Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 25 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Me studying Tegan and Sara's facial features:
    [​IMG]

2. We always have room for another member!

send photo likes this.
  3. nn i had just about literally the same post written up in my drafts for this exact situation but you beat me to it
    Sara is the more petite one of the two, Tegan’s outer brows are slightly higher than hers and Sara’s chin is very V-shaped, Tegan’s is a bit more square. Tegan could usually also be more easily identified by a tiny piercing below her lip (not sure if she still wears it sometimes) while Sara has a tiny little spot in the same place. They’ve both looked so distractingly snatched lately I can barely tell them apart at times though OK, I lie, Sara's jawline is unmistakable, it's pretty much sharp enough to cut diamonds on

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Also I think they generally pose in the same order as their band name whenever they do photoshoots, red carpets etc, i.e. Tegan to our left, Sara to the right.)

[​IMG]

Also unless it's really obvious, Sara's the one with the thinner, raspier voice of the two (think "like steeeeel in my palm" if that goes out before the top fifty i'm jumping out a window) while Tegan is much shoutier ("I'm capsized, staring on the edge of safe!")

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    Slice of Life and ohnostalgia like this.
  4. Awwww We Didn't Do It didn't deserve to leave so early.

At the hight of my standom I could easily separate their voices, telling them apart by looks has always been easy for me.

digitalkaiser and ohnostalgia like this.
  5. @send photo in the Larry King interview both T&S talk about how they think they exude some qualities seen as "traditionally masculine." Funny how they twigged our bicurious sides from different angles!

Voices is super easy to me. Sara has the more shall we say... challenging voice.

Petty Mayonnaise and Jwentz like this.
  6. I've never looked at a person's chin this much tbh. Kii.

Sara's chin is bae. Yath, cut me into a million pieces with your flawless jaw, Kween.

send photo and ohnostalgia like this.
  7. Okay now I'm just super thirsty for them again.

send photo likes this.
  8. I don't recall which one it was, but there was a picture of Tegan somewhere in this thread that had my loins a-tingling.

9. I am devastated to see Not With You leavve. But all in fairness if I wouldnot have known about the live version I would have cared less.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  10. I've had a weird crush on Tegan for years. There's just something about her. Like if I ever see them live I'll probably be throwing my panties at her like they used to do back in the day.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  11. What is going on in this thread?

They are both pretty!!!!1!11 teehee, I'm sure they would tingle my loins if my loins went for that sort of thing, kii. No devastating eliminations yet.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  12. THIRST.

And good music conversations.

But mostly thirst. And mostly from our lovely host @ohnostalgia. Kii. xx

ohnostalgia and First2Run like this.

13. I still stand by this song. Queens. Kind of devastated its gone so soon but I guess that's payback for my other scores.
    [​IMG]

Jwentz and ohnostalgia like this.
  14. sara: so uh when we were writing this last record.. *looks at tegan* what? *laughs* that was really nice, thank you tegan. tegan's like mmmhmmm *nods head*. i hadn't even done anything yet. okay so i'm not funny tonight, i know but-

tegan: that's okay.

sara: you know i had that whole week off last week and it really-

tegan: i know, ever since my solo career sara's really been lagging behind.

sara: i was really threatened.

tegan: yeah.

sara: um. so when we were writing this record last time, i mean the last record when we were writing it um, i wrote this song, i wrote two songs um, about- i was reading this book called the hotel new hampshire by john irving and then i finished reading it and i rented the movie. do you ever do that when you finish a book and then you go to the movie store and then you find the movie and it's just not.. it's kinda sick, like it almost seems like it's a tv movie version and the world seems wrong and you feel really upset because at least when you read like a really great book and there's no movie attached to it there's like the prospect of like a really, like all your favourite stars being cast in like a really great version of it. and then when you read a really great book and a bad movie's been made you wonder if the book is as good as you thought it was or-

tegan: you can watch sara, she's on much music now, she uh does like a movie and book critic stuff- *starts strumming guitar*

sara: no, i just, listen-

tegan: there's pictures though, it makes it a lot easier to understand. she has props-

sara: anyway, i just, i find that it's, i just find that um.. *to tegan* can you stop that [strumming] just for a second? i feel a little-

tegan: she's discombobulated, sorry.

sara: i'm a little- i want us to be, i want us to understand where i'm coming from, so i just..

*tegan goes to sit on stool next to sara and stares directly into her face, listening. sara turns towards her*

sara: and so what i was really upset about was that, like, do you know um jodi foster was in the movie? have you read the hotel new hampshire? *tegan nods* you did read it, yeah? so anyways i just really felt like the movie was like a little bit b movie for me, like you know? anyhow... the world according to garp? yeah. they also- did you know that john irving also, the prayer for owen meany, they did a movie about it but it was like a children's movie sort of and they kinda like.. that was disappointing as well. i wonder what john's doing, why he keeps doing these disappointing movie adaptations of his books... anyways i'm gonna do a song that i uh- yeah so anyways i wrote a couple of songs on this record kinda that were like influenced by that book, um, and then the disappointment of the movie. here they are.

[​IMG]

#92. Terrible Storm 6.489

HIGH:
    8.00 x 3 @First2Run @send photo @Sprockrooster
    LOW: 4.00 x 1 @Petty Mayonnaise
    MY SCORE: 5.00

ALBUM: If It Was You
    WRITER: Sara

“The first of my father’s illusions was that bears could survive the life lived by human beings, and the second was that human beings could survive a life led in hotels.” - John Irving.

Okay I'm screaming inside that Sara wrote a song because she was pissed about the movie adaptation of The Hotel New Hampshire. She would. I'm guessing that Not Tonight was the other song inspired by these feelings since both songs share the line "in the back of this car i feel like i have travelled nowhere." This song is the opposite of Not With You for me- I like the verses but not so much the chorus and find the transition a bit jarring. This is my second least favourite song on If It Was You after Come on Kids so I'm a bit pressed that you all tossed basically 2/3 of the album before this one. Choices. But at least @send photo finally gave a high score to his supposed favourite.

@Sprockrooster (8) echos me and this is all very disturbing: "Absolutely brilliant verses, but that chorus is a bit too much." Meanwhile @First2Run (8) references another Canadian Queen: "The Alanis style of this song is really nice." You just know they're Alanis fans.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  15. I triple checked because I couldn't believe it.

send photo likes this.
  16. SARA CONTINUES TO BE MY DOPPELGANGER AND I'M SO HERE FOR IT.

For me, it was the film adaptation of Alex Garland's The Beach (starring Leonardo di Caprio no less) that bummed the hell out of me. Seeing your favorite book get butchered like that is... traumatic, to say the least so I totally get where Kween Sara is coming from.

send photo and ohnostalgia like this.
  17. Still no losses.

18. [​IMG]

19. sara: i really respect you two for like just not even laughing, like you guys are just like nope, don't care.

tegan: oh no they can laugh, they're fine, they're capable, yeah.

sara: but you know what? respect.

tegan: is this super intense sitting in the front row? like you are just so fucking right up in it.

sara: so uncomfortable. you don't have to stand up- i would never ever in a million years want to be where you are right now. never. i hate it, i hate sitting exactly where you're sitting so you know what? don't laugh. i don't care.

tegan: i don't think- here's the thing, is that where you're sitting it's kinda great for so many reasons but in between songs if i was sitting where you were sitting i would feel stressed that we would do this. that all of a sudden the indie rock pop folk lesbian canadian duo would all of a sudden think that they were like amy schumer, you know what i mean? they're like "bring the lights up! time for comedy! let's start with the front row. how's everyone doing?"

[​IMG]

#91. Make Things Right 6.51

HIGH:
    10.00 x 1 @Sprockrooster
    LOW: 0.00 x 1 @send photo
    MY SCORE: 2.00

ALBUM: Extras
    WRITER: NA

I SWEAR ON THE FUCKING TEGAN & SARA SOCKS NONE OF YOU DESERVE.
    Do you know how terrible it is to see trash like this overtake your favourite folk pop songs from If It Was You? This is my lowest score in the entire rate and you damn well bet I'm dancing on its grave. Clearly the writing sessions with Sultan & Shepard which produced Drove Me Wild were a one time fluke because this is t r a s h. It takes a lot for me to struggle to find something redeeming in a T&S song, but here we are. In any other rate I probably would've given this a zero but I just couldn't do that to my beloved ladies. Mostly because I really like listening to them sing. Thankfully @send photo didn't share my qualms. I would say he redeemed himself, but I'm sure he's going to piss me off again soon. So let me not.

I feel very betrayed by @Petty Mayonnaise (8.5): "Yath give me that cheesy empowerment anthem that I (usually don’t but oddly this time I do) love." WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU??? Before I strongly encouraged him to reconsider his scores I think @digitalkaiser (7) rated this extra higher than like 1/3rd of The Con. And what did he have to say for himself?: "Not much to say here, It’s a decent collab. Catchy and on trend!" I am .... unimpressed. Well surely I can count on @constantino right? WRONG. That treacherous heifer gave it a 9!!! A NINE!!! "The ambivalent, detached vocals are EVERYTHING. Maybe it’s because it’s 2AM but this is TAKING ME THERE." Go to fucking sleep. Sleep deprivation is no joke. Another one who needs to schedule a sleep study is @Slice of Life (8) who manages to offend me on multiple levels: "Come on, Katy Perry-esque inspirational bop! Again, I have a problem with the way the vocals are recorded or mixed or whatever. Fix it @God." Apparently @God does make mistakes. Oh wait.. that's the other one. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at this score considering @First2Run (7) is currently in the middle of running basic boppery, the rate: "Quite basic sounding but not offensive at all. They are not in their normal environment with big electronic songs but they do actually sound very good on them." Hey another song those tasteless voters would rate above pop rock bops from Katy Perry!!! Speaking of, here's @Sprockrooster (10) and I back on familiar territory: "This song got me really interested in Sultan + Shepard. Two duo's having fantastic chemistry." What have I done????

Finally a voice of reason! @Posh Spears (4): "This was released in 2015? Oh noooo. " Yeah.... sums it about up. The enemy of my enemy is my friend @send photo (0) simply sends: "Oh dear." THAT'S IT? How... disappointing.

Remorque, Ferk, constantino and 9 others like this.
  20. Drag me, queen!!!

for your sake I'm glad its out relatively early?

ohnostalgia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.