Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 44 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. WAIT AT THIS TREACHERY. @send photo if you gave my 11 a score less than an 8 I will do this to you. And more. x

[​IMG]

LE0Night, ohnostalgia and send photo like this.
  2. Oh me too. But I just double checked and you're the third lowest Heartthrob scorer so except some scorn. However you're lucky that our soon to emerge new rate villain will probably steal some of your spotlight.

send photo and Ferk like this.
  3. I prefer Love You To Death as well. I know I scored Heartthrob really high but the former is a lot sleeker and stronger I think. It hasn't left my rotation since its release.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  4. Well remember how I made you redo your scores???

send photo likes this.
  5. It's definitely a lot stronger. It also feels much more like a Tegan and Sara album than Heartthrob to me (don't get me wrong, I love Heartthrob but yeah).

Tegan: That was the one complaint - a lot of the diehard Tegan and Sara superfans were fine...but there was definitely a contingent of people saying "oh this feels smoothed over, this feels likes it's been created to appeal to the masses! Where's the depth, where's the edge and the heartbreak and...?"

I think it's unfair, I hear it on Heartthrob - Sara's songs certainly felt very edgy and very dark. I feel like that was there but fine. With Love You To Death we really did try and keep that edge and that vulnerability and that sort of desperation from previous records. In terms of production we tried to approach vocals with the idea of feeling less compressed and less dense. Trying to allow some of the emotions room to move around.

https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/fe...t-us-free-tegan-and-sara-interviewed-by-shura

Posh Spears, Ferk and send photo like this.
  6. In a year's time, maybe I'll join y'all and put Love You to Death as my favourite T&S album but as of today, I just can't really.

I grew up with Heartthrob. It was one of the pop albums that made me want to come back to listening to Western albums again. The reason I abandoned Western pop and, like, jumped to the K-pop ship was because I felt like a lot of the lyrics then were so shallow and the production wasn't even all that either. At least in K-pop, you can count on the production to pop off. But with Heartthrob, not only was the production so thoughtfully made (I still giggle like a schoolgirl whenever I hear another production trick that I haven't noticed before), but the lyrics spoke to me, attacked me with their honesty and just generally made me listen over and over again. Lyrics like "You let me try knowing there was nothing I could do to change you" were like gospel to me. And even today, I still feel that away. After all these years.

Love You to Death is a different kind of beast. It's more on-point, whereas Heartthrob is just adorably all over the place. But I love both albums tremendously and I can't wait for more, really. Bless these Canadian babes.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  7. I thought you were part of the mid to late twenties club @Slice of Life? How much do we really know about you????

send photo and Slice of Life like this.
  8. N N N N Clock me. I don't mean, like, in actual age. I'm really super childish (quelle surprise) and I'm still really growing up.

10. TOO REAL FAM.

Let me edit this out now n n n n. Please keep it a secret. x

11. Found them.

12. No at Downtown leaving.

LE0Night likes this.
  13. [​IMG]

Their mom Sonia is in her fifties. Guess we got lots of good years of hot T&S left (yes I'm being inappropriate with their holiday photo).

14. tegan: i gotta dedicate this one to sara. for the second verse of northshore, in a moment when it all started to fall apart. and i want you not to feel sad or stressed out about it-

sara: i don't.

tegan: don't feel bad-

sara: it's not my fault.

tegan: don't feel sad-

sara: wasn't my fault.

tegan: don't worry about it, don't lose sleep tonight-

sara: i won't.

tegan: don't beat yourself up about it-

sara: and you don't beat yourself up about losing control of your movements and your ability to stay on beat on the chorus.

tegan: i won't. that was really fun.

sara: yeah. and don't feel sad about not exactly getting closer totally right tonight. you were really close. you were pretty close.

tegan: thanks pal.

[​IMG]

#52. I Can't Take It 7.51

HIGH:
    10.00 x 3 @constantino @Petty Mayonnaise @Posh Spears
    LOW: 4.00 x 2 @2014 @digitalkaiser
    MY SCORE: 8.00

ALBUM: So Jealous
    WRITER: Sara

This is another song like I was saying earlier that when Sara wrote “I Bet It Stung”, she wrote several different songs in a series. There was “Under Your Arm” and “Get It While You Can”, and “I Can’t Take It” was right at the end. So that’s another song that got on that was from that series of songs she wrote. When we were doing interviews for our bio, I described hearing that song for the first time to be like Sara was standing on my chest. I just felt really sad, and that was having heard all the other songs in order leading up to that one. I know that when Sara was writing these songs it was during the end of her relationship and it was someone she’d been friends with for almost ten years and been with for four years. It was just the psyche of it, when you’ve known someone for half your life, literally, and then have to leave them, and not necessarily because you want to but just because it’s the right thing to do, and it’s just not healthy and you’re not good anymore, there’s no growth and you have to have growth. And when I hear that song, the idea of that all happening just makes me sick to my stomach a little bit. But it’s in an enjoyable way. - Tegan

JESUS CHRIST SARA CHILL OUT ALREADY. Our poor hearts can't take this despair. I Can't Take It is a gorgeous little ballad with so many production subtleties if you're willing to spend the time. The best thing about Tegan and Sara songs is how much they grow and reveal themselves over time; so many of my favourites from them I didn't really get until like the fiftieth play. But when I do I'm just so blown away. That's why I wanted people to spend weeks with their songs. But I know some of you didn't and I'm sure you didn't get the full discography experience and I am sad!!! On a different note, is it just me or does the opening sound like Sara's singing in Simlish? Just me...

@Remorque (8.5) perfectly demonstrates the T&S effect: "I don’t know why, but this initially did absolutely nothing for me. Cut to repeated listens with this closing off the album and suddenly I got all sorts of feels after listening to it. There’s just so much darkness underneath the surface here and it makes for some kind of uncomfortable listening, but at the same time you can’t help but feel for the girls…" Let's turn it to @digitalkaiser (4) being heartless: "The vocals in this annoy me just a bit, but it’s a very pretty song. It’s a bit boring to me. I don’t really dislike very many songs on this album as I tend to play it from start to finish but I wouldn’t listen to this song on its own." EXCUSE YOU. Believe it or not this is a compliment from @eccentricsimply (6): "Yas for this simplicity." She gave out like three tens in the entire rate, I checked (but more in the 1D rate *shots fired*). Oh look the word police have arrived! @Slice of Life (9.25): "For a 4 minute song, this is only made up by 15 words (I counted it; don't judge me). I'm impressed. It's rather too barebones for me to 10 it though. I have to admit the production is arresting." Sara is a woman of few words. Let's move on to @Sprockrooster (9): "I feel like this song needs a punch, but aside from that majestic." I think the ending is a punch, but you gave this a high score so Feliz Navidad. @Posh Spears (10) is impressed: " Excellent way to end off the album." No kidding. Have a moment of @send photo (9) actually stanning something in this rate: "I tuned right into this. It’s a really gorgeous, slow burning song. The lyrics are simple yet effective." I'm shook. Oh wait, I found the commentary from his original scores: "I was zoned out for most of this album (so so sorry)." I'm sorry that you have the attention span of a gnat! That's better.

Okay let's turn it over to the emotions. @Ferk (9): "A simple song but I went through a rough period around 19 and this was always one of the songs I'd return to over and over again. It would soothe me then, and it still does today." I could definitely listen to this one for hours. @Petty Mayonnaise (10) channels Sara: "*gay tears*" while @constantino (10) makes me want to shed some gay tears of my own: "We’ve all been there right? Rock bottom. It’s a pretty lonely and frightening place, but there’s always that comfort knowing artists not only experience it too, but are also able to use it to create stunning songs like this. What a gift this song is."

15. PS. If you would like to watch the incident from the banter here you go! I'm mostly posting it cause I want an excuse to show you what a moment it is to hear Where Does The Good Go live in concert. So if you fucked your score up for that one I hope you feel guilty as that is one of my Top 10 Tegan & Sara Songs ever.

16. Oh great, there's a third one we have to tell apart now?

ohnostalgia likes this.
  17. I hope you enjoy your guilt present.

Watch me post a photo of Sonia one day and @send photo and @Slice of Life start thirsting over Sara.

18. @ohnostalgia gives me a Feliz Navidad. My life is complete. Have a merry christmas yourself too!

19. Should've been the highest ranked song from So Jealous that isn't Where Does the Good Go but what do I know I guess!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  20. i don't want this rate to end it's so cozy and everyone's so friendly and nice

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.