Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 60 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

If you hadn't guessed it yet this was originally the song to go at TWENTY NINE.

You've all punched out 2 of my top 10 songs before the Top 25.

First2Run and send photo like this.
  2. This not being top 10 is honestly confusing? Bye.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

@send photo @2014 show your face in here.

First2Run and send photo like this.
  4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

@Jwentz hunt him down.

First2Run and Slice of Life like this.
  5. I'm on it.

[​IMG]

6. Firstable I love Soviet Kitsch, but I just didn't LOVE this song. My score wasn't even that bad.
    Secondable I will not share the blame for this when I watched gem after gem that I scored highly from So jealous. I can't I shan't I won't. The rest of you should be ashamed (and Sainthood should've bowed out at about 35)

7. What a fucking disaster. First To The Hilt in the altpop rate and now this. This forum is more numb than I thought. I hate you all.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

It's my mom's birthday today so I don't know that I'll get an elimination out. I'm not particularly excited about cutting the next track either.

9. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR MOM @ohnostalgia!

Ferk, constantino, send photo and 3 others like this.
  10. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

11. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Slice of Life and send photo like this.
  12. Of all the great songs from The Con, "Are You Ten Years Ago" making it this far is... surprising. To me at least.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I will try to get the show back on the road later today, but there will be more kicking and screaming from me as you eliminate another one of my all time favourite songs. Sniff.

Slice of Life and send photo like this.
  14. Fuck. I feel like The Con (song) might be up and that would be painful. Or maybe I Was A Fool. But that hurts too. Not sure if our lovely host view those a huge favourites.

15. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

YAS KILL HIM AGAIN.

17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

oh. hi.
    we meet again.

this business of art
    the misunderstood rebellious second child

the edgy art school drop out
    who'd kick all our asses

she died tragically
    cause of death: you

[​IMG]
    THIS BUSINESS OF ART 6.84

TESTIMONIALS

"
    Haunting and somehow a bit poppy (dare I say it)." - @Sprockrooster

"I know Tegan is mortified by this song, it is after all a bit heavy handed, but it’s just soooooo sophomore art school thesis that I can’t help but LOVE it." - @Jwentz

"Somehow grand, sweeping, and intimate all at the same time. Some of the most passionate, emotional vocal performances I’ve heard from these two. Might’ve gotten me a bit choked up, but we just don’t know." - @Petty Mayonnaise

"Give me that bluesy, angsty bop that I love."
    - @Petty Mayonnaise

SCORES

Highest Average:
    7.72 @2014
    Lowest Average: 5.19 @Ferk

Highest Ranking Song: My Number
    Most 10s: My Number
    11s: The First

Highest Tegan Song:
    My Number
    Highest Sara Song: Hype

OHNOSTALGIA HIGHLIGHTS

BLUESY:
    Quite a few tracks on This Business of Art have bluesy elements, which is an interesting juxtaposition with some of the more electronic elements.

ANDROGYNOUS QUEENS:
    I love how neither of them gave a fuck about looking "girly." I quite enjoy their looks in the video for The First.

TEXTURE: So many ... interesting vocal choices made here. Can't say they're all winners, but it's definitely a wild ride!!!

GAY-STRAIGHT RELATIONS: Today I would give My Number a 10, it's grown on me so much. And I love how Tegan explored the unrequited love element with her guy friend.

FIVE VIDEOS TO WATCH

FROM THE LADIES THEMSELVES

TEENWIRE: In your song, "The First," you say that the future's scary, but you "choose to celebrate." What advice would you give to young women about the future?

TEGAN: I just watched Slaughter Boy and it's in my head, so I have to say it: "Don't do crack." But really, there's a lot of pressure to do certain things and to be empowered and to be strong. But you are you and no matter what you do, as long as you feel good about it, you're doing the right thing.

---​

MUSICTODAY: I'm really intrigued by the title of your album (This Business of Art). You both seem really knowledgeable for being so young. What's that all about?

TEGAN: We had a lot business-y stuff going on in our lives and we felt that this album was made during a time that we felt the most business in our lives. We were on top of the game, and talking to people and structuring and setting goals became a career for us. It left just being a musician, so we decided okay, this is what we are doing and this is our career. Let's map it out and let's feel comfortable with what we are doing. We wanted to make a statement [by] saying that we chose to be exactly where we were, and that even though we muck around and whine and cry, at the end of the day, I am 90% happy with the choices we have made: going with Vapor and going with Universal. So, in ten years, you won't see us on "Behind the Music," going on and saying this happened and this happened. We just don't want that to happen to us, so we're taking control and making it art. We can take responsibility. We're going to make mistakes. It doesn't matter how educated or how much we get ourselves involved in our business. At least we can say that we made it and we don't have to blame everyone. There are lots of things that a record company does that's annoying, but that's the way that they do it and it's not the way that I would do it.

----​

CHARTATTACK: My parents have always been, like, "School is always first, no matter what comes along the way." Have yours always been supportive?

SARA: My mom just finished high school and married my dad and had kids. When my parents got divorced, she went back to university and got a Masters in social work. When we told her that we were gonna take a year off, my mom was really upset and was like, "I don't want you to do what I did. I did it the hard way and it's not fun being an adult student." It was a failure in her life and she didn't want it to be one in ours. I was just like, "I'm not going to school for different reasons than you, I want to be there and I want to want to go." When she realized that we weren't going to slum around and that we were going to try to do something with music or even if we were just happy, it quickly settled in with her that it was different. She had been stuck into a life because of having a kid and getting married. We were choosing our life. I think that she realized that was attributed to her strength. She liked that, so she's cool with that.

THE LAST WORD

watching old baseball games and low budget telethons
    ain't like watching you yourself when you yourself is on
    got time to wander to waste and to whine
    but when it comes to you it seems like i just can't find the time

so watch your head and then watch the ground
    it's a silly time to learn to swim when you start to drown
    it's a silly time to learn to swim on the way down

if i gave you my number
    would it still be the same
    if i saved you from drowning
    promise me you'll never go away
    oh promise me you'll always stay

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.