Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. I am unsure if I'll be able to participate. I haven't actually listened to any of their albums other than Heartthrob and Love You to Death. I am already up to my neck with keeping up with all the music getting released aswell as familiarising myself with Sugababes' music for their rate.

But if I find any spare time, I'll take part xx.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    ohnostalgia likes this.
  2. I'm gonna do my scores soon, I promise! I'm just finishing up my scores and commentary for the Sugababes rate, but I'm very familiar with Tegan and Sara's entire discography having been a fan for 14-ish years so it shouldn't take me more than a day or two to get them done?

Really hoping people are nice to the older albums, which are just as good...but I have a feeling the top 20 will be mostly Heartthrob and LYTD tracks. Some of the singles like Walking With A Ghost, Back In Your Head, Call it Off or Alligator may sneak their way in though.

I can't imagine I'll be giving any of their songs (besides maybe 3 or 4) a score lower than 7, teebs.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  3. I think we have some fans of their older albums so I'm hopeful that it won't be a complete runaway for Heartthrob (which is probably not even my fave of theirs but it is very close).

stopthestatic likes this.
  4. I've been obsessed with Boyfriend lately. I'm still planning on participating but because there's only about two weeks left and so much unknown material I fear that my scores would be rushed!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  5. I'm allowed to give a week extension if I can prove it will actually bring in more voters. I'm open to using it if people want. Just let me know.

Posh Spears likes this.
  6. Good to know, I'll do my best to make the 30th though!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  7. [​IMG]
    Listening to The Con (2007) can be a deeply unsettling experience. This is Tegan & Sara on the edge, channeling a year's worth of relationships, breakups, and grief into their most emotional record yet. Anxiety permeates the album, twisting from hard edged rock to quiet sorrow to deceptively upbeat piano bops. While So Jealous moved Tegan & Sara outside of their well worn folk roots, The Con welcomes them back, marrying these references in breathtaking new ways. Chris Walla from Death Cab for Cutie serves as co-producer and I can't help but think of Plans. Perhaps the single most defining album of my late teens, Plans embodied melancholia in a way only the very best music can. The Con achieves a similar emotional resonance, shaking me to the core. Tegan "felt like [she] was living a bit of a con the entire year. Projecting two very distinct images- one of a very strong independent, newly single person and the other of a dramatic, emotional needy co-dependent musician." I've also lived The Con- seemingly straight but actually bi, steady but falling apart, cold but longing for connection. This album lives in the space between, ever patient, waiting to take you down to the deep dark woods of your mind.

Previous: So Jealous / If It Was You / This Business of Art / Under Feet Like Ours

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    LE0Night, constantino, Jwentz and 6 others like this.
  8. Also posting this Forest Fone chat with their mom cause it's cute.

9. If anyone is thinking about doing this but is apprehensive because they haven't listened to any of their stuff before - I urge you to it. I'd never heard any of their songs before but I've been getting to know them over the past few weeks and I'm in love, their music is breathtaking. I can't recommend them enough. What a gem.

10. I take it you enjoyed your first Sainthood listen?

LA Hallucinations likes this.
  11. [​IMG]

LE0Night and ohnostalgia like this.
  12. I will have my scores in to you by next week, I promise. I'm mostly just sitting on them I just need to clean them up!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  13. Too late for me to join? I credit So Jealous and The Con for being seminal works during my coming out phase..."I felt you in my legs before I even met you...". I'm so new to the rates though...

ohnostalgia likes this.
  14. Never too late!!! Send me a PM when you're finished your scores. There's a chance the deadline might get extended to November 8th if needed.

Also writeup service should resume soon. I just needed a few days with Joanne.

15. Listening to The Con tonight is bringing back a lot of high school emotions, let me pour some wine and weep a bit.

digitalkaiser and ohnostalgia like this.
  16. @Ferk earns my undying love for being the first voter. The rest of you slackers better follow through.

Slice of Life, send photo and Ferk like this.
  17. Oh my god really??

Y'all. Come on now.

ohnostalgia and send photo like this.
  18. Ha. Touché.

ohnostalgia and send photo like this.
  19. [​IMG]
    Sainthood (2009) is Tegan & Sara's most contentious and chronically undervalued work. It's also one of their most fascinating. When I listen to Sainthood I hear the sound of two talented women exploring variations on a soundscape. Coming from the world of punk rock we have Tegan crafting harder edged synthy pop rock like Northshore, Hell, and Don't Rush. Meanwhile Sara serves up poppy gems like Alligator, Sentimental Tune, and On Directing. But at the same time we have a paradox: this is the first album where Tegan & Sara cowrote songs together in the same room (although just one, Paperback Head, made the final cut). In a recent interview Sara spoke candidly about the time between The Con and Sainthood, which helped me develop a deeper understanding of this album. Sainthood is the sound of tentative reconciliation, documenting a time where two sisters fought to work their way back to each other:

“That was rock bottom. That was screaming, fighting, pushing, punching: Band’s done. I feel ashamed of how badly Tegan and I treated each other. We were totally without the tools to get through what was happening to us.”“I remember my therapist and people around me being like, ‘Has it ever occurred to you that you’re just tired? That you need a break for a minute?’ Like, Wow, how did we get so far apart from each other? I remember in between The Con and Sainthood really deciding that my relationship with Tegan as a sister was far more important than the one in a band.”

I'd be remiss if I didn't also mention the official themes, if only because Tegan so beautifully articulated them. Sainthood's title is borrowed from Leonard Cohen's Come So Far So Beauty (I practiced all my sainthood I gave to one and all / but the rumors of my virtue they moved her not at all). "[It] sort of sums up that intention of when you meet somebody, that idea of practicing being good, practicing being devoted, toeing that line, it’s such a romantic idea, to be perfect and to be devoted... There’s something about when you’re falling in love and you’re working towards something and you’re wanting someone so badly and there’s this chance that you will be rewarded, but there’s also this chance that it will go unnoticed, and there’s something really crazy about that.

Previous: The Con / So Jealous / If It Was You / This Business of Art / Under Feet Like Ours

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    LE0Night, constantino, Jwentz and 6 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.