Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 43 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I forgot to convert the exchange rate when donating to the Foundation. But I feel like I can't be upset about it?

2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

tegan: i managed to fuck up this next song every single night in a very spectacular way, and always a different way. last night i tried sitting down and calming down and i got it right. so i am going to do something similar tonight because i felt embarrassed the last few nights before that. so i'm just gonna sit right here- i'm sorry most of you all will no longer see me. look at sara, she looks a lot like me.

SPOILER ALERT

She fucked it up again.

[​IMG]

#55. I Know I Know I Know 7.45

HIGH: 10.00 x 1 @Jwentz
    LOW: 6.00 x 2 @eccentricsimply @Sprockrooster
    MY SCORE: 7.00

ALBUM: So Jealous
    WRITER: Tegan

This has been a rough few days for our dear @Jwentz.... at least it beat the Night Terrors song? I Know I Know I Know is one of those songs I want to like more than I do, you know? I think I finally hit on why I don't respond to this with complete adoration; the tempo is just too slow for me. If this was sped up just a step I think it could be a great rocker, but as it stands it feels a bit ... meandering. It's a bit symbolic of my entire relationship with So Jealous, which is the one Tegan & Sara album I think I should like more than I actually do. But I won't give up and one day I bet it will click. In the meantime let's read what Tegan has to say about this:

Yeah, 'I Know I Know I Know" is weird. I only write songs generally when I’m by myself; I’m not the type of person that jams out on my guitar if anyone’s in the house or hanging around. When we had lots of time off a bunch of my friends came down from Calgary and I didn’t do anything. I basically just watched television and hung out with my friends. And then there was a weekend when I was all alone and I wrote “Where Does The Good Go,” “Take Me Anywhere,” and “I Know I Know I Know” back to back. And with “I Know I Know I Know,” I thought that the bridge part - the “stick your hands in” - I thought it kinda sounded like a cheesy ballad. There was moments where I thought I sounded like Celine Dion or somebody like that, because it seemed so ballad-y and straight ahead pop.....

So that’s a favorite of mine, I really like that song and it makes me sad when I play it, but I think it’s a good song. I don’t know why it makes me sad, there’s just something about the song. I was really happy and was in a good relationship and feeling really strong and stable when I wrote this record, but I was sort of filtering old feelings and old stuff from past relationships. And then I spent a lot of times sort of like being a spectator to Sara’s break up, and my mom had just gotten into a new relationship, and just sort of felt like, you don’t even know what you have and then it’s gone. At the time, I was sorta feeling like, umm - I know I’ve been dumped before and then every relationship you see around you, you just want to be angry at them because you’re like, “Respect each other, love each other, don’t lose it, it’s so great what you have!” So that song was like my reminder that you have to be good to one another.

@Remorque (6.5) is a bit weary: "This was actually quite instant for me when I first started listening to the album, but after repeated listens I found it does go on a bit though. I might be underscoring a bit, but when it comes to their really good stuff this just gets overshadowed…" @digitalkaiser's (7) love also faded: "This track is such a smooth slow burner. I think the lyrics on this are really the strongest part, but the ‘I know I know I know’ bit is really memorable and cute and stands up above the rest, I think the chorus parts are a pedestrian sounding, but I think it might be my age and tastes that have changed because I used to listen to this on repeat. I’d say this is a pretty poppy song at its core." However, @constantino (7) had a reverse expedition: "I don’t know I don’t know I don’t know if I’m a fan of this, I feel like it’s missing something… EDIT: OK it’s a grower for sure. @Jwentz (10) remembers the halycon days: "I remember screaming when this song showed up on Veronica Mars, get that CW promo gurls." Okay, but Shonda paid this dust, so I feel a bit bad for them. @eccentricsimply (6) experienced the Tegan Effect: "They tackle love in such a cute way in some songs. "Stick your hands inside of my pockets/Keep them warm while I'm still here" is honestly adorable." I know right??????? GAH. @Slice of Life (9.75) makes an appropriate comparison, unlike some people in this rate: "Okay, okay, this actually reminds me of early Paramore. I mean, not this song but the whole album? Maybe that's why I'm rather receptive to it? I don't know. Frankly I don't care. I'm liking what I hear. This song is quite heartbreaking in the sweetest possible way." Did you know that T&S toured for Paramore? I can't be bothered to look but I wonder if Hayley was influenced by them. Final word to @send photo (8): "The emotion expressed in their voices is really sad and longing." Poor Tegan. Dating her sister's boyfriend really took a toll on her.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  3. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

PARAMORE NEEDS TO WORK WITH TEGAN & SARA ON THEIR NEXT ALBUM!!! PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN @God!!!

ohnostalgia and LE0Night like this.
  4. [​IMG]

5. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

[​IMG]

6. Slice of Life

It's time to move on, dear Jimjim.

It's been what? Two decades? Let it go.

ohnostalgia and send photo like this.
  7. I'm a bit shocked So Jealous and The Con are taking so many more hits than Sainthood. The former is their big breakthrough and the latter is their proper arrival, meanwhile Sainthood is an album marked by growing pains (which now knowing about their intense fighting during this period only makes more sense) and besides it's singles is a less accessible album than the other two.

8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

tegan: so lately i've been saying this but, i have found it has happened on this record cycle over the last two years, but i have found that our audience has grown so diverse. so many different kinds of people, so many ages, so many backgrounds, so many heights and sizes and ages, and i said ages already, but it doesn't matter. i'm really trying to hit home how different you all are from each other. and yet you came here, you came to see tegan and sara and it's so special, it's so nice. i recognize that i'm acting like somebody who like snorted speed or also smoked a joint, but i just, i'm so happy and i feel so excited by this whole experience. and lately i've been noticing that in particular something i have grown to see more and more, this is happening more and more i mean-

*audience yells*

tegan: yeah that and... no idea actually. wait and now i need to know what you said. what did you say?

audience guy: sit on my face

tegan: sit on your face? let's put the lights up! let's put the lights up!

sara: let's see what kind of face we're looking at.

tegan: who's face do i get to sit on?

sara: i will sit on your face, sir. i will.

tegan: oh yes that is exactly the kind of face i usually sit on, actually so. yeah. *laughs* *waves* hi! you're that shy, you're going to be no fun, you seem awesome. *points* who yelled it over there? did you say sit on my face too? okay, i see. you look adorable as well, i can't take you to town. *points* hi yes you, you're also very cute. yeah. and you and you and you. enough about you! stop it, turn the lights back down.

sara: is that like- is that a big thing right now in this world?

tegan: sit on your face? yes.

sara: sitting on your face?

tegan: i don't, i have a feeling i don't wanna be judgemental, but i don't feel like some of those people like girls sitting on their face anyway. *laughs*

[​IMG]

#54. Downtown 7.47

HIGH:
    10.00 x 1 @Sprockrooster
    LOW: 4.00 x 1 @eccentricsimply
    MY SCORE: 7.50

ALBUM:
    So Jealous
    WRITER: Sara

Downtown is a bit of a slow burner isn't it? It really isn't until you hit that chorus that you realize how beautiful this can be: if you're going downtown take me with you, I don't care. Sara is so good at writing subtle longing it's almost not fair that she unleashes that talent on the unsuspecting world. Maybe cliche, but I love connecting this to the iconique Petula Clark smash: when you're alone and life is making you lonely, you can always go downtown. I found this quote from Tegan about Downtown that really drove the link home for me:

Sara moved to Montreal about six months into our last record. She went there, didn’t know anybody there, it was like middle of winter, minus gazillion, and she’s stuck in this big old apartment with no furniture and she sent me all these really sad pictures of just like her bed on the floor and her computer. And she wrote songs like “Downtown” when she first moved there. She had a crush on someone and they were in another relationship and she said she kinda felt like a stalker when she’d see them out and about. I know that that song and “Walking With A Ghost” were sorta themed around the idea of wanting to be with somebody you couldn’t be with. I can just picture her sitting in her big open window staring out at the ice and snow and wishing that person was there. And I don’t know, it makes me depressed. Actually, most of her songs on the record can make me feel depressed.

Everything is fine!!!!

Right @Remorque (8)? "I love the melancholy production on this one. The girls sound fine and floaty, but it’s the music that draws me in here. Made me feel all warm and loving inside." No, we're feeling depressed right now. @digitalkaiser (7) is grieving: "Listening to this album and this song makes me kind of miss the use of a lot of guitars in their work! I love the drum beat of this song and the fact that the chorus is pretty soft/subdued and not easily identifiable. There is that cute little ‘hummy synth’ bit that frequent a lot of songs on this album, I don’t even really know what it is but I love it. The ending explosion and pace change makes the song." Tegan mentioned missing the guitar somewhere, there's still hope! Meanwhile @constantino (7) exposes my flop rate hosting pace: "I feel like I can only appreciate this when listening under a blanket and a cup of tea next to a lit fire, so let me give that a go now that it’s November. EDIT: Yep, I was correct." I'm hibernating. @Slice of Life (9.25) is feeling emotions! ""I only get up for you." N N N N Isn't this the sweetest thing ever? I miss feeling this for someone. Come on feelings, let's get unraveled. Ugh. I'm also shook that this is 4 minutes long." Aw. Let's ruin this moment with @send photo (6): "Downtown smells like piss and pot every morning." We get it, you live in Vancouver. Okay back to cuteness with @Ferk (8.9): ""If you're going downtown I might as well be on your way" is such an adorable lyric. I love the sentiment of this song." SEE!!! Someone might want to volunteer to go downtown with @Sprockrooster (10) and make sure he's okay: "Late night balcony anthem. Yes. I love to sit on my balcony and listen to music and stare at the city. It calms me in times of stress. This song is perfect for it."

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  9. Slice of Life

These So Jealous eliminations can go to hell and rot there. I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS.

10. Me: *regrets not giving Like O, Like H a 10*

LE0Night and ohnostalgia like this.
  11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

tegan: this next song i wrote um, i wrote about my neighbourhood. um i was feeling like writing love songs, but i felt like um maybe i would try to do something different and um then i realized that i'm actually just a one trick pony... and um so i decided that i would create a diversion and i would write about my neighbourhood, but really it was just a metaphor for me. and um everybody, well not everybody, but a lot of the people in my neighbourhood that i was living in at the time were addicted to drugs. and i was addicted to love... and well me.

*audience yells*

tegan: yeah, crack so um... so i decided that i would try to write a song that kind of took on both of those things, those themes. um kinda like a thesis, but to music. okay? i didn't go to university or uni or whatever people call it, college, thank you. uh anyways so that's what this song's about. that's something to think about while you're drinking beer. and while you're holding your cameras.

[​IMG]

#53. The Cure 7.50

HIGH:
    10.00 x 1 @First2Run
    LOW: 5.00 x 1 @eccentricsimply
    MY SCORE: 9.00

ALBUM: Sainthood
    WRITER: Tegan

Oh oh when you say it,
    So so slowly to me,
    Oh oh well I keep going,
    Oh no I ran while knowing,
    No no I know you need it,
    So so I need it too,
    And oh oh I must keep going,
    So so you must too.

This is a straight up pop song so I'm surprised it's bowing out before the Top 50, but what the hell do I know about their discography apparently??? I love how buoyant and bouncy this is, it's such a cute little bop. I must also say that if you don't love that middle 8 then I despair for your taste. This is another one of the cowrites Tegan did with AFI. Basically Sara had disowned the guitar by this point in their music career, so Tegan looked elsewhere (at least that's my very superficial understanding of the situation). For those of you not familiar with Vancouver, Tegan lived (lives?) in Gastown, a very old historical neighbourhood. It's basically right next to Vancouver's notorious Downtown Eastside - also known as Canada's poorest postal code - where mental health and addictions issues are acute. Back then heroin would've been the major drug of choice, but Canada is currently in the grip of a major Fentanyl overdose crisis (British Columbia and the rest of western Canada especially). If you don't know what Fentanyl is pray that you never do (and please don't mess with that shit!!!); for those of us out west it seems like we can't go a day without reading about the latest death. Sorry to get all #heavy on you there but a little Canadian Current Events never hurt you.

Okay, let's get back to the music. @Petty Mayonnaise (8) wants a 2016 rework: "I’d love to hear this with a different production to match the rather breezy quality of the melody. A bop nonetheless, but it could be perfect." I think some of the live versions are different, so I'll try to post a few options. @Slice of Life (7.75) is team production: "I love that they went as rock as possible here. The urgency is contagious. Kudos gorls." @digitalkaiser (6.5) brings up some other band: "This song actually makes me think of some The Cure guitar work, which is funny because I’m not sure if that was intentional as the lyrics imply something completely different. It’s not one of my favorites here, despite that.. (I love The Cure) It features another glorious ending portion that gives this song its .5 scoring." @constantino (8) also loves the outro: "The ‘I've got a cure, I've got the cure for you’ refrain at the end is such a wonderful moment on the album, a standout for me." @Jwentz (6) fell a bit out of love: "Was an early favorite from this album, but as time has gone on I’ve thought of it as a little weightless compared to their normal fare." But that's what makes it shine?????????

12. Slice of Life

Oh I thought we were losing another Heartthrob track because I was tagged. I was already sharpening my knives.

Carry on, then.

Posh Spears likes this.
  13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I wouldn't feel so safe hen.

Slice of Life likes this.
  14. NNOOO I READ THE THREAD BACKWARDS i THOUGHT IT HAD BEEN ELIMINATED HeLP

[​IMG]

15. Slice of Life

OH HELL TO THE NAW. Delete it.

[​IMG]

Jwentz, Ferk and ohnostalgia like this.
  16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I'm only one voter, you all have to start taking responsibility for your decisions. But yes I will confirm one more track from the last two albums is leaving before Top 50.

Slice of Life likes this.
  17. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

I feel like a proper rate villain now.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  18. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

You're going to have some company soon I think. Plus don't count out @send photo just yet. I think @Ferk's rate villainary is basically over at this point in the game though.

Ferk and send photo like this.
  19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Do I need to remind you of your Heartthrob scores?

send photo likes this.
  20. Sainthood is so underrated. God I adore that album. Not too upset about 'The Cure' leaving though. I figured it'd go a lot sooner.

The Con through Love You To Death is such a fucking brilliant run though. Damn.

LE0Night, ohnostalgia and send photo like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.