Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 49 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Sorry about it.

constantino likes this.
  2. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

I feel like your anger isn't gonna translate very well because of the choice of color, dear. Hehe.

send photo and ohnostalgia like this.
  3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

You don't seem very sorry.
    But it fit the #aesthetic of the cover art.

Slice of Life and send photo like this.
    digitalkaiser, Jwentz and ohnostalgia like this.
  5. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

#boybye

6. Sentimental Tune into Someday (RIP, done so wrong, etc.) is great. They totally feel like sister songs. It's like the two people who wrote them are twins or something.

7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Trying to get my attention? Self sabotaging?

[​IMG]

8. By the way, I'm addicted to On Directing and Red Belt lately. They're my highest Sainthood scores left, but I should've rated them both even higher. That album was a bit of a chore to get through at the time teebs but like the rest of their earlier stuff it's totally grown on me.

@ohnostalgia ha impact

ohnostalgia likes this.
  9. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

On Directing is brilliant and my favourite song on Sainthood!!!!

My only goal with this rate is to spread the gospel of Tegan and Sara. I figure if I could get people to like some One Direction songs, this should be a piece of cake.

10. I can seriously say I wasn't big on either group before your rates but you totally changed that for both. Queen.

11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Extra goals achieved.

12. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

TRIGGERING INTENSIFIES.

Jwentz likes this.
  14. Even as a Sainthood stan I think Sentimental Tune is a bit middling.

15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

sara: um so when we were in our 8-11 year old stage, it was 1988 i guess? and um 1988-1991, uh and my favourite thing in the world was a.m. radio. some of you may not even know what a radio is, it's sort of like twitter but where music gets played and it only happens in places that are inconvenient like in your parents' living room or in a car. google it on your cellphone. but anyways, so i really liked am radio and my favourite thing um on am radio was this station that played just motown, like all the time. the thing that was really amazing was that i was an eight year old kid and my favourite band, my favourite music at eight years old was um, well it was this one cassette tape that i had of michael jackson and i had another tape that was new kids on the block and then i had a mixtape, i had a mixtape that my stepdad made me and it had stuff like, it had like phil collins on it and then it had like bruce springsteen and u2. anyways i was, we were really, we listened to a lot of different music in my family, like there was no such thing as like um the internet. you couldn't feel shame for liking what you liked because the only people who would shame you was like the cat or like your neighbour or something. and so anyways i feel like music was a really special thing back then because you could just like what you like. and i was eight and i had like no idea that motown, like the music i was listening to was old, i just thought it was a station that played music like the new kids on the block or whatever, i just thought it was relevant, current, current music, contemporary music.

anyways so, i never really, that didn't stick with me and i became like kinda a beggar 90s teenager who listened to a lot of punk rock and like um indie rock and stuff, but um recently i decided that i really like my dream was that i wish i was just like an r&b singer. *shrugs* i don't know, it seems more-

tegan: you want to be rihanna.

sara: yeah like i just started listening to a lot of- like i really like alicia keys and i really like rihanna and i like ashanti. and i just decided that- listen, i like tegan and i like this band and i'm not quitting it, but i just decided that it was a mistake, it was a mistake to pick this. i regret it. like people always say "do you regret calling your band tegan and sara?" or "do you regret wearing that poofy jacket on stage with that yellow poofy hair in 1999?" and i'm like no, but what i regret is being in an indie rock band and not being an r&b singer. and i - this is going on way too long, i'm going to stop soon - but i just, part of why i also would like to be an r&b singer is because i feel like a lot of the girls that are r&b singers that i really respect are different than me. like they have-

tegan: i thought you were going to say closeted.

sara: no!

tegan: "i feel like if i was in r&b, i could pick up other r&b singers"

sara: no no no no. they're just- they're very feminine, they're very sexual and they're very confident-

tegan: do you feel tegan & sara is stifling your sexual side?

sara: *laughs*

tegan: you pick your outfit, my friend.

sara: but i just feel like-

tegan: you wanna put a boob tube on and some lycra, fucking power to you. i'll put the band in it too, i'm totally fine with that. let's change direction.

sara: i just feel like it would be really hard for me to wear- like okay just imagine any number of outfits from rihanna or like alicia keys video and then imagine me singing sentimental tune.

*crowd cheers*

sara: so what are you saying?

tegan: that's right, encourage her! next time we come here.

sara: i always thought that my androgyny was adorable, but apparently it's not. apparently you people want me to sex it up. which is why i'm going to play the next song with all the buttons on my shirt done up.

[​IMG]

#44. Body Work (feat. Morgan Page) 7.70

HIGH: 10.00 x 4 @2014 @Ferk @LA Hallucinations @send photo
    LOW: 5.00 x 2 @Jwentz @Sprockrooster
    MY SCORE: 8.50

ALBUM: NA
    WRITER: Sara

That banter was a lot longer than I expected so let me keep this cute. Sara didn't go full on R&B (thank god we avoided that mess), but she did write a song about sexy times called Body Work. I always knew this would do well, but it's outlasted a few too many T&S classics for me to be upset about it leaving. My favourite part of the song is when they sing "I get shy." Of course this has an iconic video that everybody should watch. I suspect the video earned Body Work some goodwill points. Case in point @Petty Mayonnaise (6): "The song’s not anything to write home about, but the video is really cute." And @digitalkaiser (7): "To me, this is the less superior dance song that they have featured on. (see Feel it in my bones) I’m not a huge morgan page fan, but this song does its think and the girls sell the shit out of it. I think I also think they look absolutely stunning in the video. Speaking of, the video is hilarious because they are sitting and singing as they traditionally do in a pair as homosexuals/straights dance around them. Queens of sitting in pairs and not dancing." And @eccentricsimply (7): "That music video is so relatable. Everybody there working out and the two of them folding towels. Relatable queens as per usual." And @send photo (10) -don't worry I checked his commentary for nastiness ahead of time -"Ah, the video reminds me of all the damn towels I folded at the bathhouse. Don’t worry that’s the only bathhouse commentary I have." Thank god since I'm still not over what you did to Blow in the Beyonce rate.

@Ferk (10) says: "Still such a bop." But was it a bop enough to beat Knife Going In? @constantino (8) pops out a fairly high compliment: "Wait at this Robyn-esque melancholic dance bop. I am 100% here for more of this." Were Heartthrob and Love You To Death not enough for you? @Posh Spears (8) brings up the other one I already forgot: "Oh yes! This is “Feel It In My Bones” done right. Woohoo!" Cool story. @First2Run (8.5) needs to listen to Sara and just like what they like (except in my rate where you like what @ohnostalgia likes): "I feel like I should be slightly embarrassed for loving this – I can only imagine getting lost in this song in a club (as if I go to clubs). A little too long." Last word to @Slice of Life (6) who knows what's what: "It's fine but nowhere near T&S's best." Yeah I was clearly too nice slash under the influence of cute bows. I'm only so strong.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Also @SaraQuin your androgyny is hot and a huge part of why I love you.

17. Slice of Life

WORD. They were truly looking snatched here.

18. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

The live version I posted is interesting.

send photo and Slice of Life like this.
  19. Slice of Life

In before you drag my ass for not listening to it.

I'll listen to it after finishing all these clothes that I'm handsewing. Kii.

20. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Okay Martha Stewart.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.