Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 29 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I think @send photo gave more continuously low scores so I focused on him, but @Ferk is really trying it these days.

So far my four day headache seems to have mostly subsided, but things usually worsen near the end of the day cause I have a desk job. But if I'm feeling well I will try to get back to the two a day elimination schedule I had going on!

2. I'm still surprised I've become the resident villain (for now) since I was honestly expecting a lot of low scores for their early material but whatever...I gladly accept my position.

LE0Night and send photo like this.
  3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

In the interest of transparency you should go back and read @Remorque's commentary for the last two songs which I just edited in. I don't think he's caught up yet so I could've got away with it but nah.

LE0Night and Sprockrooster like this.
  4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I really don't want to kick out the next song.

Jwentz and LE0Night like this.
  5. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

I'm a little disappointed in y'all. So Jealous has become my third most favorite T&S album and every elimination from it hurts me. Make it stop!

send photo and ohnostalgia like this.
  6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I gave one of the higher So Jealous averages and it's like my fifth favourite album of theirs. Some people are tough crowds I guess.

send photo and Slice of Life like this.
  7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

tegan: when sara and i were fifteen there was a great radio station in the city and they gave away tickets to this arena concert once and it was like this three month thing where you had to listen on the radio and then they would announce where they were going to give the tickets away and you had to go there and then they would give two tickets to each person. and so even though it was like 12,000 ticket we were hysterical because we were like we'll not get tickets and my parents were, they would like hear and then we would go and try to make it to a location to get tickets and it would be during school hours and so finally it was on a time when we were able to go and get tickets and we, my mom took like us and 85 of our friends to fall into the '86 aerostar van and drove us down to the location where-

sara: it was a popular vehicle apparently.

tegan: yeah, it was a good one. anyways so we all got tickets and we were so excited and then a couple weeks later we went to the show and it was a bunch of canadian bands, most of which are not playing any longer, and we were joking about it the other night that like all of them had one song that we knew but it did not matter because the amount of energy and work that went into getting the tickets meant that we were absolutely hysterical once we got there. and we didn't even have tickets in the bowl, we were like in the bleachers around the bowl, and when the first band came on it was like immediate, we were just at that age where as soon as music started you started to mosh you know? and we were like in bleachers, we were in the seats so you can imagine the injuries that we got from this, you know. i can't even tell you, i lost count, i fell so many times. like i didn't just fall, like i would fall and then people would jump all over me or i would like trip and fall down the stairs. at one point there was like a full on crowdsurfing thing downstairs

and i remember getting into the aerostar van at the end of the night and my mom just like taking one look at us and being like what the fuck? and i used to wear like, i would buy a pair of vintage cords for like three bucks at value village and rip the entire seam all the way up the crotch and then i would put safety pins. so i go up the aerostar van and my hair, which was like super long, was like all tangled and like my pants were completely ripped in half you know. yeah. *crowd cheers* thank you ladies, thank you. and my mom like she was such a trooper, she would just like totally appreciate the enthusiasm we had and she would pick us up and we'd maybe all have been doing a little bit of a *alcohol gesture* and a bit of *weed gesture* and she would put like sinead o'connor on so loud and it'd be like "there is no other troy for you to burn out" and we'd be like woooo!!! just totally fucking baked and we're drunk.

anyway, yesterday we went out to the side of the venue, some of you were there, we said hi. and i was thinking afterwards about that, like some of you had been sleeping out there - mental, but it's cute- and i was thinking like fuck, we were just like that. i mean my parents let us sleep in a parking lot once for tickets and then-

sara: okay but just when my mom let us sleep in a parking lot-

tegan: oh she slept in in too-

sara: she slept in the van in the parking lot-

tegan: in the '86 aerostar van-

sara: and when people found out like at first we were really embarrassed and we didn't want anyone to know that our mom was in the van. it was a cool van, like it wasn't like a tinted window like kidnap van, right. anyways my mom, once everyone found out that my mom was in the van- 'cause we made friends with all the kids in the line up and also we were across the street from kinda a project and then all the kids from the projects came over and then they wanted to-

tegan: it really wasn't like what you're thinking, it was basically just a lot of 18 and 19 year olds that were like cracked out-

sara: sleeping on, they were like, it was kinda like a flop house. and so they all found out that our mom was there and they all went to the van and so my mom was surrounded by like kids who lived in a flop house and kids who wanted smashing pumpkins tickets and she was a therapist. my mom is a social worker slash therapist and so she started giving counselling and all i remember was that kids were like admitting that they'd just had an abortion and kids were like "i''m on pcp" and my mom was like handing out numbers for crisis lines and stuff and we were like mooooooooooooooooom!!!

[​IMG]

#82. City Girl 6.844

HIGH:
    9.50 x 1 @ohnostalgia
    LOW: 4.60 x 1 @Ferk

ALBUM: If It Was You
    WRITER: Tegan

Did I pick the longest story ever to procrastinate making this tragic cut reality? Yes, yes I did. God this is just so lovely I cannot deal with it. That chorus is heavenly and that moment at 2:36 when Tegan goes for the high note and her voice kinda breaks is so goddamn charming I need help. The good taste assassins couldn't even be bothered to make the effort to trash the song so I could drag them. I'm a bit ashamed at them being so useless. So who did dare to speak after I praised this so highly in the If It Was You write up? @send photo (6.5): "Did they just read me? I need to move back to the country." Well the city Tegan wrote about is Vancouver sooooooo. The only other person who truly understood the beauty of this sixties country pop gem (I won't say folk cause we know how that traumatizes Sara) is the best person on this forum and the better half of pettystalgia, @Petty Mayonnaise (9). I'm going to ignore his If It Was You shade because I've had enough sadness for this day"The first properly massive chorus on this largely meh album. Bless."

I hope one day some of you are sad in a parking lot and their mom doesn't talk to you.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  8. NO THIS MUST BE REVENGE

ohnostalgia likes this.
  9. [Britney]Oops![/Britney]

10. Slice of Life

I JUST HAD AN IDEA!!!

@TeganandSara, please release an autobiography. Or anything really. I *need* to read something that they wrote. I bet it would be amazing.

11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

They did this so I wouldn't be surprised if one day!
    [​IMG]

12. Slice of Life

OH MY GOD I'M WET. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT. THIS IS BEYOND PRETTY.

[​IMG]

13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

What if I buy it.

Slice of Life likes this.
  14. Slice of Life

GO GO GO FOR IT. AND SHARE IT WITH US.

I'm really poor these days so I'm not able to afford this sadly.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

tegan: i had this amazing thought and be honest with me, okay wait, be honest with me- what?

sara: *laughs* like the biggest bra just got thrown at you.

tegan: oh *laughs* sorry i wasn't even paying attention here.

sara: just give them a wave

tegan: *picks up bra* oh wow. bras are super expensive, who threw this? who's is this? over there, you guys did? i mean this is actually one of your bras, do you want this returned? i mean that's expensive, did you take it off? are you wearing one right now? you're wearing one, you just brought an extra one. *starts swinging bra* i love the line of thinking, like "i'm going to go to the tegan & sara show and i think i'm gonna bring one of my old bras with me"... if you want this back at the end of the night just come up to the side of the stage.

sara: tegan. you know that there's a recession right? like it could last awhile, you may not want to buy a bra in a couple months. you may not have the money to buy a bra. you might want to turn that bra into a bed soon, you might be like that's the only house you'll have is a bra. you'll have like two fucking, you'll have a couple of sticks and some jeans and a bra and you're just going to be fastening that shit together to make a house.

tegan: okay.

sara: be careful.

tegan: excellent point, excellent point. so you can collect your bra at the end of the night around over here. i'll make sure you get it.

sara: tegan will rub her face in it.

tegan: i... i'm not going to rub my face in it.

[​IMG]

#81. I Hear Noises 6.89

HIGH:
    10.00 x 1 @2014
    LOW: 3.00 x 1 @send photo
    MY SCORE: 9.50

ALBUM: If It Was You
    WRITER: Tegan

I SWEAR TO FUCKING GOD @send photo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you wanna know why Tegan wrote the lyric "I am disappointed every morning that I wake up?" Pretty sure she anticipated that I would one day be inspired to run a rate where a pop forum ranked all the Tegan & Sara songs. And she just knew that some Vancouver hussy would tank my favourite songs. This not even cracking the Top 80 is frankly A Bit Ridiculous.... you really all love obscure tracks from the first two albums and strange features more than this wonderfully jangly pop rock tune stolen directly from the radio of like 1965? Did you even watch the music video? Did Tegan not deserve a few extra points for the look she served, which is quite frankly in my Top 10 Tegan Lewks? Do you not hear the sadness inside you for denying this? I think I do.

I appreciate that @Remorque (7) really tried, unlike some of you lot: "At first I thought this was really generic sounding, but as I was relistening to it a couple of more times it really opened itself up to me, lyrically and production-wise." I'm so glad @Petty Mayonnaise (8.5) always has my back: "Bit of a bop, innit?" FRANKLY YES. @digitalkaiser (6) brings up some other group I guess: "The guitar playing in this reminds me of another girl band, Veruca salt. I think my age is showing here, eek. I always found early Tegan and Sara to be pretty similar to their album ‘Eight arms to hold you’, in particular the lyric “I hear, sadness inside YOU” with that cutting growly vocal on the end reminds me heavily of that album. If you like this song, you should check out that album." I'll think about it, but I doubt they hold candle to one Tegan Quin. @constantino (7) appreciates the lyrics AS ONE SHOULD: " I like the lyrics more than the melody here; it’s sweet and pleasant but that’s it really." @Jwentz (4) can just go away: "I thought of it as filler years ago and this rate hasn’t changed my mind." Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

@Slice of Life (7.5) quotes one of the lyric that probably relates to what he apparently doesn't get. That's awkward: ""And watch sad movies and look for sad sick people like me." Come on, another relatable hymn! The good sis Genius told me this was about internalized homophobia and I wasn't sure I get it. But the song's fine so." Internalized homophobia isn't the first thought that came to my mind when listening (mine is mental illness), but I can easily see how it could be read that way. I'm not sure if @eccentricsimply (7.5) picked up on internalized homophobia or mental illness or something completely different, but either way she's impressed: "This song sounds like the early 2000s felt - this was my immediate first thought upon listening to it. It has that like light vibe to the melody and stuff that I associate to.... well as soon as I was old enough to be aware of anything which was probably around when I was 9 and filling my mp3 with songs that sounded like this one. And THEN we get into the message of the song and how it hits close to home in a ridiculously upsetting way. It is however amazing that in 2002 they were already touching on this stuff."

Have we begun a Tegan cull or is this a natural reaction to the earlier Sara cull?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    aux, Sprockrooster, First2Run and 7 others like this.
  16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

TOP 80.

[​IMG]

Divided
    Our Trees
    Freedom*
    More For Me*
    Superstar*

[​IMG]

The First
    Frozen
    My Number
    Freedom*
    More For Me*
    Superstar*

[​IMG]

You Went Away
    Monday, Monday, Monday
    Living Room
    Don't Confess

[​IMG]

You Wouldn't Like Me
    I Bet It Stung
    I Know I Know I Know
    Where Does The Good Go
    Downtown
    Walking With A Ghost
    So Jealous
    Speak Slow
    Wake Up Exhausted
    Fix You Up
    I Can't Take It

[​IMG]

I Was Married
    Relief Next To Me
    The Con
    Knife Going In
    Are You Ten Years Ago
    Back In Your Head
    Hop A Plane
    Soil, Soil
    Burn Your Life Down
    Nineteen
    Floorplan
    Like O, Like H
    Dark Come Soon
    Call It Off

[​IMG]

Arrow
    Don't Rush
    Hell
    On Directing
    Red Belt
    The Cure
    Northshore
    Night Watch
    Alligator
    The Ocean
    Sentimental Tune
    Someday
    Light Up
    It Was Midnight

[​IMG]

Closer
    Goodbye, Goodbye
    I Was A Fool
    I'm Not Your Hero
    Drove Me Wild
    How Come You Don't Want Me
    I Couldn't Be Your Friend
    Love They Say
    Now I'm All Messed Up
    Shock To Your System
    Guilty As Charged
    I Run Empty

[​IMG]

That Girl
    Faint of Heart
    Boyfriend
    Dying To Know
    Stop Desire
    White Knuckles
    100x
    BWU
    U-turn
    Hang On To The Night

[​IMG]

Feel It In My Bones (feat. Tiesto)
    Body Work (feat. Morgan Page)
    Don't Find Another Love
    Hard To Hold (feat. RAC)
    When You Were Mine (feat. Night Terrors of 1927)
    Fade Out
    Shudder To Think​

aux, LE0Night, constantino and 6 others like this.
  17. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

Awe, this latest cut is a bit upsetting.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  18. Slice of Life

Those album cover arts are so gorgeous, @ohnostalgia! The Love You To Death one is especially marvelous. Maybe I'd let you design my debut album cover art once it gets released. Hehe.

19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I love the Posterize effect. No but thanks. I haven't really been doing anything fancy like I did with the Instagram album pics, but I try to make everything look presentable at least.

Good luck getting back in.

Slice of Life and send photo like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.