Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 36 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. OH, FUCK OFF!

LE0Night, Lander and ohnostalgia like this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

My super secret Love You To Death review went up in the advent calendar thread today.

3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

My immune system sucks and I've got a bad cold now (not the same thing I had last time I was sick just a few weeks ago). I honestly don't have the energy to make some cover art, transcribe a YouTube video, and write a post tonight. The good news though is that tomorrow is my last day at work for awhile so I'm hoping I'll be able to start cutting 2 songs a day again.

4. SNATCHED AND SCALPED TO THE BONE.

I made a playlist from my 10s and 11 in this rate and played it this morning, while driving I listed them chronically but I didnot finish it. When I got to 'Closer' my world stopped. SIayage for real. I had to replay and replay it. Poor following tracks. Never to be heard... Yet.

Oh and tragic 'I Run Empty' excluded from the playlist because of not being on spotify.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    LE0Night, send photo and ohnostalgia like this.
  5. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

please imagine me speaking this entire post in the most congested voice ever. thank you.

tegan: so this is another new song, as well, off the record. we're going to play a whole bunch in a row.

sara: i got your back.

tegan: that went good, it was good. had a few little mistakes- i caught myself with my eyes closed going like this at one point *dorky dancing* and i was like stop doing that, that's not looking cool at all.

sara: don't fuck up my songs by dancing all weird. i don't want the youtubes to be corrupted. *crowd laughs* ... no. come on. do you think i'd be that unkind? i love tegan's dancing, especially when she's been drinking. especially when she's been drinking and she's doing a dj set. which is what this one's about, this next song so.

tegan: yep.

[​IMG]

#67. Don't Rush 7.29

HIGH:
    9.20 x 1 @Ferk
    LOW: 4.00 x 1 @Posh Spears
    MY SCORE: 7.50

WRITER: Tegan
    ALBUM: Sainthood

Tegan needed to do more rushing with this one, to be honest. Every time I listen to Don't Rush I get really frustrated because I want it to be faster, to hit harder, be a bit more like Northshore or Hell. There are some fantastic elements here, particularly the cascading chorus, but I just feel like we're meandering when we should be moshing and getting our lives. It's a disconnect that prevents me from adoring this song wholeheartedly. Apparently Don't Rush was co-written with AFI's Hunter Burgan and uses Tegan's neighbourhood as a metaphor for her relationship ( with photographer Lindsey Byrnes I think, but don't quote me on that). *insert nice transition sentence that my brain can't think of during this trying time of nasal congestion*

Commentary time. Let's start with @digitalkaiser (6) who must live in regret as Sainthood tracks keep dropping like flies: "I can’t really explain why I like this song without repeating myself a whole bunch. It’s a very solid song, but it’s not a standout here. I think my favorite songs from T&S have punchy vocals and interesting propulsive production, which this fits nicely. I think the ending of the song is really my favorite part because it shows a softer (poppier) bit of vocal work for them." I was trying to think of an ending bit for you, but there's this couple who seems to be living their entire life in the hallway right now and I JUST WANT THEM TO GO AWAY. *deep breath* Okay. Let's move on to my rate hosting pupil @constantino (9): "The name inspired me to give this another chance after being underwhelmed by first listen…and boy am I glad I did. The hooks are subtle but they really creep up and snatch you on repeated listen." Guess I should let Tegan boss me around more. Here's some more love from @Jwentz (8)!: "Catchy as hell." Comparing this to the masterpiece that is Hell is a bit much, my friend. Reign it in a bit. Taking a more even keeled approach, we have @eccentricsimply (6): "I don't know if I'm into this more synth type of music, but I applaud them for going from The Con to this and still keeping a certain level of quality. The lyrics here are very simple and to the point, which I suppose goes a bit with the impression of a more minimalist album." There's nothing more Tegan than simple and to the point, and don't you dare interpret that as shade because it is a compliment!!! @Slice of Life (8.75) is always so good at finding the bright side. "Now this I can get behind. It's so catchy behind that rock production. Their lyrics are very abstract back then, right? Doesn't matter, the song still knocks." I hate optimism.

I had to single out this last commentary because I don't even understand it, @Posh Spears (4). "Too evil sounding! Sorry." ??????????????? If you're not imagining Tegan and Sara as your evil gay overladies, you're doing it wrong.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  6. Hehe. I don't really understand it either x

7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

tegan: when i was in junior high, which is in canada grades seven to grade nine, so i was eleven turning twelve until i was fourteen turning fifteen. so that age group- very awful, awkward time i believe. maybe not here in wales.

sara: apparently here in cardiff people are like "i love that age."

tegan: "i love that age."

sara: "i loved being thirteen and twelve was amazing."

tegan: yeah... for me it was awful. i've told a million stories about why, the first one being like that the first day of grade seven the girls rugby turned around and they were playing ub-40 red red wine on the pa, and she turned around and she's like "rachel totally lost her virginity to this song." twelve. twelve years old. ... i was like "oh god." um..... so .... um yeah. other things that were really hard about that age was that was like sorta when the pressure really started to come in to not just like dance with your boyfriend, but you had to do other things. and you know i was just like i don't want any, i just want to have sleepovers with my girl friends. don't get me wrong, i had tons and tons of, i mean i had loads of boyfriends 'cause i loved hanging out with boys. it was much easier 'cause i found out later on that i didn't feel nervous around boys, but um.

but i remember in grade uh seven, sara and i we both had boyfriends. sara's boyfriend was named jimmy and my boyfriend was named cory, and they were best friends. and cory was like a chatterbox red head and sara's boyfriend was like completely the opposite, very quiet, didn't have much to say. and sara basically just did not like him and she basically just started ignoring him at one point? *laughs* poor jimmy. but he would still call our house and i'm like the total, i'm a chickenshit so i couldn't let jimmy down. so really it became my responsibility to date jimmy and cory. jimmy would call up and be like, "is sara there?" and i'd be like, "no..... what are you doing jimmy?" and then he would play nintendo on the phone and he'd be like "i'll wait." and so i would do like other things and he would play nintendo and i'd be like *gestures cradling phone in shoulder* we wouldn't even speak to each other. and then the other line would go. and generally it was cory, and i'd be like ugh. i'd be on the line with jimmy, dying of boredom, and then the other line would go but i wouldn't want to go over 'cause i knew it was cory and i was like ughhhhhhhh.

[​IMG]

#66. Feel It In My Bones (Feat. Tiesto)

HIGH:
    10.00 x 1 @Ferk
    LOW: 3.00 x 1 @Jwentz
    MY SCORE: 7.00

ALBUM: Kaleidoscope
    WRITER: Both

Honestly I'm way more interested in talking about how listening to Tegan's middle school story helped me make sense of some of my own experiences than Feel It In My Bones. Like that time I cried when a guy asked me out in grade eight or how I wouldn't let my mom buy me form fitting clothes and I only wore huge tshirts and pants two sizes too big so boys wouldn't look at me. I'm going through this period right now where I'm questioning if I'm a bi woman who heavily prefers women or if I'm just a full on lesbian. So I have a bit more food for thought. ANYWAYS. I would also much rather talk about how @send photo had a secret doppleganger in Calgary named Jimmy. But I suppose I can muster up something to say about this one: it's fine. I'm sad (but not surprised) this outlasted so much of their earlier work. I'll give you a quote from Tegan about this song, since it's way more interesting than anything I would come up with:

Even though it’s not technically a Tegan and Sara song, I chose this because it was the first time Sara and I collaborated on a song that got released into the world. This was also the first time we’d co-written with somebody, so it was the first time someone was giving us feedback on what we’d written, but it wasn’t in the studio. We’d send our ideas to Tiesto and he’d write us back like, “Sing it more like this” or “I don’t like this lyric” or “You need to generate more emotion on this section.” It was really cool, kind of like a songwriting class. Sara and I were both so obsessed with him liking the song enough to put it on his record that we both were writing on it. It was a true collaboration; there’s like two sections that Sara wrote, and three that I wrote. I was listening back to it, and it’s such a funny, weird song. But even though it’s EDM, it’s truly a Tegan and Sara song. Our first four of five albums were really hard for me because I found it really difficult to be given feedback. I took any change as a criticism of the music I was making, so I found collaboration incredibly difficult, especially with Sara. But now I love it, maybe because we’re so far into our career or maybe because I have more confidence. Sometimes I just play songs for someone and I’ll ask, “Do you like the lyrics? If you could change the lyrics, would you?” I think I’m fearful of becoming too stuck in my ways and becoming redundant. I welcome collaboration now.

Okay that's pretty cool. Tegan come write my biography for me and turn all my questionable decisions into wonderful life lessons please and thank you. Anyways, let's open our commentary with queen of judgement and taste @Petty Mayonnaise (7.5): "The beat’s a bit basic, but they do save it a bit." I'd love to hear this song without the beat and I actually found an acoustic version on YouTube which I like! UGH EDM BEATS RUIN EVERY GODDAMN THING DON'T THEY? @digitalkaiser (8) talks some EDM shit: "For a collaboration with the often uninspired Tiesto, this 2009 track has always had me firmly hooked. I love the lyrics, the punchy production and the euphoric blips and beeps throughout the song. I enjoy listening to the extended mix for that little extra ‘trancey’ something. I really feel like this + Body work was a bridge between sainthood and the pop explosion that would end up being heartthrob. Its dipping of toes, and it works remarkably well!" People willingly listen to a longer version of this?????? @constantino (7) depresses me with the sad state of clubs these days: "WAIT. I never thought I’d hear Tegan and Sara in the club…but here we are…" You mean they don't play the 2016 pop remix of Our Trees on Friday night? Kill them.

@Posh Spears (7) uses some words: "Very of its time, but an interesting new style for them and I enjoy it." K. Oh, it's @eccentricsimply (7.5): "Okay, this is lowkey a bop." dddddd. @First2Run (8) continues to channel the unfortunate taste displayed in his First Eras rate: "I’ll admit, it’s not the most memorable song, but I can’t find anything to complain about it. I do love how they can maintain their personality and quirkiness over a generic beat." AN EIGHT FOR THAT COMMENTARY???????? AN EIGHT? At least @Ferk (10) gave commentary more worthy of his score: "You always run away!" I love their voices on that line. I remember being so shocked that they'd collaborated with a dance music artist but they pulled it off beautifully." You know it's dire when @Slice of Life (5) can't really find a compliment: "The songwriting is okay but yikes, this sounds so random... and unnecessary." But I see he found those words @Posh Spears was looking for, so kudos to him. @Jwentz (3) had the courage to do what I did not: "Delete it Tiesto." But really he should be deleting this tragic commentary from @Sprockrooster (7): "Upped a bit, because of chauvinistic reasons. That outro is legitimately outstanding though!"

... CHAUVINISM?????
    IN THE TEGAN AND SARA RATE?????????
    RUN BY OHNOSTALGIA??????
    GET OUT. GET OUT NOW.
    YOU DO NOT DESERVE THEM.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  8. This and 'Body Work' are my favorite of their EDM collaborations. And yes, the extended version is actually quite nice.

digitalkaiser and LE0Night like this.
    LE0Night and ohnostalgia like this.
  10. Chauvinism because Tiesto is Dutch and I will always support my country stars. And you cannot stop me.

Oh. And Red Red Wine is by the way iconic. Thanks for reminding me to listen this on a cold Saturday night. Bringing so much warmth.

And there is pop remix from Our Trees? Or was that a joke?

11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

It was a joke, but if you can convince someone on this forum to do it we're in business.

LE0Night and Sprockrooster like this.
  12. Oh. I need to get to work than.

LE0Night and ohnostalgia like this.
  13. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

I ACTUALLY YELPED. WHAT A KWEEN. Kween of Charitably Dating Her Sister's Boyfriend!

LE0Night, send photo and ohnostalgia like this.
  14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I wonder how many boyfriends of Sara she had to date until Sara discovered girlfriends. Iconic.

15. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

N N N N THE JOKES WRITE THEMSELVES.

LE0Night, ohnostalgia and send photo like this.
  16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I CANNOT BELIEVE I HIT SO CLOSE TO HOME.

17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

tegan: anyway this song is actually about my first winter in vancouver, and i actually sadly enough missed the snow a bit. and i wrote this song um, i had also been indulging in some daiquiris, and uh i wrote it in the streets outside of my apartment building... without a guitar, just started kinda screaming it, and um... sara lived in my building and she probably heard me. she's a loser, she was probably at home in bed. so anyways, this is that song.

[​IMG]

#65. Don't Confess 7.333

HIGH
    : 9.00 x 1 @LE0Night
    LOW: 4.00 x 1 @send photo
    MY SCORE: 6.50

ALBUM: If It Was You
    WRITER: Tegan

Oh, Tegan. Tegan, Tegan, Tegan. If I'd known you sent a snow storm to Vancouver as revenge on @send photo, maybe I'd have been a bit nicer to poor little Jimmy. It's_just_not_realistic.gif.

While listening to Don't Confess this evening I must confess I felt slightly bad about my 6.50. This is a decent little torch song with some nice vocals from Tegan. However, once I found out it was a torch song for SNOW I retracted these feelings of guilt pretty quickly. I've been dying under a deep freeze for two weeks and I don't need to play with even more demons. But!!! I found a Christmas Miracle within the commentary: @Ferk and @Sprockrooster agreeing on an old song. @Sprockrooster (8) calls this a "great closer for an album." Then @Ferk (8) throws out the same score, but messes up the season: "I have a feeling this is going to suffer in the rate but my best friend was absolutely obsessed with this song when we were 17. It will always bring back memories of that summer for me, when we were still so young and thought we'd rule the world some day." Can I time travel and create memories for all the songs you torpedoed from this album? 'Cause I will. Don't underestimate my dedication to petty pursuits.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  18. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Tomorrow I have some bones to pick with a lot of you.

19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

But in the meantime let's all look at this hot picture they just posted on Instagram.

[​IMG]

20. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

There's about three of you who are in danger tomorrow.

digitalkaiser and send photo like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.