Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 32 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. (I just woke up)

constantino, Jwentz and ohnostalgia like this.
  2. OK I'm awake now seriously what the f-
    GEE I WONDER WHO THE OTHER TWO WERE

constantino, Jwentz and Sprockrooster like this.
  3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Actually in a shocking move the trio was joined by @digitalkaiser (4) and @First2Run (5).

LE0Night likes this.
  4. [​IMG]

(i mean, I'm not unreasonable and I'm mostly kidding, unless i'm forgetting something there really isn't anything particularly horrible left and something has to go first I suppose, but ugh)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    ohnostalgia likes this.
  5. I laughed at this loud. And I was at work. And it was a problem I laughed out loud.

Why? I am a teacher and the students were making a test.

ohnostalgia and LE0Night like this.
  6. [​IMG]

Yath at @ohnostalgia throwing them under the bus faster than you can finish listening to Soil Soil X

7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

NOOOOO.
    In my 1D rate I posted all the low scores even if you didn't give commentary. I'm trying to be more chill, but if an opportunity arises sure I'll do some bus throwing.

Sprockrooster and Jwentz like this.
  8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

sara: i'm nervous.

tegan: you're going to do good, you're going to be great. like mom said when she dropped me off at patroller camp: "you're funny and people will like you." wasn't true. maybe if she sent me in something other than red sweatpants and gumboots to the weird hooker camp that she-

sara: hooker camp?

tegan: seriously. i remember make up and bras and they had boyfriends and like i had like a weird boy mullet and like gumboots, red sweatpants.

audience member: it's better than electric avenue!

tegan: it was better than electric avenue, but i was very traumatized by that whole thing.

audience member: what are gumboots?

tegan: you know like rain boots. yeah, so my mom's like camping. it's camp! no... no it wasn't. it was like hooker camping. i was there two minutes and they were like "you look like a boy, you sneak into the boy's dorm and get phone numbers for us" and i was like *makes sad face.* people wonder why we're artists... tortured little kids. i called home so many times, i begged. there was no shame, i wasn't like negotiating. i was like "please i'll give you anything in the world to come get me." it was like a forty-five minute drive and my mom's like "no. you need to stick it out. i'll give you a present when you get back." it was a bag of chips and a pencil.

audience member: look where it got you!

tegan: yeah that's true. thank you sir. constant reminder.

[​IMG]

#75. Light Up 7.02

HIGH:
    10.00 x 1 @Ferk
    LOW: 5.00 x 1 @2014
    MY SCORE: 7.00

ALBUM: Sainthood
    WRITER: Sara

It's a bit fitting that this gets cut right after Soil, Soil, because in many ways I think they serve the same short interlude vibe where you can float away in a river of Tegan & Sara's emotions. I deducted points because I do think Light Up has the distinction of serving up some of Sara's more... challenging vocals. But I can also see how someone else would find that a plus for the song. I tried googling around a bit but couldn't confirm that this song is about their parents. If you've been paying attention to the stories I post each elimination, you will know that T&S' parents had T&S in their very early twenties and that their family wasn't always in a good financial situation. So lines like: What would I do differently with two kids on my hip? and I'm the age you were then, what goes through your mind? and Find some success and reduce the worry on your babies' minds remind me of their family. Maybe I'm way off base, who knows.

I continue to find supposed Sainthood stan @digitalkaiser (5.5) throwing that album's songs under the bus: "The bonus tracks on this album point to a very different sort of album, in a more acoustic light and airy way. I find this song very pretty, but it features the same problems of Wrists in that it feels like there could be just a little more here. I think I’m also biased, I’ve never really gone for a purely acoustic/vocal song from any artist, and if I do there is usually one huge draw to it that make me come back time after time. There’s a tiny bit of electronic work near the end but it feels inconsequential." Give in to the power of acoustic from time to time. You won't die. I promise. I think @constantino (7) shares some brainwaves with Tegan as she told the camp story before they played Light Up: "This one’s sweet…campfire worthy, even." @Slice of Life (7) advances one step further in their Sara stan journey: ""Let them say what they will 'cause they will anyhow." Powerful shit right here. I don't think it really suits the album's vibe but it's not bad." Meanwhile @send photo (6.5) is ready to let Sara boss him around: "Well… if you insist. Queens." Hmm.

Just when you were excited that early rate villain @Ferk (10) finally gets a taste of his medicine, he has to pull out emotional commentary to shame all of us: "My mom was 19 when she had me. She'd had my older brother just a year before. She didn't have anything, our father was a deadbeat and her family wasn't speaking to her. I've often wondered how scared she must have been, on those nights when my dad was out drinking and cheating on her and she was sitting at home with two babies...still a baby herself really. My mother is strong, she kept going and worked her ass off to ensure we never went without. At some points, right after my dad finally left, when it was just us and she was struggling to find her footing, she wouldn't eat for days at a time because my dad wasn't paying child support and she couldn't afford to feed us and herself at the same time. Eventually she got herself back on her feet and by the time I was in middle school those hard times were long behind us. But I've never forgotten them. So when I heard this, at 19 myself at the time, it devastated me. It still makes me cry sometimes if I let myself think about it too hard. A beautiful song."

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  9. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I also meant to post a link to the Soil, Soil video chapter yesterday (which I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet). But if you have Apple Music you should be able to see it in at least Canada and US. Not sure about other countries.

Posh Spears likes this.
  10. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

I'M NOT CRYING. YOU'RE CRYING.

This is beautiful, @Ferk.

Ferk and ohnostalgia like this.
  11. ohnostalgia and Ferk like this.
  12. Aw thanks y'all. <3 When I saw I had been tagged in three separate posts I was like 'What did I do now?!' so this was a nice surprise.

I figured this would get cut fairly early, sadly. I'm surprised (but definitely glad) it made it this far. Beautiful song.

13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

How you going to tell them apart now?

14. YAS at Dying to Know finally getting a video.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  15. Slice of Life

I HATE YOU.

*investigates which doll has a sharper chin*

ohnostalgia likes this.
  16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

tegan: my mom she works in the school system and so she had the summer off and we brought her over to australia. we told her that she could come for a free ride but in return she could sell some merch for us. and the second night and she was loading up the hockey bags full of merchandise she had this wrist guard on her arm because she'd hurt her arm and she had a sinus infection and she looked so pissed off. and um we got back to the hotel and i volunteered to share a room with her 'cause sara said absolutely not. and uh we got back to the room and we got into bed and my mom, i could just feel her staring at me in the dark. and i was like "everything okay mom?" and she was like "this is not a vacation. i need an assistant and i want a raise." and i was like "you can fly yourself home then." no, just kidding. i was like i'm so sorry that we brought you here and this has been a bit like madness because um i figured that we wouldn't sell any merch. i was very apologetic but my mom had a good time anyway after the antibiotics kicked in. um anyway i always tell this same story before i play this next song, it's actually, i had gotten this really bad bout of food poisoning, which is just the worst you know because you're puking and shitting all at the same time-

hey, new zealand friend. shhhhhh.

*crowd cheers*

tegan: no, no no, i'm with you. i'm totally with you. but you and i are going to talk telepathically from now on.i know, new zealanders are very nice, but- totally. i'm totally, i mean i want that stamp in my passport, i do. i feel you. no, i'm going to tell my story now, put your hand down. don't make me regret talking to you. i don't yet, but i might so i'm going to tell you this great story, it's a really funny one. do you have friends with you? you may not have friends with you after this so just... sometimes i've seen people turn, it's crazy. tegan and sara fans, they turn on each other. it's crazy.

anyway, i'm not going to tell you the full story but basically i got food poisoning and then my mom came and stayed with me and i had a broken heart and there's nothing worse than getting food poisoning, getting dumped, and then having to share a bed with your mom. you're just like it couldn't get any more fucked up than this.

[​IMG]

#74. Wake Up Exhausted 7.05

HIGH:
    10.00 x 2 @Petty Mayonnaise @Slice of Life
    LOW: 4.00 x 1 @Remorque
    MY SCORE: 8.50

ALBUM:
    So Jealous
    WRITER: Tegan

When I moved to Vancouver I had a couple friends that lived there and people we had known, and that’s what influenced me to move there, but I also just started a relationship six months prior and they lived there, too. And I got there and went on the road almost immediately and then everything sort of fell apart. The relationship broke up and the two people I knew there had moved, and the couple of people that moved there in Vancouver that I’d known I wasn’t really connected with anymore. So I felt very detached from home and I left very abruptly. I made the decision to move like, literally one day I called and said I was gonna move and a week later my friend packed up his car with all my stuff and drove me down and I was just like that was it. So when I wrote “Wake Up Exhausted”, I was writing from the position of all those people in a sense, and making fun of me, like telling me to stop thinking about them, because I went through a very nostalgic period where I couldn’t stop thinking about high school and old stuff, and so I sort of was picking on myself, and sort of saying get me off your mind; making fun of myself like, stop thinking about it, stop obsessing over things that were long past, and that I lost it and that was my fault and my problem.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww fuck you all. Stop invalidating Tegan's feelings!!!! This deserved to stay longer than some of the other tracks on So Jealous but it has Capital G Guitars so of course it didn't. The part where Tegan shifts from acoustic to the electric guitar is such a moment. Also is there a lovelier way to open a song than this: I wake up exhausted, it's not morning, it's back to sleep to re-dream me??? Maybe you need to have extremely vivid and strange dreams induced by SSRIs to feel over attached to that line. Who knows.

@Remorque (4) will always have his commentary posted first 'cause I still feel bad about forgetting it that one time: "There’s not really much to this one, isn’t there? I feel like this one is a bit basic compared to the rest of the album. And as much as I listen to it, it never really makes an impact or takes a punch, you know…" Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm k. @digitalkaiser (6) actually likes.... the guitars????????? "I really like the guitar work in this song, some of it sounds very ‘moody no doubt’ from a production sense. (Not the lyrics, singing or melody mind you, just the guitar) I think the album drags a bit by this time but it’s the sort of album that’s not really supposed to wow you with bops, its slow burning and melancholy, just like this song." I'll take it. Oh wait so does @constantino (7)!: "I LOVE the guitar hook, it adds a much needed sense of melancholy to proceedings." I'm so glad there are other people here who don't lose all common sense and rationality when a guitar line starts. @Slice of Life (10) is going to be so sad. "The have just a way with words. "We're strangers, we're not friends" is another great songwriting because it's so simple but it packs so much truth. And this song is so... classic-sounding. And I love it." LEAVE SLICE OF LIFE ALONE!!!! Oh and now you're going to stab my bff @Petty Mayonnaise (10) in the back too? "Queens of the most relatable song titles." Let's end with @send photo (7.5): "I haven’t had a decent night’s sleep in weeks. I don’t think this is relevant commentary it’s just a cry for help." Does this explain your scores? Because otherwise I don't want to hear it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  17. Slice of Life

I... I feel sick...

[​IMG]

LE0Night, constantino, Jwentz and 2 others like this.
  18. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

@eccentricsimply gave this a 4.5. You're welcome.

LE0Night and Slice of Life like this.
  19. F U C K O F F.

steste, LE0Night and ohnostalgia like this.
  20. No more tracks from the first four albums until the top 50 thanks X

LE0Night and Sprockrooster like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.