Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 54 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I didn't say third best.

2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Remember how The Ocean didn't even make the Top 3 on Sainthood.

I don't take public T&S shaming lightly.

send photo likes this.
  3. I honestly can't Viola Davis my way outta this rate fast enough.

digitalkaiser and send photo like this.
  4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

On Directing and Alligator have always been the two best songs on Sainthood. I wouldn't pick Hell or Arrow as third and fourth best personally... but I'd pick them over The Ocean.

send photo, Posh Spears and Ferk like this.
  5. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Don't worry I will write an obituary for Under Feet Like Ours... I just haven't 100% decided what I want to include in the post for stats.

Also the second elimination is postponed for the health of certain rate participants.

send photo and Slice of Life like this.
  6. 1. The Ocean
    2. Hell
    3. On Directing

And that's sincerely @Jwentz

digitalkaiser and send photo like this.
  7. You know I'm far along in my metamorphosis into a Tegan and Sara stan when I try to make a "top 3 from Sainthood" list and can't even narrow them down.

8. I can't believe the number of high scores I have lost in the last handful of eliminations. Disaster! I guess as long as Love You To Death slaughters I shan't complain about much. Really no idea what song I'd even choose to win this though.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  9. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Really good interview talking about their career as a whole.

10. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

I just *finally* realized that I have an unhealthy obsession with their jaws. Sometimes I can't focus on what they're saying because I just look at those sharp little things.

ALSO EXTREME COUPONING S L A Y!!!

11. [​IMG]
    ohgodohgodwhatisitwhatisiwhatisitohgod

12. Also, for someone who's still suffering frostbite from the general LY2D reception I seriously expected about 80% of it to be callously murdered by now, honestly, I'm surprised.

edit: ....did i just jinx it, i just jinxed it didn't i

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    ohnostalgia and Slice of Life like this.
  13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

sara: i wrote this next song actually when i first moved to montreal. it was eight years ago, it was one of the first songs that i wrote and i wrote it after i was in mdg and i found outside of the-

*cheers*

sara: represent. *laughs* um i was outside i think it's like, i don't know if it's a salvation army or some sort of second hand like goodwill on sherbrooke, but i found in the middle of winter- it must've been still like dead of winter - i found um i found a little old air organ. it was like plastic and it was on the sidewalk in the snow bank outside of the place where you drop off clothes and old telephones and microwaves or whatever people drop off. but um i thought that the organ looked really cool and i thought that i could, well i couldn't fix it 'cause i'm weak, but i thought i could find someone to help me-

tegan: did you have someone to help you carry it?

sara: no i could carry it, it was very small, just a little-

tegan: it's in my living room.

sara: yeah. it wasn't big enough that i thought i couldn't carry it so i carried it back to where i was staying and then um my very handy um caregiver girlfriend fixed it for me. and then um i wrote this song and it was a song that if someone... okay like the reverse.... if someone brought me an organ and then i fixed it and they wrote this song about me with that organ i would break the fucking organ again. and i would be like what's wrong with you, you crazy lunatic? i will stab you with the shards of this plastic organ if you try to break and enter into my apartment again. but um.... i'm just kidding, they were super cool and it was fine. she just ... she was very gentle and sweet and kind. and when i would sing crazy um jealous songs of her i think that we were still young enough that she thought that was romantic- sort of when you buy someone flowers. and now as a grownup i think that i would be afraid to write this kind of song, but um this one- she's here tonight so i'm going to dedicate it to um her and all the people in the audience who've had somebody write a crazy lunatic jealousy song about them.

[​IMG]

34. So Jealous 7.92

HIGH:
    10.00 x @Jwentz @Petty Mayonnaise @Remorque
    LOW: 3.00 x 1 @ethansiafbjork
    MY SCORE: 9.50

ALBUM: So Jealous
    WRITER: Sara

I don't want to be part of the problem
    I try so hard to get roughed up
    fists on up, it looks that easy
    it looks that way to me

but then there's you telling me I can
    then there's you screaming say something
    i want the ocean right now

I get so jealous that I can't even work
    there I am in the morning
    I don't like what I see
    I don't know how it's become such a problem

keep you up all night if I try to remain calm
    how can they ask why I feel so angry
    do you see my problem if I never explain it
    but then there's you asking me how long
    say something, it's taken me so long

Somebody buy Emy an "I fixed a plastic air organ for my girlfriend and all I got was this crazy lunatic jealousy song" t-shirt. This is obviously a travesty of a result. So Jealous should've lasted much longer in this rate. The instrumentation here is gorgeous: I've always been partial to the organ (maybe it's my church going youth), but the organ coupled with the synths and acoustic guitar strumming is a lot to handle. Emotionally. The verses are so heavy, dark, and menacing. And then that propulsive triumph of a chorus kills me dead. Honestly it reminds me of a thunderstorm this song. To the people who hated on this..... get taste.

I wrote about being really jealous, I’m talking intense jealousy, jealousy that I had never felt before. The thing that I loved about the chorus in that song is that ‘I can’t even work’ it’s like I’m exasperated with myself. I was like disabled by it. I was jealous of what I didn’t have, what I used to have, what I wanted to have, and at that particular time I was sort of half-dating someone who was in a relationship, so it was an affair. It was a weird triangle of people and then my ex-girlfriend started dating this guy and then I felt [worse], and then he felt jealous, and it was just like ‘fuck!’ and I was just consumed. - Sara

I love that song and I love that idea that she’s writing about, missing the West and missing home and being jealous - I think that’s obviously an emotion every single person deals with and I think it’s a really good universal theme for our band and our record and I thought it was great. -
    Tegan

Let's start with some positivity all up in this rate: “I GET SO JEEEEALLLOUS! THAT I CAAN’T EVEN WORK!” this song is so good. I love those wobbly synths with the slower calculated vocals (I am a sucker, I will say this word about 10000000 times during this rate) and then the explosive dancey chorus comes out of nowhere and is such a sublime combination. Did you try the tambourine? I thought the tambourine was lovely!" LOVE A TAMBOURINE. I knew @constantino (9) would Get It: "C’mon production! The intensity of the guitar ~moment~ is life-giving, as is the vocalization." Angry Sara is a great Sara. Speaking of angry... what the fuck @eccentricsimply (5): "Third song in a row that there's something more to it that makes it interesting to listen to. The sudden shift into a complete different melody is fun when it's well done like this." That's worth a miserly five??? K. Meanwhile @First2Run (7) gets it All Wrong: "This song is a bit all over the place but it’s cute. Feels like a strange song to represent the whole album." It's a perfect representation of the whole album???? @send photo (7.5) tries to get cute: "I don’t suffer from jealousy." What a completely original response! Back to the good people, here's @Slice of Life (8.75): "The chorus feels like it belongs to another song but I like the way it's surprisingly used here. Also, this sounds rather spooky." @Petty Mayonnaise (10) calls it: "Fucking lush." I'm sobbing from all the lushness. I had to give poor @Jwentz (10) a break after the dramatics of yesterday: "The plodding synths under Sara’s pained vocals over the verses really sell this to me." You're welcome. Last word to @Remorque (10): "There’s just so much darkness lying underneath the surface here that sometimes I’m taken aback by that chorus. It sounds simple, but it really isn’t… We’ve all been victim to our inner demons and this is something the girls demonstrate so right here…"

@Posh Spears (6) @2014 (7) @LE0Night (7) @First2Run (7) explain yourselves.

14. Sorry.

Hey, almost up to 8.0 averages!

Slice of Life likes this.
  15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Can't wait for tomorrow when you all punch out of one of my faves with that last 7 average. Fuck you all.

Posh Spears and Slice of Life like this.
  16. Slice of Life

Dddddddddddddd this is my first time seeing that giving a 7 is an offense that deserves dragging. Kween!

Sprockrooster and ohnostalgia like this.
  17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

One time I dragged anyone who gave Little Things a score of 5 or higher...

18. Slice of Life

Oop, I would've given it a 10 solely for being that passive aggressive bop.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

You basically undid all the relationship building we did in this rate. Good luck with that.

20. Slice of Life

ohnostalgia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.