there's flowers and rivers and butterflies.

At the 2002 MTV Video Music Awards, this won for Best Rock Video. Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth, who were touring together at the time, presented the award. Before announcing the winner, Roth asked Hagar what his favorite Linkin Park song was, and Hagar said he didn't know any Linkin Park songs.

Upon the album's 20th anniversary, Shinoda spoke with
    Rock Sound about the timeless nature of the song's lyrics. "There's a weird battle with hopelessness and the ephemeral nature of time and our lives that the song is really about," he said. "What's so odd about the song is its almost talking about these things and saying 'I don't have any answers.' Because usually a song isn't about having no answers right? It just kind of runs itself around in a circle lyrically. And especially as a young person that's just how I felt, that's how we all felt, we just didn't know what to make of things. In a sense that's still what goes on today, it's a timeless and universal thing."

Commentary

@Maki - 8.25 - I'm surely in the minority here, but this has never been amazing. The lyrics aren't mature enough when compared to most of their songs in this rate and I feel like it could've been even more anthemic, but it's still a nu metal classic for a reason, especially with that recognizable piano riff.

@DominoDancing - 9 - What a bop. That's one hell of a chorus AND a great middle 8. This and Papercut are the only two songs of Hybrid Theory I now enjoy more than 20 years ago.

@soratami - 10 - Actually let me bump my In The End score to 10.

Almost decided the winner, if not for @Maki

@berserkboi - 10 - An absolute classic I support seeing in the next Winners Rate!

@unnameable – 10 – this song dominated the music video channels at the time. Spectacular visuals, Chester at his angstiest, Mike with his best flow, everything in the band perfectly tight.

@Ana Raquel - 10 - One of the songs that made me into a metal music listener (albeit still in a casual way). My bet to win this rate, now watch me being wrong.

@Sprockrooster - 10 - Musically this is a highlight barely any other band ever reached and yet they surpassed it for me themselves. If either Waiting For The End or Iridiscent was here I would have given them my 11 without hesitation. Now they came very close for my 11 or 10,5 but managed to miss out. But definitely in my holy trinity for the rate.

@livefrommelbs - 11 - Few songs fall under the 'Where it all began' moniker quite like In The End. Let Old Man Melbs tell you a wee story. When I was 7 I got my first CD player. Over the next few years I collected a few CDs with pocket money (mostly pop albums - Britney's Baby One More Time, etc.). But I was hardly the die-hard music fan I would become. Then on my 12th birthday, in December 2001, a friend gave me some CD singles as a birthday gift. One of them was the 'In The End' (another was Alien Ant Farm's 'Smooth Criminal', the rate synergy!). I'd never heard any of LP's music before - but it's no exaggeration that it changed everything for me. I credit this single as igniting my love affair with music as I know it today. With kickstarting a fervent music collection throughout the entirety of my high school years. And for beginning a love of rock music that endures to this day (and throughout high school was equally strong as my love of pop, if not moreso!). So this song deserves an 11 based on impact alone - to say nothing about the excellence of its music. Those opening piano chords. The way it all swoops in after Chester's heavenly 'It starts with one thing...'. Mike's rap just feeling so effortlessly cool. And then that MONSTER of a chorus. A flaw-free demonstration of that melodic SUPERPOWER that Linkin Park possessed. There's a reason they were as big as they were, for genre fans and casual listeners alike. They knew how to write mammoth radio-ready hooks in the Nu-metal style. 'In The End' has always been one of the best examples of that. The fact that it's also such an integral song to my own musical story is just icing on the cake.

This is incredible little backstory, thank you. I would have to credit a couple of CD's for doing this for me. The first CD I ever remember hammering was either The Presidents of the United States of America's album or Wu Tang Clan's Enter the 36 Chambers. I know they sound random, but that's what they were!

16. ~ Main Acts ~

@DJHazey | 9.125
    @If You Go | 8.888
    @Maki | 8.850
    @Ana Raquel | 8.775
    @unnameable | 8.750
    @CorgiCorgiCorgi | 8.475
    @livefrommelbs | 8.450
    @Twitch Mo | 8.300
    @WowWowWowWow | 8.250
    @Sprockrooster | 8.025
    @berserkboi | 7.975
    @Ironheade | 7.850
    @Untouchable Ace | 7.755
    @iheartpoptarts | 7.625
    @DominoDancing | 7.450
    @soratami | 7.000

~ Nu Metal Sampler ~

@DJHazey | 8.700
    @Twitch Mo | 8.517
    @Ana Raquel | 7.917
    @WowWowWowWow | 7.683
    @Sprockrooster | 7.450
    @Maki | 7.425
    @unnameable | 7.233
    @iheartpoptarts | 7.183
    @Untouchable Ace | 7.123
    @livefrommelbs | 7.067
    @If You Go | 7.008
    @Ironheade | 6.833
    @soratami | 6.833
    @CorgiCorgiCorgi | 6.383
    @DominoDancing | 5.133
    @berserkboi | 5.050

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  17. Looks like I was a bit tired when writing my commentary.

18. Fantastic winner, fantastic Rate, fantastic hosting!

Thank you @DJHazey <333

19. Breaking The Habit is certainly an unexpected winner! I gave it a 9.75 so not mad with the results though In The End is my favorite Linkin Park song so it was robbed etc.

I suddenly remembered this...

20. Wow I should have elevened In The End to make sure it won.
    I don't mind Breaking The Habit though.
    Linkin Park were just on another level compared to every other artist in the rate. That's why they're the focus.

Which is also why we should have only had 1 System Of A Down song at most.

Thanks for the rate @DJHazey well done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.