Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 66 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. W a i t.

I thought this was a dead cert for top 10, and maybe even top 5. What the fuck is wrong with the lot of you?

2. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

Not even I gave this a low score what the fuck

ohnostalgia likes this.
  3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I AM DISGUSTED. I totally thought this was going to hit Top 10 as well. Now I'm All Messed Up teeters in and out of my Top 10 Tegan & Sara tracks. So doubly hurtful.

LE0Night, Ferk and Slice of Life like this.
  4. I thought Now I'm All Messed Up was a potential winner. What kind of Sara discrimination?! Is this what happens under a Trump presidency?

5. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Please stop saying that Sara is your fave.

6. What an outrage over such an average score. Listening now to it makes me think I was generous with a 6. Glad it is out and not mad I am the lowest scorer.

This rate has been good lately. I feel there is something in the water.

7. 2014

2014 Staff Member

NO

Basically most of LYTD needs to fuck off right now

Jwentz likes this.
  8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I'm cutting another 11 tonight. Sorry.

Posh Spears likes this.
  9. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

[​IMG]

Did we listen to the same song??? How is this just a 6???

MAKE ME UNDERSTAND, PRECIOUS!!!

And now I'm worried.

10. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

tegan: we're so excited to be playing tonight. does anyone want to put in a request?

*mass screaming*

tegan: okay, hold on. don't get out of hand. don't get out of hand. um while we're definitely going to play living room. in fact we're going to play it this afternoon as well so you'll get to hear it twice. um dark come soon.... oh that sounded so funny, say it again. god it's so adorable. do we sound funny to you too? i mean i just wonder, i know obviously because we have different accents, but i just wonder 'cause you know like i just figure that you probably have to hear this horrifying accent all the time so maybe you're used to it, but do you ever have a hard time understanding us? sometimes i have a hard time understanding you. like we were in belfast for the last two days - so awesome, had a really great time - did not understand. every time i asked a question i regretted it almost immediately. i went looking for a sewing kit in every store, i was like excuse me do you have like a needle and thread and they'd be like *indecipherable sound* and i was like oh man, that's so cute. if only i knew what you said, but it sounded like a no in there so uh anyway.... it's different. like i'm finding here that it's not as, well it's clearer, i understand you better so. but not in a bad way, like in canada depending where you are the accent changes so i suppose that makes sense that your country-

sara: you sort of sound like pirates a little bit.

tegan: that's pretty awesome. we kinda sound like um ... well it's kinda faded with time, but like we kinda when i listen back to old interviews i think we sound kinda like farmers, prairie people.

sara: prairie people, yeah. but you it's cool, you sound like pirates. at the end of every sentence it sounds like people are saying arrrrrr.

tegan: it's kinda cute. yeah, i never thought of that. do you have a sewing needle and thread? arrrrrrrrr.

sara: captain hook has one in the back.

tegan: i hope that didn't come off like we're mocking you, we're really not.

sara: we mock everyone.

tegan: yeah. even each other sadly, but okay. well we'll move forward here. this song um i- there's a p.o. box in the city where we live where you can send mail and i go once a month and i pick it up and people have been sending a lot of books lately, which is awesome. most of them are addressed to sara, but sara lives in montreal-

sara: i know how to read.

tegan: yeah. and i'm learning how to read all the books that people send for sara 'cause i keep them all, but uh anyway i get so many letters about our sad songs, like people write about knife going in and i was married and this song. and people write like the most amazing letters, but really depressing. like really depressing. like sometimes i'm like could you guys write some nice letters like things are going well, but it's like "i had the worst year of my life, but after it got better it got even worse so now it's not the worst year of my life, it was the second worst year of my life. this year was the worst, but i still listen to this song every day and it makes it better." and i'm like really? i think you need to change some stuff up- maybe stop listening to this song 'cause it's not helping anything. anyway. so when you think of this song now moving forward it's not a sad song anymore. i won in the end and so it can't be the soundtrack to your sadness. okay? think of leprechauns and pirates next time. and sara.

[​IMG]

#16. Call It Off 8.55

HIGH:
    11.00 x 1 @Petty Mayonnaise 10.00 x 4 @Ferk @LE0Night @ohnostalgia @Remorque
    LOW: 5.00 x 1 @LA Hallucinations 6.00 x 1 @Sprockrooster

ALBUM: The Con
    WRITER: Tegan

[​IMG]

"When I wrote this song I felt pretty unoriginal because everybody writes love songs and everybody feels like their love’s the most important, and when their love ends and they get their heart broken, that nobody understands, and that’s ridiculous… but so am I."
    - Tegan

If you're at all regretting short changing your Call It Off score you damn well should- it ended 0.03 points behind a three way tie for 15th place. If Call It Off had finished just outside of a Top 15 full of Alligator, On Directing, Now I'm All Messed Up, Living Room, Where Does The Good Go, Walking With A Ghost... then fine. Fair enough. With the Top 15 we have now though? Completely unacceptable and most of you can frankly just die. Call It Off is another one of their songs that teeters in and out of my Top 10 Tegan & Sara songs; it's just so short and bittersweet. I'm sure most of us have experienced those could've been relationships, the ones that were cut off before they really began. Or maybe those ones that never began at all.

maybe I would have been something you'd be good at
    maybe you would have been something I'd be good at

"The moment that you write something… like I remember when I wrote “maybe I would have been something you’d be good at” in ‘Call It Off’. I remember when that line of words came out of my mouth and it immediately wasn’t mine anymore. I could feel the universe grab it back and be like “No! That is universal. That is somebody else’s feeling, you just summed up how we all feel.” Maybe I would be good for you. How do we know? And now we don’t know. It was like the universe came back in and snatched it back from me. And every time that I sing that line, I feel like it’s borrowed from the audience and from the world." - Tegan

Like goddamn. I don't know how you can hear that line and give this song a five. And @digitalkaiser is damn lucky I challenged him on his scores for The Con because he originally scored this as A THREE. Unfathomable. And I haven't even started on the music, which is so beautiful and haunting!!!! I love how the first verse is more acoustic and then with the second an underlying synth takes us to a more grandiose place. Call It Off also has a lot of amazing back and forth vocals between Tegan and Sara, which are wonderful and etched into my heart. And the harmonies on the bridge slash outro are wonderful and everything I love about this band. Finally I'd just like to spotlight this brutal lyric, because it hurts in the best way: "you take your time coming over here, I think that's for the best." OUCH.

Okay what do you all have to say for yourselves this time. I'm getting tired of these excuses. Might as well start with @digitalkaiser (7): "This song is pretty anthemic. It’s like one of those gorgeous ‘silent dance songs’....where you don’t know just how much it pops until you isolate it and realize just how awesome it is. Its another great Tegan and Sara song that grows and evolves. I think it takes a few listens, but it’s such a sweet song. It kind of ends abruptly! I think my sourness at that maybe contributed to my low score of it, but I get it." The abrupt ending is one of the greatest parts because it mirrors the subject matter. I always thought that was pretty intentional. @constantino (9) gets it: "I don’t know why but I’ve always had a soft spot for bleak closers, because, you know, life’s like that isn’t it? The sparsity really brings out the best in their vocals; sometimes, simplicity works best." Amen. @Posh Spears (9.5) brings up the visual component, which involves Sara wrapping a telephone cord around Tegan because #art: "The video for this is just lovely." Okay, it's pretty great I was just being angry. @eccentricsimply (7.5) is just wrong: "Okay, the sadness is getting RIDICULOUS at this point." The Con is their depressive masterpiece and you will fucking deal. Listen to @Slice of Life (9.5): "This sounds really sad. I want to hug them after this song, this album. This album felt like an emotional release and I think it's so brave of them to let us on what they've gone through." It's been a rough week for me and @Ferk (10): " Such a deceptively simple yet devastating song. 'Maybe I would have been something you'd be good at...maybe you would have been something I'd be good at...but now we'll never know..." always tugs at my heart." *sniff*

It was completely unsurprising to me that @Petty Mayonnaise gave this his 11. I'll just say that he has a tendency to pick the most depressing song on an album and stan it. Instead of expressing himself in verbal format, I received another gif - WHICH GOT DELETED OH FUCK. Okay I'll just revinvent ha as Beyonce:

[​IMG]

LE0Night, constantino, Jwentz and 7 others like this.
  11. [​IMG]
    What the fuck is wrong with you people?
    dddddd clock me a bit.

12. Oh my GOD(ney)

This should have at least made it into the top 15. At least !!!

LE0Night and ohnostalgia like this.
  13. Today has been a lot of ouch.

LE0Night, Ferk and ohnostalgia like this.
  14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Will I survive this rate???

15. And now if I may express myself not in gif form for a second, this song was my 11 before the recent events in my personal life. The added perspective of watching my relationship dissolve makes this song even more special to me, tibb. I have no idea if this was the intention behind the song but to me, this has come to represent that feeling after the breakup, when you know that it was healthier for both of you to not be together anymore, but you still miss that person and get caught up on all the hypotheticals of how good it COULD HAVE been rather than how good or bad it actually was. "Call break my own heart" and "I won't be sad, but in case I'll go there everyday to make myself feel bad" both really hit home for me (I mean the whole song does but these lines in particular), because they're such a perfect expression of wallowing in your bad feelings and using all that hypothetical good to punish yourself for letting the relationship end the way it did and ultimately make you rethink that decision even though you already know it was for the best. I don't know if that makes sense, but I couldn't seem to find better phrasing. Before, it was just a lovely breakup song about someone else, but now, it represents something far closer to home.

16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I have the exact same interpretation. There's so much in this song and people didn't really give it a fair chance. Their loss.

17. Not Closer playing during the end credits of the first season finale of Bojack Horseman. How does this rate follow me everywhere??? Your impact @ohnostalgia.

18. Now I'm All Messed Up is one of their dullest post 13 offerings.

Come at me.

19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Chucking out another 11 today. Hehe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.