Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 61 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. These testimonials are great. Even if all the ones so far were for albums I didn't rate kii.

Slice of Life and ohnostalgia like this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

*Cries in So Jealous*

3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

sara: anyways, jesus this has nothing to do with her, this actually has to do with her mom.

*crowd cheers*

sara: not in a sexual way at all, she just ... you guys, no! oh my god, i feel so much stress i got one of those cramps where your toes go erect you know?

tegan: they don't go erect.

sara: stiffen up or whatever.

tegan: yes, yeah...

sara: well the appropriate word would've been stiffen up, but um... okay, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. the point of the end of the story is that christina's mom - i used to, this is not a joke either, like i really used to want to be um a synchronized swimmer when i was a little kid. and uh i think i just, it got popular in the eighties and i was in the eighties and i thought it was really cool because it combined what i liked to do, which was swimming and then also because christina was, she was in dance class and i used to kinda like think that was, i kinda liked that she danced and she used to wear these bodysuits and stuff and-

*crowd oohs*

sara: anyways, i just thought that if combined- i was confused right, because i was like five so i wasn't thinking about her sexually. i just liked her so i was like i'll combine swimming, which is what i do, and i'll combine dancing, which is what she does, into this perfect sport of synchronized swimming.

tegan: are you saying you created it?

sara: no!!!

tegan: that's what it sounded like for a minute there.

sara: no.

tegan: i'm saying it sounded like you were doing an entry on wikipedia.

sara: no, i was, i just mean like i was really magnetically drawn to synchro because of how much i liked christina.

tegan: what does that have to do with [redacted]?

sara: *sigh* christina's mom told me that i couldn't be a synchronized swimmer.

*crowd is awwwing*

sara: i don't think she was, i don't think she meant to be mean. who's laughing now christina's mom? no i don't mean that, she- they're nice. i just, i'm sorry, i just um... anyways, for some reason whenever i think about this song - this is kinda like being on acid right now, but i just - the link that i make between this song and that story is that this song is not necessarily something that i am good at doing, it's just something that i wanted to try to do. and it was the first time that i ever tried to write a song because, that didn't have to do with guitars, it just had to do with how much i like rihanna. i don't know how any of that connects or makes sense so i won't talk again probably for the rest of the show, but i-

*crowd boos*

sara: no, i'm not punishing you, i'm just telling you that i'm now awkward and want to die. and i probably will leave the rest of the show to your um slowly fading memory of this moment. but now i would like for you to enjoy this song, which will now forever be googled with the word christina and that other word that maybe you've already forgotten.

[​IMG]

26. Alligator 8.23

HIGH:
    10.00 x 4 @Ferk @Jwentz @ohnostalgia @Sprockrooster
    LOW: 6.50 x 2 @Remorque @send photo

ALBUM: Sainthood
    WRITER: Sara

ALLIGATOR TEARS,
    SPILT OVER YOU.

PLURAL YOU
    (YOU ASSHOLES)

"This was the first song I wrote for Tegan and Sara that didn’t involve guitar whatsoever. There were lots of songs I’d written where I took guitars out or fooled with the instrumentation later on, but “Alligator” was the first song that I sat down and wrote without even thinking of the guitar. I picked a piano riff that I thought was cool, looped it, and just started building from there. And that was really the beginning of the writing and production that’s really become my standard at this point."
    - Sara

Really kinda baffled at why the prototype for all of Sara's Heartthrob and Love You To Death work is falling out before the Top 20, but the taste level I'm working with here is shocking so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ In 2016 Sara named Alligator as one of the 10 Best Tegan & Sara songs and I completely agree. It's actually the second song that converted me to their music (the first was Back In Your Head). This is so cute and whimsical- I love the piano and the xylophone and the synthy flourishes and the kinda childish sing-songy nature of it. In one of the older banters I typed up Sara talked about how kids love this song and maybe I'm just one of those hypnotized babies, who knows. But my god the lyrics!!!!!!!!! I love that Sara wrote a song about me.

Sensitive, it's true, alligator tears spilt over you.
    Relentless, yes it's true, my motormouth runs over you.
    No hissy fits, mind my manners, won't make a scene over you.
    Rattled yes, it's true, alligator tears spilled over you.

I must also take a minute to talk about the super gay music video where Tegan & Sara dance in coordinated snowsuits and make snow angels out of glitter!!!!!! You don't deserve that video.

@Petty Mayonnaise (7.5)
    dares to bring up the T word like it's a swear: "What kind of cute bop that’s only just on the verge of being twee nonsense? Dangerous women living on the edge of my good will." I think not, beast. @digitalkaiser (8) continues to skirt his Sainthood stanning duties: "The video for this is one of my favorite Tegan and Sara videos, it really fits the sounds and visuals of the time of its release. Incredibly catchy, features piano work, and some xylophone! Yas!" This is what happens when people don't pull their high scoring weight. Oh here's @constantino (7) acting like this needed elevating: "The twinkling little chimes(?) that sit underneath the rest of the instrumentation elevate this much more than they should." Go back to your beige underachieving chanteuse I guess. @Posh Spears (8) was s h o c k e d: "This is adorable and the video took me by surprise! Queens of choreography." Queens of creating routines I could actually do. @eccentricsimply (8) gives props for their Florida vacation experiences: ""Alligator tears" sounds much better than "crocodile tears"." #Preach. @Slice of Life (9.5) finally brings up the P word: "The album's best yet. It's the most pop so I guess that's explains why I like this the most." You get it sis, I like you. Meanwhile @Sprockrooster (10) says he wants more but he's also been shading their first album with no guitars so what_is_the_truth.gif? " I did not expect this. But now I have a taste of it, I want more." @Jwentz (10) calls it: "Minimalistic pop perfection." Thank you. And we'll close with @Ferk (10) to really lay on the guilt trip: "One of their finest in my opinion. And again, it really hit home during my relationship. He would cheat and I'd accept it. Because as the song says "Run around on me, die without""

Please watch this video as it is the funniest Sara video I've ever seen (and is the source of the two Christina Simpson banters that I split up into two separate posts):

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  4. Alligator is lovely! I should've 9'd it. Surprised Arrow beat it.
    Remember when this was a joke but I actually predicted the future.

5. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Oh can we also talk about how the entire video is Sara trying to save dying Tegan?

Slice of Life and send photo like this.
  6. NO!!!

'Alligator' is easily in my Tegan & Sara Too 10. Easily. The video alone warrants it a much higher placement.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  7. So even the poppiest cuts from their pre 2013 albums are getting the chop.

Ok.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  8. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I had the highest average for This Business Of Art??

Cool. I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed their earlier stuff actually.

send photo and ohnostalgia like this.
  9. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

sara: and i respect that you are still standing even during the super bummer part of our set, like-

tegan: kinda amazing.

sara: you're like *i feel the knife going in, i'm feeling anxious.* i like the people who have their beers also above their heads, i just can't imagine. and i like how you're swaying, it makes me think of like when i was sixteen and i would get drunk at my friend jessica's house and i would, we would put records on her parent's stereo and everyone at one point would just be so drunk all we would be doing basically is like swaying and holding onto each other in front of the speaker. we'd be like *sways* and like just-

tegan: i don't know if you should tell that story.

sara: why?

tegan: hmmm sixteen.... seems a little young.

sara: i mean real talk, real talk now with you. i am twenty-nine and i admit that there are times when i see sixteen year olds or fourteen year olds at our shows and i think god, when i have a fourteen year old it is going straight to a teenage prison camp. not because i don't think that the fourteen year olds are awesome, but i do not want to deal with that disaster when i am a parent, i just don't. and my mom always says to me, she always says "you're not going to feel that way, you're going to love it and it's going to be poofy and kind of mean and say mean things to you and you still love it and want to feed it and stuff." that's a direct quote. but um, i just right now it's just so hard for me to imagine that, i just want it to go away until it's like hmmm twenty... hmmm twenty-two. and then it comes back and it's awesome, it's like an awesome twenty-two year old kid who has a job, it doesn't live with me. but before fourteen, i mean before fourteen, before fourteen-

*intense screaming from crowd*

sara: sorry, i got so distracted. it's so sweet that you're so enthusiastic, but it does kinda throw me off my train of thought. cause i can't tell if you're like "i'm going to shoot you" or if you're like "your bum looks terrific." i don't even know what you're saying. anyways i have no idea why i started talking about that, except to say that those of you who are standing and you're doing it so well, we are now entering again the part of the set where people might all want to stand up.

[​IMG]

#25. Don't Find Another Love 8.24

HIGH:
    10.00 x 4 @2014 @ethansiafbjork @LE0Night @Slice of Life
    LOW: 6.00 x 2 @LA Hallucinations @send photo
    MY SCORE: 8.00

ALBUM: Endless Love Soundtrack
    WRITER: N/A

I am genuinely infuriated that Don't Find Another Love, A SONG WHICH THE LADIES DID NOT EVEN WRITE, has beaten out so many of their own classics. Do you all think you did a little bit too much on this???? Written by Julie Frost, Don't Find Another Love was included in the Endless Love Soundtrack. Get those mainstream Hollywood coins, etc etc, but this should've gone a long ass time ago. I hope you're all ashamed of yourselves. I would certainly have downgraded my score if I'd known the amount of extra thrown this track's way.

I'm going to start with the usually right @Petty Mayonnaise (6.5): "Pretty standard soundtrack fare. Cute if a bit beige." It's a bit obvious they didn't write this, now that I think about it. @digitalkaiser (8) gave this the same score as Alligator: "I love this song, its very Lyyke Li in some places, it’s just got that cool dark hipster princess vibe. I have only heard this song a few times, but it’s a very classic and romantic piece of music, I would love for them to go for a beautiful cinematic sort of album like this next. It’s a gorgeous song for them." There's nothing hipster about this???????? @constantino (7) really overestimated my ability to run this rate efficiently: "Wait at the recycled Lights-era Ellie Goulding production (rate open NOW!)." I do find it cute that this left the day after Love Me Like You Do though. @Posh Spears (9.5) mentions a certain songstress that entire forum knows I love: "The “please don’t find another love” reminds me of “please don’t be in love with someone else” in Taylor’s Enchanted. I don’t really think about Taylor Swift very often so it’s weird that I made that connection. But in summary, this song is really sweet and adorable. I feel like I might cry to it someday." DO NOT EVEN COMPARE THIS TO THE MASTERPIECE THAT IS ENCHANTED. HOW DARE YOU. @eccentricsimply (9) just tells me: 'Oh, I like this a lot." Enough to be in the Top 25 Tegan & Sara songs??? R E A L L Y. Meanwhile @Slice of Life (10) is doing way way way too much: "This is an actual contender for my 11. I was so obsessed with this for months... back when I was craving for a follow-up to Heartthrob. I love Love You To Death but I would have not minded if the Heartthrob follow-up sounded like this. It's so sweet without being cheesy. The ooh-ooh's are so angelic too. Yath gorls, bring me to church! "

10. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

N n n at me mostly having high scores left so the eliminations aren't that bad for me anymore.

[​IMG]

LE0Night likes this.
  11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

[​IMG]

12. I FEEL
    NOTHING.

LE0Night, send photo and ohnostalgia like this.
  13. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Don't Find Another Love is cute - it kinda sounds like something they had actually written though.

Ferk likes this.
  14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Remember how you stan The Con now and made me very happy and sad at the same time?

PS. I am going forward with the mini reveal of The Songs You Did Wrong. Send me your five songs you completely underscored by like.... January 25th and I'll reveal them right before the finale.

Jwentz and send photo like this.
  15. I have a few thoughts about this, let me have my good friend Jojo respond for me.

16. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

Aww. The little extra that could.

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL SONG AND I LOVE IT TO PIECES. LET ME LIVE!

send photo and Ferk like this.
  17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

sara: i was watching a lot of the west wing and i was thinking a lot about politics and uh people who are publicly political. and we've always said that we're very political people, but we're a pop band. we don't want to preach unless we really feel like the message we want to deliver is important and there have been a few times in the last few years where i've certainly felt like it was important to go on record, um we have a big enough audience now that some of the issues that i care most about um, even though they don't necessarily have much to do with our band, as a public person who has um an audience i felt like it was important to speak out. but that got me thinking a lot about when i was younger and who were the role models that i looked up to, and certainly in the mid to late 90s there were only a few people who i really felt represented both culturally and like i don't know spiritually how i felt, you know. some of it was based on politics, some of it was based on sexuality and my identity and how i felt about my life moving forward. and i wrote a lot of the song about thinking back on being a teenager and not really being able to imagine what my future was going to look like because all the people who were sort of um popular cultural figures at the time um i couldn't identify with their lives or what they were saying. so i was trying to write a song from that perspective.

tegan: so the song is not about making out?

sara: it is not a shot of flirtatious-

tegan: skip!

sara: teenage uh casual driving in the car with your hair blowing back song.

tegan: how did it get on the record?

[​IMG]

#24. I'm Not Your Hero 8.26

HIGH:
    11.00 x 1 @digitalkaiser 10.00 x 3 @Jwentz @Remorque @Slice of Life
    LOW: 4.50 x 1 @LE0Night
    MY SCORE: 9.00

ALBUM: Heartthrob
    WRITER: Sara

This feels..... wrong. I have no idea what any of you are doing, but poor @Jwentz can't even catch a break on the post-2013 eliminations apparently. I'm Not Your Hero is an incredibly poignant song within the Tegan & Sara catalogue. We've spent a lot of time talking about how important these ladies are to LGBT+ women and the overwhelming homophobia and sexism that plagued their early career. I've also spent quite a bit of time talking about how Tegan & Sara are my personal heros and provided a safe space to explore my sexuality. I've spent some time thinking about what it must've been like to be idolized by so many young women and be trailblazers. I'm going to take you through these lyrics cause they deserve a spotlight. The quotes are all from the interview Sara did with Shura.

standing where I am now
    standing up at all
    I was used to feeling like I was never
    going to see myself at the finish line

hanging on to parts of me
    hanging on at all
    I was used to seeing
    no future in my sight-line

"When I was a teenager - 15, 16, 17 - and I was looking for someone in my age group who was representing it but I didn't necessarily have that. I had people in my parents' generation...I remember at some point thinking, okay I'm listening to all this music representing my generation - you know, people like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Hole, and there was a bit of trashing of gender identity or sexuality - but there were no out gay people I was listening to, at least knowingly. Maybe Ani Di Franco but she was late for me, when I was getting out of high school. I remember her identifying as bisexual, which again, was like: I understood base level sexuality - I was gay - but I didn't understand the sections of sexuality. Soon after that she was getting married to a man..."

----

sometimes it feels like they want to remind me
    send all those villains after me
    I'm not their hero
    but that doesn't mean I wasn't brave

"In the later part of the '90s and early 2000s, the early part of our career, it actually felt incredibly hetero-normative. It felt you had to be a very specific thing and look a certain way. You had to be dirty and wear a leather jacket and be super straight. I thought there was a real lack of queerness in music and in the music industry for the beginning part of our career."

----

I never walked the party line
    doesn't mean that I was never afraid

I'm not your hero
    but that doesn't mean we're not one and the same

sometimes it feels like the side that I'm on
    plays the toughest hand, holds the longest stand
    sometimes it feels like I'm all that they've got
    gets so hard to know I'm not what they want

did my best to walk the finest line
    'till I've had all that I can take

"But when we were in our twenties, I didn't feel like anybody's hero. In fact I often felt like a lot of gay people were like: "you don't represent me! I don't like your music, I don't like your politics!" or, "I don't like your haircut!". I think that's a result of when you have such an invisible group of people...it's like the Democratic Party in the States right now. You only get two choices. What about if neither of those people represent you? You end up with a weird backlash. For us that was the challenge in the first few years of our career. Okay: we want to be out and talk about being gay but we also want to not talk about being gay because we feel like we make everybody mad when we do that. It was so confusing. Now we're old: yeah, we're gay, we're heroes..."

----

feeling like I am now
    lighting up the hall
    I was used to standing
    in the shadow of a damaged heart

learning all I know now
    losing all I did
    I never used to feel like
    I'd be standing so far ahead

"I never feel like we're trailblazing but I do feel like we have a fearlessness. Although I'm racked with anxiety all the time but that's the trappings of being a self-aware person. I feel very mindful of who I am and what I am and both my strengths and weaknesses. I just don't feel like people can hold us back any more in terms of the music we're making now. Once the guitar was out of my hands I felt like people didn't have the same weapon against us. I felt like "okay we don't play the guitar in the way these guitar gods play it" so fuck the guitar, I'm gonna make music the way I want to make music. And now there's a confidence and inspiration in making music without worrying that we're not doing it right."

----

sometimes it feels what I recovered you lost
    sending your peaceful arms to me

"One thing that's really been interesting about the last couple of albums is that I think that people in the beginning our career had no problem talking about us however they wanted to - there was no embarrassment for someone to write something really derogatory or offensive about us because it was the era of 'I didn't know' or 'I didn't mean anything about that' - now people are <very> sensitive and they don't want to say the wrong thing or offend you. It's kind of refreshing. Now people are not only more aware and educated but they're willing to give you the space to say the things that you are instead of allowing them to define you. You're finally allowed to define yourself. That is like a brand new thing."

-----

We'll start with @constantino (8): "One of the more chorus-heavy songs on the album, but WHAT A CHORUS! I sure do love me some searing synths, and the girls know that." @Posh Spears (8) has questions: "Wait… who wouldn’t want Sara as their hero?! This song is totally great though. Very thought-provoking!" It's pretty easy to write a scholarly paper about this. Just giving you some ideas for university @eccentricsimply (9), but it seems like you're already on it: "Argh, their lyrics are honestly so incredible. "I'm not their hero/but that doesn't mean that I wasn't brave."" Help. @Jwentz (10) calls this a: "great mid tempo" as he sharpens his custom made knife set. Meanwhile @Slice of Life (10) is having another Sara fuelled crisis: "Such quotable lyrics. I think this song talks about being unwanted by the people who you care for the most? Yeah, that sucks. Totally. Like, yes, I may not be the best option but I am better than nothing. N N N N Okay, this is getting all too real. *puts mask on* Okay, this is a bop. That's it." I saw nothing.

We'll let @digitalkaiser (11) close us out: "This is my 11. I’ve cried so many time’s to this song. It sounds a bit basic to some, and I’m about 100% percent sure that no one else will pick this as an 11, but every portion of this song works for me on every level. Its got the right amount of euphoric sadness, wailing guitars and beats that just transfix me. Its also a decent throwback to an earlier sound, on an album full of mostly new sounds. I was going through a separation with my now husband when this album came out, and this song smacked me across my mind and heart with a bag of bricks. It’s just one of those things. I’m pretty sure I have wracked up the most plays of this song then any other within their discography. If I were to be objective, it can feel a bit ‘by the numbers’ but for some reason it really works for me and I never get tired of hearing it, it’s just wrapped too heavily in those memories and evokes such a pure feeling in me."

Jwentz, LE0Night, First2Run and 7 others like this.
  18. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

19. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

I AM GENUINELY HURT NOOOOOOOOO.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okay one more.

[​IMG]

Jwentz, LE0Night, send photo and 4 others like this.
  20. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

No idea how you could score a song like this a 4.5, but I suppose it's poetry that the same score @digitalkaiser sunk Where Does the Good Go with comes back to haunt him.

LE0Night and send photo like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.