Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 67 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

tegan: we actually have thanksgiving up in canada already because it's a different time than america and uh we had thanksgiving with a - how old are those kids? - eighteen and like twelve, and they taught me about youtube. and i don't mean that i didn't know that youtube existed, they basically explained to sara and i that they only-

sara: no i knew.

tegan: you knew this? sara's just- well the part that i didn't know-

sara: i spent a lot of the summer with nine year old so i-

tegan: right, so sara knew more about this, but it started off with they were just telling me about their favourite gaming youtube people, like they put up blogs- seriously i know this is going to make me seem ancient, but i swear i didn't know. i don't play video games so when they were talking about their favourite gamers who make like blogs about other games, they show you how to beat levels and things, so they drew me in with this so i started having this conversation with these kids about this at dinner and then we start talking about why they would watch this, like why this is so interesting. in fact one of them does not even play video games, but she said she loves to go home and watch these people. they knew all the names of them, i didn't retain none of it. but um we got talking about music and they were saying they only use youtube to listen to music, they don't listen to spotify. in fact when i said spotify their faces scrunched up like i was all of the sudden an elderly person. it was like oh spotify and they were just like "we only listen to music on youtube" and i was like "oh i'm so sorry, uh, tell me more." um so i preceded to go home and type an email to my manager in giant font - like cause i can't see anymore - *mimes typing with two fingers* apparently we should be doing more things on youtube. and they basically wrote back "duh."

um anyway, i don't even know why i was telling you about that. mainly because we're almost at the end of the show and i just wanted to have a moment with you. don't worry, don't worry, when it comes to the end of the show you will feel like, you're like "yeah that was long enough. she was right." um sara and i, as i said earlier we put out a new record and it's called love you to death and um we spend a lot of time talking about if records are even relevant anymore and if you should even make them anymore or if you should just- i mean that's the thing 'cause there's a small percentage of humans who when i say that are like yessssssssssssss!!!!!!!!! but then other times i'll say things like "man wouldn't it be cool if we just went home for a couple months and wrote some new songs and just put them out. every time we wrote a song we just put them out on the internet". and then i'm like we'd be kanye and that seems like it's going really well, that seems like a model that really works so i never know what to say when we get to this part of the show, but we are going to play you some new songs off our "record" and um i hope that doesn't make us seem ancient, but we're really proud of it. it's our eighth record and um-

sara: i'm trying to-

tegan: you can listen to it on youtube.

sara: i'm trying to imagine this as tegan's like presidential speech. like she's like "yeah i guess i'll try to do stuff for you in the future.... my presidency might be okay.... you might enjoy the next part of your life with us." how about this? we're about to play some fucking songs that are going to fucking tear your faces off. they're so good everybody on this stage is going to give you a hundred percent. we're going to dance- this body under these clothes right now-

tegan: wow.

sara: this is tight under here right now. this is just six weeks of dancing, this part of the show, the dancing from this part of the show i am like, i'm like ... i don't know a really fit person.

tegan: see that's a great marketing idea: you should get our eighth record love you to death it's a fitness record! are you ready to get in shape?

sara: that's right, it is. i'm like michelle rodriguez from fast and furious. this is a full six pack, uh it's very tight, very tight so get ready for that. are you ready? no you don't even seem that excited about how tight this body is. the one time in eighteen years that i objectify myself and some people are like "it's fine". i'm like "it's tight" and some people are like "shhhh, i don't want to hear about your tight body." come on you guys! we're going to get fit together, are you ready?

[​IMG]

#15a. BWU 8.58

HIGH:
    11.00 x 1 @send photo 10.00 x 5 @constantino @Ferk @LA Hallucinations @Petty Mayonnaise @Posh Spears
    LOW: 5.00 x 1 @Sprockrooster
    MY SCORE: 9.00

ALBUM: Love You To Death
    WRITER: Sara

@send photo keeps messaging me about Sara in the BWU video so I chose his absolute favourite moment and an entire banter about how hot she is to soften the blow of losing his 11. Not that many of you will probably feel sympathy for him considering the damage he's wreaked, but honestly after seeing some of his averages in other rates I think he was trying to be nice because he likes me? Maybe. I'll let him have that. Anyways, I love BWU, it's so sweet and fun and pretty. It's also one of the few songs where Sara explicitly writes about female love interests instead of having them implied. I remember sitting back and taking notice when I first heard "all the girls I loved before told me they signed up for more" and then wanting to die because I was so happy. Obviously neither Tegan or Sara owe me songs where they veer away from singing to the you, but every time they do I am so grateful. Also I talked about this earlier in the rate, but BWU is the sister song to I Was Married:

"It's another example of me attempting to write a song that's supposed to be a sweet pop song but ends up darker, like 'Boyfriend,'" she said. "'Be With You' is interesting because Tegan and I were such big advocates of the same-sex marriage movement in the United States and in Canada. But the twist is that I, personally, don't want to be married," she continued. "As I've gotten older, because I'm queer and because it's suddenly really apparent how deeply unfair it was that gay people couldn't get married, I've had to reassess my feelings about marriage," she said, adding her family didn't put much emphasis on the status. "So now I'm asking, 'What does it mean, historically and culturally?' I feel so torn about it, because I don't want to seem like a jerk."

@Petty Mayonnaise (10) continues to be this rate's punching bag: "I’m running out of ways to call these perfect bops, but that’s what they are." @digitalkaiser (8) buys what Sara's selling: "I love the chorus in this, it’s got such an anthemic feel. The production feels very….80s mixed with like early 2000s pop? Its cute but has that sad chorus going for it which elevates it into euphoric bop status." @constantino (10) is doing a lot but I don't mind: "Ambivalent BOP! There’s an element of chill and restrained here, exemplified by the icy synths, that just GETS ME. The bridge/middle 8 is pure pop heaven and I melt every time I hear it. Also, any song that explicitly references same-sex relationships gets bumped up a point." Meanwhile @Posh Spears (10) says this is ha 11 runner up: "Yas Sara you queen, scalp the institution of marriage and snatch us all with this socially commentary packaged in a glorious mid-tempo jam! I still stand by the song I gave my 11 but if I could give another one it would totally be this. The message totally makes this of their best songs ever. Also, how iconic is the video?" Rate grouch @Jwentz (6) blesses us with some commentary: "A bit boring." Riveting. Homophobic.

I knew @eccentricsimply (9) would single out the same moment I did: "I remember listening to this song for the first time and when I reached "all the girls I loved before" I burst into tears. It's amazing that we get to sing about not needing a white wedding even though if I want to marry a girl, I could! That's an awesome feeling." Bi ladies unite! @Slice of Life (9.5) confuses me with this score and that commentary: "HA! Yath, question marriage like I do, Kweens! I admit I love the sentiment better than the song. The song speaks so much to me since I really can't, don't, won't see myself entering the marriage hell. Kii. I think it's fascinating that this sounds like a song that would get played on a newlywed's first dance... until you hear the lyrics. "We don't need a white wedding." Hehe." This song also spoke to @Ferk (10): "I mentioned this in the album thread but as happy as I was when gay marriage was finally legalized in the states, I almost immediately felt a huge surge of guilt and shame when I realized that it's not necessarily something I want for myself. As the song says (paraphrased) just give me you, give me love, keep the white wedding. It's something I still feel conflicted about and I was so glad when they brought it up in interviews. It's a beautiful song."

And here's @send photo (11): "This song is so infectious, I love it dearly. Sara is beyond cute in this video as well, propose to me my queen." Now imagine getting several PMs like this on a regular basis and you're living my life.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  2. How heart wrenching. I'd love to know in which universe that is the second worst track on the album??? What an amazing song.

I love you for 11-ing this @send photo

I hate u @Sprockrooster

3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

So you've just assumed the other two songs clocking in at 15 aren't from Love You To Death? Interesting.

Posh Spears likes this.
  4. Knew that was coming! I totally thought of that but just wanted to word it the way I did to be dramatic.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  5. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Fair enough. I picked this one first to be dramatic and have three 11s go in a row. Although I see @LE0Night has not yet made an appearance and killed you all.

LE0Night and Posh Spears like this.
  6. So the next two are not 11 losses then?! I love detective work.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

They are not. But we do lose another 11 before we hit Top 10.

8. Oh you decided not to just end the rate after Call It Off's demise? Ok work.

9. My new signature?

10. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I mean I still have my 11 in so I gotta keep going. I'm sorry.
    Yes.

digitalkaiser likes this.
  11. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

Okay so not to make this about lesbophobia, but @Sprockrooster you're lesbophobic

12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Okay but now I'm getting reobsessed with Sara in the BWU video. @send photo your impact.

13. But why wasn't your 11 the clearly sensational, devastating bop Call It Off?

LE0Night and ohnostalgia like this.
  14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Because I gave it to the first song of theirs that owned my heart and which still destroys me on a regular basis.

If I could've gave more 11s Call It Off for sure would've got one.

LE0Night likes this.
  15. Aw, fair enough I guess but this song hits even harder for me since the election for some reason. Glad it got so far.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  16. Imagine if the last 11 to fall before the top ten is ohnostalgia's and we're all slaughtered.

LE0Night, Slice of Life and Ferk like this.
  17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Stop trying to be a psychic.

Slice of Life likes this.
  18. Well. I do not know any lesbians personally; only the ones on this forum perhaps, but I have no idea who is a lesbian. I am just not that invested I think. Not hating also obviously.

19. We share our 11, y'all don't want to see the mess that would happen if it gets knocked out before the top 10.

Slice of Life and ohnostalgia like this.
  20. I said imagine. Psychics don't imagine! Anyway, it seems obvious to me that song will be in the top 10 (top 5 I'm not so sure though). Seeing it as the thread title probably scared people into scoring it high x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.