Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 21 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Well, here's to you dragging me a bit more then.
    [​IMG]

Jwentz and ohnostalgia like this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Not when I asked you if that was the score you really wanted to upgrade, laced with a strong undercurrent of sadness!!! Although I definitely think Body Work is the strongest of the dance collabs.

But yes- soooo cute.

LE0Night and send photo like this.
  3. [​IMG]

This cured my depression.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

tegan: i'm going to play this quiet song now and i would love it if you sang. or you could just try to hoot through it but i think it would be awesome if you sang it. let sara hoot. okay sara, why don't you just wave at them 'cause they're just going to keep doing that the whole time.

sara: *waves to massive cheers*

audience: thank you.

sara: you're welcome. if only all of my relationships were that easy. if only i could satisfy everyone in my life with just a flick of my wrist..... that's what she said.

[​IMG]

#102. Wrists 5.959

HIGH:
    8.00 x 1 @constantino
    LOW: 4.00 x 3 @2014 @send photo @Slice of Life
    MY SCORE: 6.50

ALBUM: Sainthood
    WRITER: Sara

Poor Sara's wrists; they failed to satisfy the PopJustice crowd. This is a weird one for me. I adore the lyrical content but I don't think the production or songwriting makes this song as effective as it could be. There's some really emotional stuff here, lines like "oh my wrist's so weak but if i could lift your body out of a crash of the waves that have battled me" and "so before you tell me you're not worth the worry, hurry/ hurry hurry hurry, i like to hurry when i'm on you" and "oh my wrist's are weak, i carry weight like a shadow/ so pull me next to the window, pull me next to the light." I don't really understand the part about books having wrists, but you know what Sara?- metaphor me to death, Queen.

@constantino (8) singles out what I did but for very different reasons: "I love how that they’re experimenting with tension here, especially with such modest means, just guitars and their voices." Fresh off his dragging from yesterday, @digitalkaiser (5) says nothing objectionable tonight (so far): "I’m not sold on this song, its got the basic parts of brilliance but it inevitably falls apart by its slightly odd production. Very interesting lyrics and melodies, but also those fall into ‘demo’ territory to me." @Slice of Life (4) also uses the demo word: "Sounds very demo-y... meaning not up my taste. Sorry demo lovers." You've never loved a demo in your life????????/ What a strange existence.

aux, eccentricsimply, Ferk and 8 others like this.
  5. Um...yeah...that stung...

ohnostalgia likes this.
  6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

To add insult to injury for the first track from a mandatory album to go. Sorry!!!

constantino likes this.
  7. Hello, Don't Rush was supposed to be the first Sainthood track to leave!

8. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

Oh, so that's how it feels to be a rate villain. Not too bad. Hehe.

And I love how shady they are to each other. I aspire to reach their level of shady.

send photo and ohnostalgia like this.
  9. Okay I'm alright with this one going.
    I still feel shame though. I'm sad its a sainthood track to go so early, though doesn't bode well for misunderstood sis sainthood.

(Body Work is okay but its no Feel it in my Bones, melancholic trance bop of the 2000s )

Ferk likes this.
  10. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

sara: when we were fifteen and we started writing songs in high school tegan used to have this weird religious thing where... we weren't religious, our parents didn't tell us about anything religious until we were- um actually i'm not sure when they had the plan to tell us, they were both recovering catholics and so they were, they didn't want to tell us anything scary until we were ready to absorb it. and so they didn't tell us anything and when we were five years old we went to have our first sleepover with non-family friends- like they were friends of our family but they were not family. and the kids were our age and before we had a really wonderful sleepover and everything was good- i mean we had a wonderful day and then that night when we went to have a sleepover um the girl child that slept in her room, um she was used to praying i guess before she went to bed and she told me and tegan, well she said actually "do you know who jesus is?" and we were like no. and then she said "well you better take him into your heart or you will burn in the river of hell forever." that's what she said. she was five, she was five years old.

anyways... that did not sound awesome. i didn't know really who jesus was or what burning in a river of hell would mean but i- well we were totally traumatized. we didn't do very well with change and so we were like, we didn't really know what death was at this point so we were like whatever that sounds like it was scary. and so anyways my mom was really ticked off and she didn't really want us to know about anything scary cause she wanted us to be sweet and not cry or feel scared about death. but that pretty much started us on the path of being worriers.

tegan: *sits down on stage, puts chin in hand, smiles exasperatedly*

sara: like we always worried that we were going to die or that if we were apart from each other that the other one would die or like i started to think i had cancer in all different parts of my body.

*crowd laughs at tegan*

sara: i know, it's so funny. assholes. and yeah i was like six and thought i was going to die and people were like come on- nah i'm just kidding. well it was cute, it was cute in that way where like now in retrospect i probably seemed really sweet that i was like "i think i'm dying" and my mom's like "you're not dying" but inside i'd be like "yes i am."

*tegan talks to guitar player and makes ok sign to crowd*

sara: or one time my mom took me to get an ultrasound to prove that i didn't have cancer and then she took me to MMMMuffins afterwards to get a muffin and- that's what it was called - and after i ate the muffin my mum was like "see? now you know because of the ultrasound that you don't have cancer" and i was like mmhmm but inside i was like "yes i do." and um anyways, that was all information that leads to the part where we started writing songs and i would always write songs about things i probably thought up when i was on drugs- which don't do drugs they're bad- but i did and i used to write weird, like just incoherent shit. and tegan used to write about jesus all the time. and we... i swear to god there's a real payoff at this story. but we, one of our very first public gigs in highschool was at an all ages club and it was like no alcohol and it actually was religious, it was a religious, like it was called soul centre. no idea it was religious when we got the gig.

tegan: *stands up and starts air guitaring*

sara: so we played this show and we had all these songs that are like incoherent, tegan has a bunch of songs about jesus, and then i had one that was about god.. are they the same person?

crowd: no

sara: ok. anyways. at the end of the gig the people there loved us cause they thought we were a religious band. because tegan was singing about jesus.

tegan: it was pretty alternative. the band that opened, the lead singer had a shirt that said satan sucks dick. it's pretty progressive.

sara: yeah it is. like they were really... [to tegan] you hit your face again. are you on drugs? were you drinking? what's happening?

anyways, so um this next song, the reason why i'm telling you all of this totally - like it seems right now that we're just talking to talk like we're on cocaine- but the point is tegan is about to play an unreleased song that kinda reminds me of when we were in high school 'cause it's really dark and it's like you were goth. like tegan did not have a normal lightbulb in her room for like three years, she had one blacklight. you couldn't see anything. i would go into tegan's bedroom and i would be like "tegan...? hello?" and she would be hanging from the ceiling. my room was full of rainbows and tegan was like in the dark in the corner crying. it was so weird.

[​IMG]

#101. Every Chance We Get We Run 5.97

HIGH: 10.00 x 1 @ethansiafbjork
    LOW: 2.00 x 1 @Jwentz
    My Score: 6.00

Album: Extras
    Writer: NA

I hope this elimination helps ease @constantino's pain. I think it's fair to say that my opinion on electronic dance music is fairly well known on this forum (hint: I think it's mostly trash) and this collaboration did nothing to change my mind. Every Chance We Get We Run isn't horrible, but it sounds like so many other songs from the early 2010s that I need to take a minute to roll my eyes. The breakdown is so unbelievably tired and irritating; We Found Love this is not. I actually really enjoy Tegan & Sara's vocals here and I think they did the best they could with the material, but no thank you. Banish Guetta from the music scene please!

@Petty Mayonnaise (5) has ha priorities right: "If these features aren’t going to get them chart success, can they at least be better than mediocre?" Remember that time Closer hit like #90 on the Hot 100??? What a time to be alive. @digitalkaiser (6) invokes the good sis Mariah: "First off, I haven’t heard this before, so this will be a fresh score! I like the song, it sounds very David Guetta of course. Its interesting to hear the girls feature on a song with such an obvious ‘beat drop’ moment, but they are so talented they work it out. As for Alessia; I don’t know ha. Probably my least favorite dance collab." I don't know ha either teeb. @Slice of Life (5) continues his one man vocal engineer critique: "Meh. I'm so over this sound now. Also, why are the vocals sound so... quiet and unprofessionally recorded? It's weirding me out." Meanwhile @Sprockrooster (4) would like to remind you to exclude him from the narrative: "This is so 'of it's time' and hearing it now first, without nostalgic feelings makes this for me pretty lifeless fodder."

@Posh Spears (5) will probably join my EDM boycott march: "I can’t give a high score to a song that has a super basic and outdated drop, but they sound really good on the verses. Would love to hear an alternate, EDM-free version!" Me too now that you've thrown this idea into the universe. @constantino (5) does not agree: "Work at their vocals being as lifeless as the contrived EDM production! C’mon method acting! Snatch that paycheck girls!" @Jwentz (2), I need you to make the march, not leave me high and dry: "*Jumps off of bridge to that horrendous breakdown*" Maybe you can save @eccentricsimply (7) who gave this an oddly suspicious high score for a (hopefully) shady comment: "That beat drop though."

@send photo (5.5) will run my anti-EDM organization's special subcommittee on the State of David Guetta: "I feel I would’ve enjoyed this more when it originally came out. Definitely dated but I wouldn’t expect any more of Guetta." His first mission will be to investigate this comment from @First2Run (7): "David Guetta generally provided non-generic beats during this era and I’m thankful, even if this is one of his less significant projects that didn’t evolve into much." WHERE_ARE_THEY.GIF???? Next you'll be giving @Ferk (8.6) an uncomfortable visit: "I was nervous when I saw that they'd done a Guetta collab but he managed to keep his shit tendencies in check and it turned out pretty great. Very soothing and beautiful." You know you owe me, @send photo.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  11. THAT BANTER THOUGH.

#bantergameonpoint

Jwentz, send photo and ohnostalgia like this.
  12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

It took me probably twenty minutes to transcribe it but it was worth it. Which by the way is why I'm going so slow for the people wondering. The transcribing takes a bit of time but I want to share their humour with you all.

I LOVED MMMUFFINS!!!!

send photo likes this.
  13. It is appreciated, I love it.

send photo and ohnostalgia like this.
  14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Comments like this are why I think I'm much more of a Sara than a Tegan. I'm pretty sure I had this exact same conversation with my parents (well minus the ultrasound).

Slice of Life and send photo like this.
  15. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

Best banter yet. SARA IS ME. I also love rainbows and shit. And I worry a lot.

The other extras bar Don't Find Another Love can go next please thank you.

Ferk, ohnostalgia and send photo like this.
  16. Oops!

That breakdown is hideous though.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  17. Oh no, that one was good. At least he didn't do this one as major of an injustice as he did to Titanium.

Ferk likes this.
  18. Yeah I don't even have it listed as David Guetta on my iPod. I try to disassociate that and it helps me enjoy the song 10x more. I can see why people hate it though so I'm glad to see it go.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

tegan: i like that sign. i like that every once in a while it's like, it's not too far, like we haven't gone too far that the whole audience brings signs. there's like one or two a night, i like it. it feels good. 'cause see the first concert that i ever saw was new kids on the block. but we were like weird poor kids and so my dad had us like-

sara: not that there's anything weird with being poor.

tegan: no, there's nothing weird, no no no sorry. two separate things, they had nothing to do with each other. we were just weird and we also happened to be poor. and my dad, the company worked for, they had a box seat at the arena so when new kids on the block released their tickets my dad, he went down early to try and get tickets and he didn't end up getting any, they sold out before he got to the window. and he knew how devastated we would be and so god knows what he did to get these box seats. like literally, who knows what he did, i mean it's probably some sort of sick shit but um, but he got sara and I and our weird like second cousin twice removed tammy into this box. and um-

sara: also she was not weird.

tegan: i didn't say she was weird.

sara: oh ok

tegan: i said she was like our second cousin twice removed.

sara: okay, cause it sounded you like said our weird second cousin..

tegan: i have no idea?

sara: again. she was just our second cousin.

tegan: i have no idea, i don't even know what relation she even had to us. we were like that weird kinda poor people, you know everybody's your cousin in the neighbourhood so.

*sara shakes head*

tegan: anyways, so oh my god we loved the concert. i- we were eight years old. i was devastated when they came out- i couldn't believe they were real! sara and i, we clutched each other and cried, i mean. and the women who took us was my dad's boss' wife and she was very wealthy and she had a gigantic, i mean i'll never forget, it was the first real fur coat i'd ever seen, a beautiful like floor to ceiling fur coat, you know? and i kept brushing up against it in the box cause i just thought i'll probably never see a fur coat ever again and uh, between that and new kids on the block i couldn't stay asleep for a fucking week.

*tegan looks to sara. sara just stares*

tegan: why did i tell you that? oh yeah! signs. but i have this weird memory of seeing everybody's signs at the arena and feeling fucking devastated that i had not thought to bring a sign to the concert. like just, like i'd let new kids on the block down. they were backstage being like "why didn't more people bring signs?" it was a very strange eight year old thing so anyway. this is for the sign.

[​IMG]

#100. Clever Meals 6.00

HIGH:
    10.00 x 1 @Petty Mayonnaise
    LOW: 3.00 x 1 @Remorque
    My Score: 4.00

Album: Under Feet Like Ours
    Writer: Tegan

This is a very... young song. There's nothing wrong with that per se, but it can be hard to connect with when you're out of your teens. I feel like I know the answers to all the questions Tegan asks and it's no. Especially: so if I speak more clearly, if I make more sense, will you just shut your mouth? you won't come across so dense. But then again I'm a cynical misanthrope so what do I know? On a different note completely, I'm curious to know how Tegan was planning all these meals while crying from the corner of her dark, depressing, blacklit childhood room.

Maybe our poor beleaguered noted culinary genius @Petty Mayonnaise (10) can help me out: "I’m not crying. You’re crying." .... never mind, I'll let you have a moment. What about @Sprockrooster (7)?: "closing my eyes here. And dream away." Sleep cooking seems more dangerous than my cooking, so maybe not. Guess we'll never know the joy of cleverly planned meals.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.