Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 37 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

I'm here for this. It's been a while since I've been dragged. Hehe.

A The Con track is leaving, right?

ohnostalgia likes this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Hmmmmm.

send photo and Slice of Life like this.
  3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Oh yeah this happened too. I suddenly have a lot of spare time on my hands, so be forewarned I'll probably be posting random videos in here again.

4. I love the 90's realness they're serving in the cover photo you chose. I had no idea this was about snow but even then it'll always conjure memories of sweltering summers to me.

And yes you may time travel speed as Britney would say if you wish...funnily enough my 17 year old self probably would have rated the songs I trampled much higher.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  5. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

sara: thanks for being here guys, are you ready for an old song? an old, old song? it feels strange to say that a song is old because i guess in terms of a career it's old, but in terms of life it's not so old. um. how many of you were born in the 1980s? *cheer* i don't know what the rules are here, were any of you born in the 1990s? *louder cheer but also some boos* ..okay.

tegan: whoa, whoa, whoa, okay. they didn't choose when they were born.

sara: seriously. oh my god. um when we were growing up all of our friends had siblings, you know older brothers and sisters, and i always felt so uncool. like we had missed something because we didn't have an older brother or sister. our mom was very cool and very hip, but she wasn't an older sibling, you know, she was, she probably was looking down on people that were the age of our friends' older brothers and sisters, but anyways. we couldn't, we didn't learn anything from our mother. she tried so hard to intervene, she was like you need different hair, different clothes, let's just start fresh. and we pretty much as adolescents were like "eat shit" and we didn't listen to her. and we would've done a lot better if we had just listened to our mother, so that's the first listen i want to give you tonight, is your mom probably does know more than you do.

and then the second thing is that i always idolized my friends' older brothers and sisters, they always seemed so much cooler and i wanted so so badly to have an older sibling because tegan and i were just figuring it out as we went and i just thought it was so cool that my friends got to like, you know, they sorta got to eavesdrop on, you know, what their older siblings were listening to and all the bad things that they were doing, and i just desperately wanted some kind of help navigating all of that. and we just, we were like two steps removed from it most of the time. but one thing i remember is the first year i got out of high school i met this really cool girl and she was quite a lot older than me- not in a sexual way. she was just my friend. just 'cause i'm a lesbian doesn't mean every girl was someone i was trying to have sex with. just fyi.

tegan: just most of them!

sara: no, i was already in a monogamous relationship with someone of my own age, and i met a girl and she was so smart and she loved this band called the smiths. and i'd never heard of the smiths. and i remember, it makes me cringe and i basically want to die when i think about it, but i remember i was nineteen (call me) and i went over to her house and she was playing the smiths and i was like "this band's awesome. like when did- who's this?" and she was like "it's the smiths." and i was like "oh cool, yeah, i don't really know the smiths." and then i immediately went the next day and i bought a bunch of smiths records and i was like became very into the smiths, but way too late, you know? like i was a late bloomer and i just remember thinking like that's why i wish i had a fucking sibling because i should've known about this so long ago like god! it's just so embarrassing.

*tegan is sadly gesturing to herself*

sara: but anyways, that was a very long story, but this is, the truth is this is one of the first songs that i wrote after i discovered the smiths.

[​IMG]

#64. Monday Monday Monday 7.338

HIGH:
    10.00 x 2 @Jwentz @ohnostalgia
    LOW: 4.50 x 1 @eccentricsimply, 5.00 x 2 @LA Hallucinations @Sprockrooster

ALBUM: If It Was You
    WRITER: Sara

LOL
    :/
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL

I mean really you all could just disappear and I wouldn't be that bothered at this point. How dare you deny Monday Monday Monday it's deserved spot from the Top 50!!! OVER A NIGHT TERRORS FROM 1927 SONG??? THE POWER OF WHITE DICK I GUESS.

Monday Monday Monday is such a beautiful little depressive bop. The production is on point, the lyrics are so achingly teenage angst, the melody is strong, and you get to yell damn your mood swings!!! a lot. I'm not really sure what else you would need for a perfect Tegan & Sara song, but I suppose you all think you know better (newsflash: you don't). Now that I know Sara was influenced by the Smiths I can definitely hear that, but before that story this reminded me a lot of melancholy sixties pop songs. It's just so goddamn beautiful. Speaking of beautiful, there's a wonderful Aussie music video that has Sara serving lewk upon lewk. But only those of you who gave this a score of 7 or higher are allowed to thirst after her, so say goodbye to Sara now @send photo (6.50). Not that she was paying attention to you anyways, JIMMY.

So what does @eccentricsimply (4.5) have to say for herself??? "The music video is a trip and two, but most videos in early 2000 were a bit nonsensical I guess." I mean that has absolutely nothing to do with the music, but okay. At least you didn't find the cool alternate video where they are really hot. I have that to hold in my chest. Also I don't think that sneaky little DON'T HATE ME you submitted with your commentary is working out for me. @Remorque (6) at least gives out a reasoned explanation for his sub-7 score: "This actually reminded me of some of the Manic Street Preachers’ softer sound during the ‘90s and I’ll probably be in the minority here, but that warrants it a point more. For the rest it’s quite lovely, but it never really goes anywhere though." The not going anywhere is the best part of the song though... I'd love to tell you what @LA Hallucinations (5) was thinking, but he's been disowned and we're no longer in contact. I'm sure @Sprockrooster (5) will have some horrible reason for his score, but just know that you erased all the goodwill you earned from me here so far, buddy. Also @First2Run (6) don't think you're not getting a call out- I expect a 1000 word essay on why I'm right and you're wrong by this Monday at 4:30 pm.

Thank god for @Slice of Life (9.25): "Another pop song hidden under the indie safety net. Cute little ditty." P R E A C H!!! @constantino (9) has some high high words of praise: "As much as I love their recent material, I often find myself yearning for the grit they had in their voices back in their early material. This song proves that they have always had a pop sensibility to their songwriting, even before they discovered synths." Yes, they've been a pop group with rock instrumentation for most of their early career, I'm glad you agree with me. Let's go to the musical references section of our commentary! Apparently @Ferk (7) was also picking up on the sixties vibes: " I love the almost...Motown?....vibe this song has in places. The lyrics are great at describing how time seems to melt into one big blur when you lose the one you love." @digitalkaiser (7) brings up another good reference: "What a slice of pop heaven? I love how shoegazey it is. Dipping deep into their discography you really find some hidden gems, preludes of things that would come far later. This song in particular makes me think of another 3-word-repeated title (I know, I know, I know) and I enjoy that song, so I love this one too. I love the guitar playing in the middle-8 part." SHOEGAZE!!!! Yes, that's pretty much it, isn't it? I'll give the final word to the only person I truly love in this rate at this particular moment, @Jwentz (10): "My first exposure to the girls was this song burned onto a mixtape my best friend in high school gave me after my first breakup. It perfectly captured how mundane everything felt at the time, and it’s so catchy so I just played the shit out of it." AWWWWWW.

6. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

7. WHAT THE FUCK YOU GUYS!!1!

8. Slice of Life

When you expected to be dragged but you were saved once again... Hehehe.

[​IMG]

9. I do not remember it?

10. Slice of Life

That was my plan all along. Hihihi.

LE0Night, ohnostalgia and send photo like this.
  11. The monkey video is one of my favorites by them. It's almost annoyingly ~quirky but it works.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

LOOK I KNOW YOU'RE GOING THROUGH SOME MEGHAN TRAINOR BOPPING CRISIS RIGHT NOW, BUT THIS IS A VERY SENSITIVE TIME FOR ME.

Eat shit.

You're just making it worse.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

If you want to get a pop production on this, listen to the 4th video. And then please apologize to me and @Jwentz.

Jwentz likes this.
  14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Do not try to bond with me over a Canadian joke right now. What you're going to do is watch the last two live videos and change this horrendous opinion.

LE0Night and send photo like this.
  15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

So yes, we've crowned our winning If It Was You song.
    But first let's take a trip down memory lane...

[​IMG]

110 COME ON KIDS

[​IMG]

107 AND DARLING (THIS THING THAT BREAKS MY HEART)

[​IMG]

97. NOT TONIGHT

[​IMG]

97. WANT TO BE BAD

[​IMG]
    95. UNDERWATER

[​IMG]

92. TERRIBLE STORM

[​IMG]

84. TIME RUNNING

[​IMG]

82. CITY GIRL

[​IMG]

81. I HEAR NOISES

[​IMG]

68. YOU WENT AWAY

[​IMG]

65. DON'T CONFESS

[​IMG]

64. MONDAY MONDAY MONDAY

That means the #1 If It Was You song,
    as crowned by the questionable voters of PJ
    and yours truly is....

LIVING ROOM*

*Which I better not be eliminating for a very long time considering it's probably in my Top 15 Tegan & Sara songs of all time (all time).

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  16. Amazing graphics!

17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I hate looking them up on mobile afterwards though cause the post doesn't look as nice as the one I create on desktop. But thank you. I needed to channel my rage into something vaguely productive. N n n that this is a productive task in my life right now.

18. Haha well I'm on mobile right now actually. I'd better run to a computer to see the real thing!

Also don't feel bad because I just spent a long time making a graphic for my Cher Lloyd rate meanwhile I don't even know when it's happening.

Slice of Life and ohnostalgia like this.
  19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

All you people preparing graphics ahead of time. I need to feel my feelings on that day.

20. I'm just so excited to finally run a rate of my own! But most of the writings, graphics will probably be on the spot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.