Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 39 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

The Night Terrors of 1927 song is my new Where Do Broken Hearts go (bonus throwback reference for my 1D fans), but 10000 times worse because it's not even their song!!!

Posh Spears likes this.
  2. #JusticeForNobodyCompares

ohnostalgia likes this.
  3. I wonder for how much longer these 'OH MY GOD GUYS WHAT THE FUCK THAT SONG IS AMAZING DFBDJKFBDFBKJW' reactions are gonna continue...I mean the averages are all high at this point...

Slice of Life likes this.
  4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

At least until we kick out the stupid Night Terrors song. I hate that I gave it a 6.5 now.

Slice of Life and constantino like this.
  5. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Someone's 11 hangs in the balance as I debate whether I want to kick out the first part of our tie today... and to clarify the 11 is not the song I'm mad about leaving.

Slice of Life likes this.
  6. @ohnostalgia your write up was every bit as lovely as the song.

XOXO

Slice of Life and ohnostalgia like this.
  7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

tegan: um please welcome back to the stage dallas from city and colour. sara had to go to the bathroom so dallas said he would fill in. um so when i was eighteen years old i decided not to go to university. *to dallas* did you do the same thing?

dallas: i went.

tegan: you went?

dallas: no.

tegan: you didn't, i didn't think so. and i decided that i was going to write music and make records and do that sort of thing and one of the first songs that i wrote in that time was this next song that i'm going to play. and i hate it, i just felt so detached from it. *shushes crowd* i felt so detached from it, i'm telling you from my heart. my heart wants you to know that it felt completely disconnected from the song, but i had this idea that maybe when we did this next tour that maybe dallas and i could, you know, try to work on something and come up with something to make the song- cause you guys ask for it all the time - and so i was like okay, i'm going to try. and so i didn't do anything. i just called dallas and said "you do it" and this is what we came up with and hopefully - we haven't practiced it since yesterday, so we'll be fine. and we have to share words and we're both blind... so anyway, here we go.

[​IMG]

#61a. The First 7.397

HIGH:
    11.00 x 1 @ethansiafbjork 10.00 x 1 @Sprockrooster
    LOW: 3.00 x 1 @Ferk
    MY SCORE: 7.50

ALBUM: This Business of Art
    WRITER: Tegan

This is a neat little song that I honestly did not expect to beat 3/4 of the mandatory If It Was You tracks, but here we are. Some of you really really liked this!!! I don't blame you; it's very quirky yet poppy and has Tegan's pseudo sing talking and signature growly delivery. The bridge is definitely a great moment. But probably the best part is the little plug the girls give for @Jwentz's upcoming Fast Food Rate (coming to an Off Topic subforum near you!).

on the edge of town where the gravel's thin
    they're going to wear you down
    until you're thin and tired tired tired
    of wasting time in the fast food line

I disagree completely on it outlasting Monday Monday Monday, but I've just gotta let it go. By critiquing your commentary, of course. It's like @Remorque (7.5) just knew I hate the over-used "where's the melody???" critique: "At first this one sounds in dire need of a melody, but as the song progresses, the girls open up to us, give us layers upon layers of attitude and I ended up loving this one more than I thought I ever would." It's definitely a song that grows on you, like I could probably give it an 8 now and not feel remorse. My dear friend @Petty Mayonnaise (5) disagrees, but is fair: "It’s...fine. It really doesn’t do much for me, tibb." I kinda wish you knocked it down one point so it wouldn't tie the next song you all did wrong, but we can't change that now. @digitalkaiser (7) is stanning: "This is such a great song, it sounds very different from the remainder of their discography. It shows the girls have really come full circle to the more recent releases, with production and electronic elements shining. I love the rap-singing, the growling vocals, the increasing speed. I love when the beat cuts out and they both start singing with the acoustic guitar in the background. So nostalgic, it sounds like it was released just recently. The Joanne-lite vocals have me CLENCHED." It really is miles ahead production wise over lots of their earlier work, isn't it? @Jwentz (7) also singles this out: "I forgot about the slight trip hop influences on their debut, the production flourishes are actually great here."

It's no surprise to me that @constantino (9) loves this: "I LOVE the video, it feels ~raw~ and ~authentic~ without being contrived. The song itself is packed full of angst and frustration and I’m fully on board with it." I expect a full report once you find the time to listen to the first three albums, sis. @Slice of Life (9.75) is also feeling the video: "So before becoming rockstars and later on, popstars, they were first rapstars. I love evolution! This is actually very pop-y underneath the hard veneer. They look so boss in the music video too." Honestly, it's such a LEWK. I love how they're so obviously not traditionally feminine and completely unapologetic about it. Also Sara is a much better blonde than Justin Bieber (which I've seen her blonde look compared to, don't @ me personally). Oh wait here's @send photo (7.5) to make me sound really creepy! "They’re like 20 in this video right? Not them looking like 14 year old me. Ageless queens." Thanks a lot.

@Posh Spears (8) is having a rough day in this rate: "I’m like, moderately slayed by this?!" I have it on repeat now kii. @eccentricsimply (4) is the rate grump once again: "This sounds so much like something 12, 13 year old me would adore with a lot of passion. As it is..." I can't wait until you probably go back and start liking all that music again. It's what happened to me! I think @Sprockrooster (10) is going to have a heart attack when he sees this result: "This one washes all over me on the first spins and grows even more afterwards." But he also low scored I Was Married so do I care? Another person who gave a very low score to I Was Married was @ethansiafbjork (11) so just know that vengeance will always be mine. Anyways here's his last word: "Really quirky, really liked it. Listen to it often now."

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Here's the deal, I originally did plan to write about the other part of the tie today, but it's going to be a write up that's very personal to me and I'm a bit emotionally tired, so I'll do it tomorrow.

9. My fear of losing the first 3 albums before top 50 is getting more likely, tragically.

10. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

UGH I forgot @Remorque's I Was Married commentary but I actually can't go back and edit it into the post because I passed character limit: "This is more of an experimental side of their earlier work as it’s a bit of a continuation from their early work into a little something else, but I can’t quite put my finger on it. It’s length can be why someone would view this as more of an intro, but I always see it as a full song that blends great into what was to come on the album."

@eccentricsimply did you see the Foundation stuff yet?

11. [​IMG]

Me pondering the shame my scores have caused my family, loved ones, this forum, kittens and humanity as a whole.

12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I'm sure we'll go back to @send photo fucking everything up. A new rate villain will be debuting soon too, so you just gotta wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. As long as I maybe sold you a tiny bit more on I Was Married, everything is good.

Slice of Life and send photo like this.
  13. Oh absolutely, I think sometimes the lyrics can get lost for me even If I'm reading them or trying to focus on them. I'm very...technical in a sense, I focus on melodies, production, feel, tone, I even heavily connect songs to times and places and moods...but not literal lyrics or thoughts behind them. I can really see how it might relate, especially to my life in particular. (I'm starting to think I'm...one of the few married gay people on this forum. ....)

Very interesting to read it's herstory. I loved your touching connection to it. I think my scores are a mixture of me just being a dense music listener, and not giving The Con the time of day to shine because of my past with it.

Slice of Life and ohnostalgia like this.
  14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

sara: dad when you hear our music, and by our music i mean me, do you feel like, do you feel worried about me? do you?

papa quin: absolutely.

sara: you do?

papa quin: sure. i think it's like anything that you guys do- when it starts to get... hmmm weird, different, scary... um yeah you get a little concerned. *dials pretend phone* hey sonia?

sara: do you really call mom and ask her if we're okay?

papa quin: eh, well i don't know if i call sonia and say are you okay, but when we end up chatting... um yeah.

tegan: you check up on us.

papa quin: what you do, you know, it affects us so, you know, there'd be a conversation.

[​IMG]

#61b. Knife Going In 7.397

HIGH:
    10.00 x 3 @Jwentz @ohnostalgia @Remorque
    LOW: 5.50 x 1 @First2Run

ALBUM: The Con
    WRITER: Sara

Fucking hell, you guys!!!!!!!!!! I could get really mad right now, but let me get emotional instead. That seems to win more people over and make them feel guilty for killing my faves....

"When I wrote that song, my grandma had passed away, and it was a long, drawn-out thing… I’d gotten off the road and had this really awful dream about her, and it involved me being stabbed in her bedroom. It was this really intense dream and symbolic. I got up and just wrote the song without even thinking about how the lyrics might appear to an outsider." - Sara

I have never in my life heard a song that captures anxiety in such a breathtaking way. Make no mistake, this song is abrasive and upsetting; I get that. But it's also what makes it so powerful. From the moment I put this song on I feel off-kilter in the very best way. The way Sara just belts out ANÑNÑN-XIOUUUUS is beautiful, yet confrontational. She's not going to let you hide from her pain, you will feel it and live in it and honour it, and then we will all wake up from the fever dream together unsettled, but stronger. If we've interacted for any measure of time on this forum, you're probably aware that I've struggled with anxiety my entire life. That's not by accident; I purposefully speak about my experiences because I didn't have anybody do the same for me when I was growing up. Actually I woke up from a bad dream this morning feeling very anxious and the feeling hasn't completely left me today, so it's kinda fitting that I'm writing about this song today. Anyways - and I can only speak for myself- but this song strongly embodies how I experience anxiety attacks. I don't necessarily get attacks where I feel like I'm dying, but what happens is that I get really unsettled, I can't focus, my thoughts will race, I feel hot, I pace, I might shake or run away or break down in tears. I really connect to "I'm feeling anxious, not enough to kill me" and "the kind of song I know causes mother, sister, lover worry" because I've been there so many damn times. Most days I can't believe that Sara. Did. That.

I knew @Petty Mayonnaise (8) would get it: "This is bizarre….but I like it? A bit of a punch in the gut, though." Our musical soulmate connection continues. It sounds like @digitalkaiser (6) went through a similar experience: "Some interesting folky production here, very similar to Relief Next To Me in that regards. It's a pretty dark song in the scheme of things, this one makes me anxious, which is hilarious in light of the words. It definitely hit home to where I when I was listening to this album, in some ways it's very hopeful because it never gives you a definitive ending and instead encourages you to allow this mess to pass." I'm glad you touched on the hopeful element, I did always find it striking that Sara ends with "I let it pass." @constantino (7) displays his signature way with words: "This graphic baroque ditty!" @eccentricsimply (8) makes a suggestion I will refute entirely: "Another song that would've gotten a lot if the vocals had been produced in a different way. Regardless, it's still good. I particularly like the way "anxious" is sung." I can't imagine this song with another production, but you could always try the live version to see if it works for you. @Slice of Life (8.25): "Who is this Emy person? Is it their grandmother? I'm intrigued. This song is rather brooding and kinda panicky." Emy is Sara's ex-wife N N N. Last word to my bestie @Jwentz (10): "‘Emmy should I stop’ still gives me shivers."

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

My dad helps me with my taxes so it would be an honour if I end up coming out because I donate to the Tegan and Sara foundation.

16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

TOP 60

[​IMG]

Divided
    Superstar*

[​IMG]

My Number
    Superstar*

[​IMG]

Living Room

[​IMG]

You Wouldn't Like Me
    I Bet It Stung
    I Know I Know I Know
    Where Does The Good Go
    Downtown
    Walking With A Ghost
    So Jealous
    Speak Slow
    Fix You Up
    I Can't Take It

[​IMG]

Relief Next To Me
    The Con
    Are You Ten Years Ago
    Back In Your Head
    Burn Your Life Down
    Nineteen
    Floorplan
    Like O, Like H
    Dark Come Soon
    Call It Off

[​IMG]

Arrow
    Hell
    On Directing
    Red Belt
    The Cure
    Northshore
    Alligator
    The Ocean
    Sentimental Tune

[​IMG]

Closer
    Goodbye, Goodbye
    I Was A Fool
    I'm Not Your Hero
    Drove Me Wild
    How Come You Don't Want Me
    I Couldn't Be Your Friend
    Love They Say
    Now I'm All Messed Up
    Shock To Your System
    Guilty As Charged
    I Run Empty

[​IMG]

That Girl
    Faint of Heart
    Boyfriend
    Dying To Know
    Stop Desire
    White Knuckles
    100x
    BWU
    U-turn
    Hang On To The Night

[​IMG]

Body Work (Feat. Morgan Page)
    Don't Find Another Love
    When You Were Mine (Feat. Night Terrors of 1927)
    Shudder To Think

BONUS ROUND. FIRST PERSON TO CORRECTLY IDENTIFY THE GIRLS IN THESE PICS GETS A CUSTOM MADE TEGAN AND SARA GIF.

17. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

PRETTY!!! I AM SHOOK!!!

I'm not even gonna try. I know I'll get dragged if I make one single mistake.

send photo and ohnostalgia like this.
  18. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I picked close ups from the LYTD era to make it extra challenging for the newbies since Tegan doesn't have her piercing anymore plus they rock a very similar hairstyle. I mean for me it's super easy...

send photo and Slice of Life like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.