Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 51 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. I had this in my draft and I was going to respond with "seriously nothing can surprise me at this point" yesterday before I got distracted and forgot to but hnhnnohmygod you joyless motherfuckers.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  2. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

AHHHHHH.

okay I got too caught up with my best of 2016 post to cut the tragic loss, so the new year it shall be.

4. Slice of Life

HAPPY NEW YEAR! GET FESTIVE!!!

[​IMG]

send photo, ohnostalgia and LE0Night like this.
  5. Slice of Life

So instead of doing my K-pop charts and stuff, I decided to re-read some of the stuff posted here and that interview they did with Shura and their love for pop music is an amazing read. I thank the Lord everyday that they chose pop music as their choice genre because they are just perfect for it.

Also I need them to collaborate with Shura.

send photo, ohnostalgia and LE0Night like this.
  6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

sara: lemme just say to this wonderful, wonderfully excited section here .. um based on facial expressions, here's what i think. when i was nineteen um, no when i was younger than nineteen, i used to listen to a lot of punk rock and i used to go to concerts and i used to um throw myself around and usually have my hair ripped out 'cause i had long banger hair. and *laughs* ... anyways, that part makes me upset, but here's the thing um, we are tegan and sara and sometimes i know you really get excited so i wanted to offer a few suggestions in light of some of the facial expressions. maybe pushing each other isn't going to work for the people around you, so i'm going to give a demonstration of things that you can do to expel energy but not push. ready?

*gathers tegan and band in middle of stage*

sara: okay! okay, wait. we're you, okay?

*demonstrate clapping and dancing*

*tegan whistles*

*sara dances like sara*

sara: okay, here's what- there's some people who look so horrified at us. okay, now here's an example of maybe what is not good behaviour. just because of the other people. okay? all right, okay.

*mass shoving match*

tegan: i think what sara's saying is have fun, but don't hurt your neighbour. we'll see how that works out. i think potentially we just made the people around them like sad 'cause now they're like they're going to keep doing it.

sara: i'll dance with you. if you dance nicely i might dance with you.

[​IMG]

#41. Nineteen 7.78

HIGH:
    10.00 x 2 @Jwentz @ohnostalgia
    LOW: 4.00 x 1 @Sprockrooster 5.50 x 2 @eccentricsimply @LE0Night

ALBUM: The Con
    WRITER: Tegan

"I think what sara's saying is have fun,
    but don't hurt your neighbour"

I was saying, at 19 I had gotten out of a five-year relationship, and instead of writing about that relationship, I jumped into a new relationship. I was amazed and terrified and saddened, but also excited and totally mystified at how it was possible at 26 I was feeling the same things I was feeling at 19. How is it possible that I haven’t learned something, that I’m back in the same place suffering and tormented? - Tegan

Really?????.... you assholes. Probably one of their most well known songs, one that thousands of fans have passionately sung along to live, one of their staple tracks, is out before the Top Forty. Yes, you did that. You really did that. I am amazed at the incompetence in this rate and I am actually ashamed at this result. Recently Tegan & Sara were asked to pick their ten best songs. Tegan included Nineteen:

At that point, Sara had written “Walking With a Ghost,” and that had done really well for us. But this was probably the first song that I wrote that had a connection with the audience, which I hadn’t yet had a song accomplish. It was sort of obvious right from the beginning that it was gonna be everybody’s sad, weepy breakup song. Even when I wrote it, I remember calling Sara and her girlfriend in the middle of the night in Montreal and telling them to wake up and go listen, and I was like, “I think I wrote something really sad, accidentally.” It was very cathartic, which throughout the early part of our career, I had rejected that word — like when people would be like, “Do you find writing cathartic? It’s like reading out of our diary” — because I thought it was really sexist. But that was the moment where I was like, no, no, this really is cathartic to sing this, to scream on stage every night, and watch everyone else scream along. When I say exactly how I feel, it really seems to connect. It still feels the same performing it now, though obviously, we’ve updated it. Our musical director suggested doing it on piano, and it really transports me back to the first few times we played it live. It feels very emotional — lots of tears in the front row. I have to kind of not look because it makes me very sensitive.

Nineteen is honestly an integral experience to any Tegan & Sara concert, I can testify from personal experience. There's something so emotional and lovely about 19, and then you hit that chorus where you can just scream out: I was nineteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen. Caaaaaaaaaaalllllllll meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. And if you can't appreciate that then I don't know what to say. Except that you have hurt your fellow rate neighbours. You hurt them real bad.

This is really a cautionary tale in giving songs you enjoy the full marks they deserve, because other people are not so forgiving. Let's start with a fitting gif reaction from @Petty Mayonnaise (9) for this whole goddamn fiasco:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I concur. @digitalkaiser (9) understands: "I adore this song due to the subject matter. I remember having this on repeat quite a bit when I was 19, and felt so cool doing it. Production is ace and the vocal delivery is unique and emotional, just the way I like it. I remember cruising down the road in my friends car singing “I WAS NIIIINEEETEEEEEEN CALLLLLIN MEEEEEE” with the windows rolled down in the sunshine. Good memories. My independence was one of the only things I was proud of at that time, the rest of my life was a mess." I really wish you'd thrown it a 10 though wah. @constantino (8) is ready to step into age 19 (god I feel old): "Now, I’m a summer baby but since a lot of my friends are either 19 or are about to turn 19, lemme claim this one. Give me that raw passion I love, queens!" I don't know what to do with this commentary except hope she'll revisit this now that she's feeling better. @eccentricsimply (5.5): "It makes me extremely happy listening to a song that I know was written by a woman about a woman. Even if I'm not particularly interested in this one, it's an amazing feeling." Meanwhile @Sprockrooster (4) can just fuck off: "What a slogging all over the place mess." @Slice of Life (9.5) is the best new Tegan & Sara stan in this rate: "Man, I wish to never experience this type of heartbreak. I'll probably go nuts. And I won't be able to talk about it as beautifully as T&S do." THANK YOU. I'm so so so so so so so so so so sorry @Jwentz (10): "GAAAAAAAHHHHHHH." Let's go away and leave the rest of them behind.

Because this is such an integral Tegan & Sara song I'm going to post more than 5 performances so stay tuned for a second mini post.

7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

NINETEEN PERFORMANCES CONT.

8. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

send photo and ohnostalgia like this.
  9. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

TOP 40

[​IMG]

under feet like ours
    superstar*

this business of art
    my number
    superstar*

if it was you
    living room

so jealous
    i bet it stung
    where does the good go
    walking with a ghost
    so jealous

the con
    relief next to me
    the con
    are you ten years ago
    back in your head
    dark come soon
    call it off

sainthood
    arrow
    hell
    on directing
    red belt
    alligator
    the ocean

heartthrob
    closer
    goodbye, goodbye
    i was a fool
    i'm not your hero
    drove me wild
    i couldn't be your friend
    love they say
    now i'm all messed up
    shock to your system

love you to death
    that girl
    faint of heart
    boyfriend
    dying to know
    stop desire
    white knuckles
    100x
    bwu
    u-turn
    hang on to the night

extras
    don't find another love
    shudder to think

you all were being a little extra about this album distribution. and why are there still extras in?​

send photo, Jwentz, Lander and 3 others like this.
  10. Another day another sl*y for Love You To Death. I'm surprised it's managed to get by without any cuts so far although I know they're coming.

11. Slice of Life

Don't you dare come for Don't Find Another Love. I'm genuinely happy that it is still in competition.

Watch it get eliminated next.

LE0Night likes this.
  12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I know you just got all sassy in the Big Girls rate, but remember who's lost many beloved 10s already??? MOI. I'll come for whatever song I want to, LOVE THEY SAY.

Slice of Life likes this.
  13. Slice of Life

N N N N, I'd hate to be in your shoes, that's for sure.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Honestly most of you would probably hate Love They Say if it had instrumentation from the other records. Sorry Tegan, I love you, but that is not Top 40 material.

15. [​IMG]

16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

[​IMG]

I never want Tegan to find this rate.

17. I like to think they've been reading it the whole time and everytime either of them lose a song they get a wedgie or have to take a shot or something.

poor Sara in the early eliminations if so

send photo and Slice of Life like this.
  18. 19?!

Out so soon!
    [​IMG]

ohnostalgia likes this.
  19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

sara: thank you for being so kind. thank you so much.

audience: thank you for being beautiful!!!

sara: *awkwardly backs away from mic*

tegan: sara's so shy.

sara: i'm not.

tegan: she is. she's very shy.

audience: sara's my favourite!

tegan: sara's your favourite? well you know she's a lot of people's favourites. she's very shy. she's sweet.

sara: *shakes head*

audience: you're mine tegan!

tegan: oh it's not a competition. in fact the more you love sara, the harder i'll work so the better i'll perform. and the more you love me, the harder sara will work and the better she will perform. so it's at your advantage, or it's in your advantage- to your advantage - excuse me- to treat us like we are enemies because then it brings out the best in both of us. so this next song is a sara song, it's a good one. it's off the new record- she wrote it about some movie where julianne moore is naked. that's this one?

sara: no.

tegan: that was a different one?

sara: it never happened.

tegan: i merged two stories together.

sara: i did see this, i did call this song after a david mamet movie and uh-

tegan: which ... sorry to interrupt. which was on tv every night.

sara: hmm.

tegan: we saw it. well we didn't watch it, but we just were like oh that's after sara's song and we were like flip.

sara: ummm.

tegan: we didn't actually get the channel.

sara: fair enough. fair enough. it's good, it's good. i like it because um, well when tegan and i were growing up we were in karate and the film - that's not at all why i liked it, i don't know. it has a martial arts theme. that's- i was in a completely different- i mean

tegan: oh god, i never even though about it in terms of belts in karate.

sara: have you seen the film?

tegan: no.

sara: you don't care about what inspires me or what's interesting to me. no one does.

tegan: i just thought you were being clever, that you "wrote it about a movie." i just thought you wrote it about a girl.

sara: i did, but it was inspired by a film that the girl made me see.

tegan: about karate?

sara: i don't - listen. no. no.

tegan: that's- that really hurts the song for me.

sara: no no, the film was about deception and it involves-

tegan: better.

sara: the storyline involves a um martial arts instructor and um- have any of you seen this film? okay, so it wasn't popular in ottawa. um anyways, that's not, it's less, it's not really about.. like i didn't write this song about that film, i just-

tegan: sara's one of the producers on the film.

sara: no. i wish. i just, i saw it, i saw this movie and then i, um in that same couple of day period like after i had seen it i went um, i was writing this song and i sorta went back into my mind for some inspiration from that movie-

tegan: now on the section on the bridge i'm going to think about you tying your karate belt on your head. so did you want to fight the person you liked?

sara: well... sometimes people call it that. *laughs*

crowd: cheers and whistles

sara: this wasn't really how i imagined this story unfolding. i was just looking for a way to slow the show down a little bit 'cause i was getting kinda tired after trying to create a mood. and once a mood has been created it's safe to sometimes break up that momentum with an anecdote that's funny or adorable for the entire audience. and although this wasn't what i imagined, it seems to have done the trick and i think we should move on.

[​IMG]

#40. Red Belt 7.79

HIGH: 10.00 x 2 @digitalkaiser @Ferk
    LOW: 5.50 x 1 @Petty Mayonnaise
    MY SCORE: 8.50

ALBUM: Sainthood
    WRITER: Sara

Slow it down, you have a tendency to rush back into your past.
    Slow it down, you transfer all your weight and disappear.
    You kneel to condition all the feelings that you feel.

I've got a red belt around my mind.
    My hands are tied up around these words.
    I wish you'd call but I know that you're out tonight.
    My ears fill with the sound of you kneeling.
    My ears fill with the sound of descent.
    My ears fill with the sound of you arching.

Hmmm I wonder what this song is about?????? Tegan Rain Quin, you knew exactly what you were doing. I'm not going to dwell too much on that though, because I'm already too far gone down the rabbit hole for these girls and I don't need that on my mind. Hjalp. Anyways. Musically, I think this is a great example of them bridging into Heartthrob. Red Belt honestly wouldn't sound out of place on that album, which I suppose is why you heffers voted it this far. My favourite part is the bridge - it's sublime. But what did the esteemed voters of this tragic rate think? Because no way in hell is this song better than Nineteen.

Not @digitalkaiser (10) exposing gaps in my Gaga knowledge because I have no idea what he's going on about: "With a name like Red Belt who would think this would be one of my favorite songs on this album?? Gaga’s song naming ha impact!!1 The pacing of this song is PERFECT. The ping plong production is smooth, and the lyrics and sparse portions of the song really give you that ‘sing along’ sort of vibe when the lyrics kick in. I almost wish it was just a BIT longer, which holds the score back a bit." Does this mean it was going to be your eleven at one point? Well I suppose you didn't join the tragic club of two yet. @constantino (8) is stanning the outro: "It’s the little flourishes in the production towards the end that really elevate this for me." Agree. Oh.... @Jwentz (9) makes this not dirty: "This song is basically a mantra to step yourself from assuming and getting anxious, I’ve always found it very relatable." I guess one could go with that. @eccentricsimply (7.5) was not prepared for the genre rollercoaster she undertook: "I'm still trying to get over the sudden shift into something very different from the album before this." @Slice of Life (6.5) is giving me must find something nice to say so I don't get dragged teas: "I appreciate the more prominent guitar work... yeah, I appreciate that one best. Again, not too shabby a song." Guys, I'm honestly not that scary. I promise. I'm giving the last word to @Ferk (10) who returns with some more emotional commentary to kill us all: "Another song from this album that really hit me in the first few months of my relationship. He was unfaithful...always was and I knew but love will cause you to make all sorts of excuses....to rationalize things you normally would never accept. "I wish you'd call but I know that you're out tonight...""

BONUS KARATE SARA DEMONSTRATING ON TEGAN

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    LE0Night, constantino, Ferk and 5 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.