Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 26 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Honestly the music is so horribly distracting that I can't focus much on the lyrics. Which really is the opposite of how an inspirational song should work, so they deserve the dragging.

send photo likes this.
  2. Woohoo I won the elimination by being the only one not dragged!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  3. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.

Me right now after that drag:
    [​IMG]

4. Sis, you should know that I'm a chronic over-scorer...I am NOT the one to rely on to torpedo a song...

ohnostalgia likes this.
  5. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

Ddddd I actually gave this a somewhat high score.

6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

@eccentricsimply I felt obligated to show you this video where Tegan and Sara mention Brasil's national drink (which my keyboard tried to autocorrect to "drunk lesbian").

7. [​IMG]

(I kid I kid let me not become ohnostalgia's co-dragger)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  8. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

I don't know WHAT caipirinha these women are drinking but lime and sugar are far from being basic requirements for a good caipirinha.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  9. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

n n n well I hope they drink an authentic one when they visit Brasil next year.

Also @Slice of Life, what's good?

Sorry I'm home sick for the third day in a row and apparently today I'm just watching Tegan and Sara YouTube videos.

LE0Night and Slice of Life like this.
  10. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

tegan: i wrote this song soon after i moved to vancouver. *sara is playing guitar over her* ... what? you can't remember how to play it? do you want me to jam it? you wanna jam? you got it?

*sara nods*

tegan: chris, turn sara down for this one. um i wrote this song in a series of songs, i wrote this one and then i wrote i know i know i know and i wrote i won't be left- *audience cheers* oh thanks! they're no walking with a ghost, but uh... sara's too obscure, you know? she doesn't have structure in her songs and that's okay, you know, sara's her own little person.

sara: actually i'm average. i'm five foot three!

tegan: kay. stand back to back with me and admit who's- say if one of us is taller than the other.

*they stand back to back. someone in the audience yells: "sara's taller!"

sara: you're my people!

tegan: that's all you can say, huh?

*audience member yells: "sara's hotter!"

tegan: sara is hotter, i agree.

sara: don't be a bitch.

tegan: okay hey hey hey whoa! no that's fine. you know what? it would really be bad for me if everyone that liked me liked sara too so um... you know my mom, she you know obviously likes me better because we live in the same city, so you know we get more time together to shop. nick, one of our managers, likes me a lot better as well- he told me. people in our world declare- they just tell us who they like better, it works that way. i'm going to dedicate this one to sara... cause things are going so bad for you.

[​IMG]

#90. Come On 6.56

HIGH:
    9.00 x 2 @2014 @Petty Mayonnaise
    LOW: 5.00 x 3 @ohnostalgia @Remorque @send photo

ALBUM:
    Under Feet Like Ours/This Business of Art
    WRITER: Sara

After a brief respite to kick out a shitty dance track, I see we've gone back to bullying Sara. I mean... I'm not going to defend this song in particular but there's a few Tegan tracks we could maybe start cutting in between the Sara massacres. Just a thought. Come On is one of the tracks that appears on both Under Feet Like Ours and This Business of Art. I personally am a fan of the stripped back version over the beefed up version, mostly because there's a cute singer-songwriter debut vibe going on that gets slightly lost in the rerecord. I also am not opposed to the growling.... but let me just leave it at that before I trigger another thirst fest.

What about the fine bullies of this here Tegan Discography rate? @Petty Mayonnaise (9.00) #blessed me with commentary for both versions. On the original: "Some of the melodies and vocal stylings here remind me of early Jewel. (Is this the part where you drag me for having too many 90s references to compare the early albums too?) It feels a bit too long and kind of fizzles out before it’s done, but when it’s good, it’s great." Is this the part where you drag me for having too little 90s references? And on the rerecord: " Well, the one complaint I had with the original version of this song was that it was too long. Well done on taking my retroactive notes, queens." You're the one who yelled out "Sara's taller!" weren't you? @Sprockrooster (7) has a theory: "Love the transition and continuous change in pace. I have never seen them live, but this feels like a 'live favourite'." Sadly almost all early T&S concerts were lost to the wind of fans who didn't care enough to record them. Although given how they like to loudly proclaim their early flopdom maybe that's for the best. Let's close with @send photo (5) who is either talking about me or Sara, I'm not 100% sure: "this is fairly aggressive, eh?… aggressive queen i’msorryiloveyou." Damn straight either way.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  11. I LOVE THIS PART. Absolutely amazing.

A bit sad 'come on' is going, but mostly because it is another Sara song. Werenot the most ones Tegan songs? I didnot pay much attention who I would think was the better writer and I do feel like Sara had to grow in a bit, but this feels completely unbalanced. It is time for a 'Tegan cull'. But not my faves. XX

ohnostalgia likes this.
  12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Tegan wrote more poppy hooky songs from the beginning (there's actually a bit in the So Jealous behind the scenes documentary where she worries that she writes too straightforward and Sara is more creative because of her out there approach) so I expected Tegan's early work to do better. But I certainly didn't predict this long Sara elimination streak!

13. For some reason I feel like in time Sara's writing skills grew and Tegan's started to decline a bit. I can see Tegan is more accessible, but to me it isnot that big of a difference in sound.

14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Oh I forgot to mention that whenever they have negative audience interactions Tegan is always the one to try and play the peacekeeper while Sara just goes for it and confronts them.

send photo and Sprockrooster like this.
  15. They seem to have my type of humour. At least that is the vibe I am getting from those extracts.

send photo and ohnostalgia like this.
  16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

n n n I found a pic of young dad Quin (it's not creepy they posted an interview about their dad!) and that is one attractive family.
    [​IMG]

Remorque, send photo and LE0Night like this.
  17. [​IMG]

perhaps not the most fortunate choice of words you've ever made

Remorque, send photo and ohnostalgia like this.
  18. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

sara: there's basically three or four songs that i've written that babies really like.

tegan: walking with a ghost.

sara: yeah. walking with a ghost.

tegan: alligator.

sara: alligator. and then this one back in your head. for some reason babies just love these songs.

tegan: it's true. whenever we see babies on the street they go crazy for sara.

sara: no, no, no. because now you just made it seem silly. but the truth is that obviously we're at an age- well tegan is, i'm still 19- tegan knows a lot of people who have babies cause her friends are so old. anyways for whatever reason just kids can't get enough of these funny songs and it's somehow like the biggest compliment. babies are the most distracted and in need of attention at all times so i take it almost as like the greatest form of acknowledgement in a strange way when a baby will pay attention to something i've done. i know that sounds ridiculous, but it's also made me feel sort of irrational about making babies like me so what i'll do is if i'm going over to a friends-

tegan: sara brings the ghettoblaster along-

sara: no, no, no. i'm not that desperate. but i do sort of take advantage of... i think a lot of kids get confused sometimes... it's less so with tegan right now 'cause she's looking more adult, but i feel like my haircut and sometimes the way i dress makes kids confused about what age i am. like they know i'm not their parents and i'm not a baby, but i'm definitely something different or in between and.. so what i'll do is i'll take advantage of children. it's like i almost became addicted to having babies like me. *audience laughs nervously*.... that sounded weird. that sounded really weird. i'm glad your laughter was here to show me that i'd taken a wrong turn in terms of my vocabulary. hear me out. what happens is that i became so obsessed with the acknowledgement-

tegan: still weird.

sara: and positive reinforcement of babies that i started to also change the way i would dress. when i knew i was going to be around the kid i would do really obvious things like wear a flashy sweater or something that was dangly so that they.... *nervous laughter* this sounds weird; you all just burst out laughing instantly. that makes sense but ... anyways it's like i feel- it's like i'm rafe. i'm not sure if you had sharon, louis and bram or rafe when you were kids, but i'm basically like a children's performer and i'll sometimes go over to like my friends' houses when i know that their nieces or nephews or children are going to be there and i'll just come in and i'll be dressed like almost like a clown and i'll just hum my own songs just so the baby will be like .. "huh. she's here." that's a sort of true story. that's like 10% true. but um ... anyways here's this one!

[​IMG]

#89. Hype 6.68

HIGH: 8.00 x 2 @2014 @Petty Mayonnaise
    LOW: 4.00 x 1 @Ferk
    MY SCORE: 7.00

ALBUM: Under Feet Like Ours/This Business of Art
    WRITER: Sara

C'mon cover art joke only Canadians will understand!!! C'mon Sara seeking validation from children because we won't give it to her!!! C'mon kicking out one of the stronger tracks from the early albums!!! C'mon intro from original version that tricks me into thinking it's a Kali Uchis track!!! C'mon influencing Colombian artists fifteen years later!!! C'mon writing a track prophesying the era of floppy underground pop girls!!! C'mon wait for tomorrow being the 1990s version of #soon!!!

@Petty Mayonnaise (8): "Something something Liz Phair teas something. Not gonna lie, I much prefer the more stripped down version of this song on the debut album. That said, I liked it the first time, and I still like it this time. (It’s still very Liz Phair, though)." C'mon predicting Liz Phair's sell out era!!! @send photo (7) "There’s a bit of the song towards the end where I think I hear the “mike will made it” tag. I prefer the original in all honesty." C'mon scooping up a child prodigy producer before he made it big!!!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    aux, constantino, LE0Night and 6 others like this.
  19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Hmmmmm. I'm glad I could help facilitate this.

send photo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.