Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 24 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

I high key wish I rated the non-compulsory albums. I feel so excluded from this narrative.

2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

The next one is coming from a compulsory album, but will we see an end to the kill Sara's self-esteem narrative going on here?

Slice of Life likes this.
  3. Slice of Life

KWEEN OF INCLUDING ME IN THE NARRATIVE.

Sara is bae.

send photo and ohnostalgia like this.
  4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

sara: so i was talking to my mom last night about being in a band and she was telling me that, you know, no matter what um, whatever me and tegan ended up being when we grew up um, that she would be proud of us. and so this morning she sent me an email and she told me what at twenty-two years old what she thought, like what she thought was going to happen when we grew up. and it mostly just consisted of um hanging out with her and- it wasn't like "when you were a kid i thought you were going to be a doctor" or "when you were a kid i thought maybe you would get pregnant and have eighteen kids."

tegan: you get up the duff.

sara: yeah, get up the duff or whatever it's called. *audience cheers* apparently this is popular with your parents over here. but thankfully my mom just seemed to want us to hang out with her and i think that it really freaks her out that we're never home or hanging out with her, so um i appreciate that there's like three trillion cameras always- well my mom was like following us on the internet sort of obsessively and i think for awhile she felt guilty and didn't tell us how much she was watching us on youtube and stuff but-

tegan: bullshit! she gets home from work and she gets home- i live in the same city as her- she gets home at 3:30 and at like 3:41 she calls me and she's all like "oh my god i saw on the internet that you got this" or "i was on the internet" like she's right on it. she's obsessed.

sara: you're right, you're right, you're right, but with me- *audience screams* my mom's going to hear you screaming at me on the internet, she's going to be pissed off. she's going to be like "what a fucking twat, why are you screaming at my two little heavenly daughters like that? why? what the fuck is wrong with people in london?" you better calm down. so anyways, i'm only talking about my mom because the next song is about how i was a weird anxious kid and then did acid.

tegan: you what?

sara: and then did acid.

tegan: you're going to scream it out here, i can't hear you.

sara: okay. this song is about how i was a WEIRD ANXIOUS KID AND THEN I DID ACID.

*audience screams*

sara: so basically everyone gets pregnant and does acid in london?

[​IMG]

#93. We Didn't Do It 6.485

HIGH: 8.00 x 3 @constantino @digitalkaiser @Petty Mayonnaise
    LOW: 4.00 x 2 @eccentricsimply @Ferk
    MY SCORE: 6.50

ALBUM: So Jealous
    WRITER: Sara

And so our first non-bonus track falls from a mandatory album. I'm not surprised it's We Didn't Do It as this song honestly pushes the outer limits of my heavy music tolerance. I think what saves it a bit for me is the interesting synth work that runs underneath the thundering guitars. I also love the opening acoustic section and honestly would've preferred a version without electric guitar. I certainly don't hate this song by any means, I just need to be in a very specific mood to get everything I can from it. Apparently today is one of those days cause I feel a tad guilty about my 6.50 score. Whoops. Anyways, I managed to find a Tegan quote about this on the internet (take that Mama Quin!!!) but unfortunately she's just as baffled about the meaning of "it" as I am.

That’s a tough one. I’m not sure what the hell Sara was writing it about. I know that when I heard it I was very excited. But I think there’s some things we carried over from the last record. The line on “We Didn’t Do It,” “get in my car,” and I know in “Not Tonight” [from If It Was You] she says, “In the back of your car I feel like I have traveled nowhere,” like there’s themes she carried over from the last record which I think is really cool. We both repeated a few lines from the lyrics of the old record on this new one. I love the instrumentation, I love the arrangement, and the production of that song, it’s just kinda like a weird song. I appreciate its originality. Go Sara. Go team.

Let's start with @digitalkaiser (8)... praising a song??? What is this madness ??? I kid. "‘I don’t know WHY’ I love this song but it’s probably for that very part. In my opinion this is the most sonically interesting song on the album. Lots of cool production flourishes and the lyrics are super cool. It’s a bit of a slower song but the production is so cool and fleshed out that it feels a lot more boppy than it actually is, if that makes sense? I fucking love tambourine. It has those traditional tegan and sara vocalisms that are oh so wonderful." See, isn't it more fun when one of our favourite Minnesotans is praising them? Our other high scorer @constantino (8) sees connections to their future work: "Uber anthem! The arrangement is stunning and ICU with the subtle synth flourishes towards the end, girls, they knew." They've been working with synths since 2004 so I don't think any fan can complain about Heartthrob really! Please give a warm welcome to @Slice of Life (7.75) who puts himself back in the narrative: "The abstract lyricism is back. I don't quite get what they're singing about here but if I can enjoy the Simlish version of Stop Desire, I can (maybe) enjoy this as well." A nobody knows what it means but it's provocative tea.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    aux, Remorque, constantino and 7 others like this.
  5. Every time I get tagged in this rate.
    [​IMG]

6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Honestly I much prefer the live version that I just posted for We Didn't Do It. Replaces electric guitars with acoustic but keeps some synths. I know myself so well!

7. Slice of Life

Also I know this will open up to drags from @ohnostalgia but I just have to admit this: I really don't know how to differentiate Tegan and Sara. I struggled all my life distinguishing identical twins so please help me here, cystren! Hehe.

8. Simlish versions of song are never anything less than amazing, and Stop Desire is no exception.

9. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

How dare you!!!!!!!!

Well until about a few years ago Tegan was the one with the chin piercing. She also has a rounder face and Sara has a leaner heart shaped face. Tegan has more tattoos on her arms. If you watch live videos Tegan will always stand on the left side and Sara the right. Tegan is also slightly taller than Sara.

Tegan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SARA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quick- who's who?

aux, constantino, Ferk and 2 others like this.
  10. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

My eyes generally get drawn to Tegan first, but Sara's been pulling some lewks out this year. Apparently the mid 30s are when ladies are their hottest.

aux, Remorque, constantino and 3 others like this.
  11. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I just know that's Tegan snatching the mic away. Screaming.

13. Slice of Life

OH MY GOD MY ANXIETY IS FLARING UP. YOU'RE A MONSTER!!!

From left to right: Sara then Tegan???

(I cheated because the solo photo you used for Sara is the same photo I quoted. I judged by their outfits. Kii.)

14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

You pass! Honestly once you catch on it's really easy and you start thinking they don't look that identical. Or maybe that's just me n n n.

15. Slice of Life

#StopTeganBullyingSara2k16
    #ImWithHer

16. Oh. I actually like Underwater/We Didn't Do It/And Darling a lot from their parent albums. Bye I guess.

17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

This is why I needed you.

18. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Did you watch the video I posted with Sara taking back her moment?

19. I can barely get my own rate sorted, let alone get scores in.
    except the Drag Race Songs rate sorry

LE0Night, Posh Spears and ohnostalgia like this.
  20. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

This is also really cute.

LE0Night and Slice of Life like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.