Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 70 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Stop triggering me.

Lander, constantino, LE0Night and 4 others like this.
  2. I hate you.

I'm genuinely afraid I can't do this next song justice whelp.

send photo likes this.
  3. Oh so Dying To Know is sticking around.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  4. You might want to get your outrage ready, I'm going to need it.

5. Oh. It's gonna be from The Con isn't it.

ohnostalgia and send photo like this.
  6. sara: do we have any people in the house who are married?

tegan: whoa... why are you doing that right now? what are you about to talk about?

sara: just.... lgbtq issues?

tegan: great.

sara: so last time we played in this venue- i'm having a flood of a lot of memories 'cause last time we played in this venue i was in a relationship with somebody who we were like in the midst of breaking up.

crowd: awwwwwwwww.

sara: i know, it was really sad. it's fine, we're friends. we're gay- girls just always make up. it's just easier. anyways, i remember the last time that we played at this venue having this terrible - we played two nights and in the backstage area there's these pictures of like um the theatre before it was refinished or you know renovated or whatever. and i remember taking all these pictures back there and in every single picture - i hated the pictures, i hated the time because in all the pictures i always have big bags under my eyes because i would just cry all the time.

crowd: awwwwwwwwwww.

sara: i know, it was so sad. i- it's a sad story, i was in a sad place in my life. tegan was very sad when she wrote [redacted] but then she kinda got happy so it was annoying. like she was like, "oh my god, i suffered so much" and then she was like "i'm so happy now!!!" and when i was writing [redacted] i was happy and then when we were touring it i was like "i hate my life and i hate myself." it was really hard.

tegan: wow.

sara: what? do you not like the story?

tegan: no, i love the story. i'm so stoked.

sara: the thing that is interesting to me is that when i was- so i was going through what to me felt like a divorce, you know like i was separating everything in my life and at the time i couldn't really relate to what tegan was singing about or what her songs were about because i was in a relationship and a lot of her songs were about longing for someone and my songs, you know, were about when you're just like- let's be honest, you're just sick of somebody and you're ready to not be around them anymore.

tegan: wow.

sara: but in a romantic uh way. and uh, but anyways it's really interesting singing these songs, especially in this room because i felt very detached from, you know, the music and it's actually very touching to hear you sing these songs, especially you sing tegan's songs because i didn't really relate to them at the time and it's weird as an artist when you're on stage - not pretending - but you're sort of just getting through it sometimes when you feel really sad. and it's so amazing to hear you all sing the songs and just i feel very connected to you and that you know exactly what tegan was going through and probably what we've all gone through. to anybody who's going through that right now.. i'm sorry. i'm not. so it gets better, it does. anyways it was really beautiful to hear you guys sing and this next one makes me feel really emotional too. i just feel like, you know, it's very special to be celebrating this record-

tegan: are you like about to quit the band?

sara: no, i'm not quitting the band. i just feel very sentimental because-

tegan: i'm just joking with you!

sara: you just!

tegan: yeah i just wanted to see if they would laugh.

sara: that's so mean to me. i just feel very sentimental-

tegan: *claps* sara everyone, she's doing a great job. we're going to miss her. gina, who's going to fill her spot, she's super excited to come out and sing the last part of the show. but sara's been great, right? a good strong seventeen years.

sara: no, i just feel very-

tegan: i love it.

sara: i just feel very sentimental, so much that i want these next couple songs to go out to anybody who's going through the shit.

[​IMG]

#10. The Con 8.86

HIGH:
    11.00 x 1 @Sprockrooster 10.00 x 6 @Ferk @Jwentz @LE0Night @ohnostalgia @Petty Mayonnaise @send photo
    LOW: 7.00 x 3 @eccentricsimply @ethansiafbjork @Remorque 7.50 x 1 @Posh Spears

ALBUM: The Con
    WRITER: Tegan

yeah....
    that's it.

I QUIT.

7. Giving one of Tegan and Sara's signature tunes below a 9

[​IMG]

Thinking Dying To Know is better than The Con

[​IMG]

Handing out 10s to boring fillers tracks on LY2D while ignoring Tegan's best chorus

[​IMG]

Ignoring the greatest middle 8 of their career

[​IMG]

@digitalkaiser

[​IMG]

Ferk, R92 and ohnostalgia like this.
  8. Jesus. I've been low key anxious about this result for weeks because I still cannot believe this happened. Honestly, what a load of disrespectful bullshit. This is without a doubt the biggest travesty you will find in this rate. To make an analogy some of you might understand... this is your cutting Formation before the Big Pop Girls finale moment.

EXCEPT
    YOU
    CUT
    IT
    AT
    NUMBER
    TEN.

"I wrote our last record about crying. I’ve spent nearly a year answering questions about what I was crying about, and I’ve rarely had a believable response. No one understands why someone like me would enjoy being upset.

I remember when I was six- or seven-years-old, my grandparents’ friend Claudette told me that crying was good for you. “It cleans out your eyes!” she shouted at me. She had a very loud voice, and I was intensely nervous and shy around loud voices — ironic considering how loudly I speak. I remember the carpet and wallpaper in my Grandma’s kitchen as if it were yesterday, and Claudette picking me up, putting me in her lap and telling me why crying was healthy.

Trembling in her arms, I shouted frantically but silently to my mother. “Help me,” I screamed inside my head. “I’m upset. Why are you letting this stranger console me? Pick me up! Shuttle me away to a back room to sob in your arms.” When I feel that way now, I often find myself remembering this childhood moment instantly. Sometimes it successfully distracts me from what I feel bad about; other times it ensures a good cry is on the way.

I wrote nearly every song for ‘The Con’ in the storage room of my old five-bedroom house. The carpet was new but cheap, so it was flat, hard and coarse. It was also white. Who puts white carpet in anymore? I was able to get a $250 subsidy from the company that I own with my sister to help pay the rent. And in exchange, I stored everything our band owned in that one room. I lived in that cavernous house for just under a year. I stayed to spite my newly ruined five-year relationship, and myself. I wanted to prove to myself and everyone else that I was OK, and that a hundred-year-old house in the worst part of town wasn’t even remotely scary for me to navigate alone.

I challenged myself to stay, and stay I did.

I rarely ventured downstairs, and when I did it was only to shower, use the washroom or cook. From time to time, I would eat my dinner on my red leather couch (luckily still mine, even after the divorce) and watch ‘Dog the Bounty Hunter.’ But typically after 20 minutes, my mind would wander and back upstairs I would settle again.

My office felt like an attic. The roof was the opposite of vaulted. What’s that called again? It had dark hardwood floors, and the sun rose in one window and set in another. I would lay on the floor in the afternoon in such a way that I could only see the sky and the treetops outside the window. I would imagine I was on the roof, or on a beach, or in a park. I would belt Bruce Springsteen and inevitably I would fall into tears. In the evenings, I would talk for hours on the phone with one friend or another. My mom and sister would check in with me around this time of day, too. I would squeeze myself between the boxes holding our band’s history, and wedge my feet against the road cases we had painstakingly squished up the stairs.

And I would cry."

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  9. Sorry!!! I would score it higher today.

send photo likes this.
  10. Welp.

I'll just take my drags humbley and know that it's at least grown on me a lot since my 8.

We're all winners he-
    *gets shot*

11. What can I say about The Con that hasn't already been said (by better groups of fans than here)? Okay, let's start with this: The Con is TRQ personified. It's such an emotionally honest, open, vulnerable song and I can literally imagine nobody else pulling this off like Tegan. Whenever I hear it I want to give Tegan a big hug and just tell her "me too, me too, I get it, it's okay." Even though I know she's all happy and shit now, I still want to give her that hug. Because that is the power of The Con. It's not just a song- it's a state of mind, a manifesto, a living breathing reminder of what music can be at its very best. It's a complete marriage of intricate soundscapes, nuanced songwriting, and quietly devastating lyrics. It all starts with such a simple guitar and:

I listened in
    yes I'm guilty of this
    you should know this
    I broke down and wrote you back
    before you had a chance to
    forget forgotten
    I am moving past this giving notice
    I have to go
    yes I know the feeling,
    know you're leaving

If you can remember all the way back to Soil, Soil, you'll recall that Tegan sent every song she wrote on The Con to Lyndsey: "‘One time I was so sad and I wanted to write the saddest song to send to her because I thought if she knew how sad I was then she couldn’t bear to not be with me.’" TEGAN. CHRIST. But before you really have the chance to process you're hit with a wave of electric guitars, intensifying and electrifying. One of the best things about The Con is how much it doesn't let up, just taking you hostage in a storm of pure emotion. The perfect storm.

Calm down, I'm calling you to say
    I'm capsized, staring on the edge of safe
    Calm down, I'm calling back to say
    I'm home now
    I'm coming around, coming around​

"I'm capsized, staring on the edge of safe." I could write multitudes on this one lyric alone. Well I kinda already did, as @LE0Night so aptly foreshadowed a few days ago by quoting my intro post. This is basically where I had my little nervous breakdown during their live show. Every day I'm drowning in this closet and I can see the edge of safe and what's beyond. And I am terrified.

nobody likes to but I really like to cry
    nobody likes me
    maybe if I cry

"Once you get through the first three or four months, that’s when it all comes out.. that’s the con. You create this person that you’re going to be, and then it all falls apart." TEGAN, PLEASE. ENOUGH. We're already emotionally traumatized. I'll just echo what @Jwentz said: this is the best Tegan chorus (and I'd argue the best Tegan & Sara chorus period).

spelled out your name and lists the reasons
    faint of heart
    don't call me back
    I imagine you when I was distant
    non-insistent
    I follow suit and laid out on my back imagine that
    a million hours left to think of you
    and think of that

"I was trying to date this girl who wasn’t available. We were talking hours and hours a day and sending hundreds and hundreds of texts and e-mails, and spending all this money on trips, and there would be times where I would pull away and just ask her, “why? Why are you still calling me? Why is this still continuing?” I felt like I was conning her. There was some magic in me that was making this person question everything and continue this dance with me. During this whole ordeal I was very confident and outgoing, but in my alone time I was crying on the floor every day — and I enjoyed it, I enjoyed every second of my misery. The deeper and the darker it went, the more pleasant it felt!"

This is when I could hear most of the crowd breaking down during my show. As they usually do nowadays The Con is played completely acoustic, just Tegan, Sara, and a guitar. I got shivers on that final: "a million hours left to think of you and think of that."

Encircle me, I need to be, taken down
    Encircle me, I need to be, taken down​

What a breathtaking bridge. I'm honestly speechless. Tegan. Did. That. I have no doubt that The Con will be remembered as one of the greatest, if not the greatest Tegan & Sara song of all time. When I went to my coming out group this is the song the ladies wanted to win. Yes, you all disappointed a bunch of gay women. How does that make you feel?

First2Run, constantino, Ferk and 9 others like this.
  12. Feels like a Tuesday to be honest. I kid.

It was hard not to give this one my 11, as it ruled my teenage years and was the song that turned me from a casual fan to a full blown stan. It was the song where the production and vocal harmonies finally caught up to their songwriting and as @ohnostalgia already pointed out through her breakdown every single moment of it packs a huge emotional punch. To me it's just lightning in a bottle.

LE0Night and ohnostalgia like this.
  13. [​IMG]
    We open with @ohnostalgia at her therapist's office.

[​IMG]
    "I need to feel more gay. What can I do?"

[​IMG]
    "Oh yeah... I really like that one lesbian group.... Tegan and.... Shura?"

[​IMG]
    "What if I forced everyone to rate all their songs for shits and giggles? What could go wrong?"

[​IMG]
    @Petty Mayonnaise: "@ohnostalgia, hun... do you think that's a good idea? Remember the
    meltdowns you had over One Direction?"

[​IMG]
    "Those were completely justified."

[​IMG]
    "... okay."

SIX MONTHS LATER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "WHO THE FUCK IS @send photo!!!!!"

[​IMG]
    "Remember when they cut Call It Off at #16 and you didn't end the rate?"

[​IMG]
    "No."

[​IMG]
    "I'm a bit busy right now."

[​IMG]
    "Bye."

[​IMG]

14. Alright, let's get to this group of disappointment. I suppose I should let you all have your say. Your completely WRONG say. @eccentricsimply (7) is evil: "I have to say I'd probably give this song a much higher score if the production was better, but also relatable. Sis. Oh hey @digitalkaiser (8): "This was the big ‘moment’ on the album for me. It features some of the 80’s elements of the later albums and for that it makes me the song a solid 7. I’m a bit gutted that I remember liking this song much more then I seem to right now in the moment, the chorus kind of blends in with everything else and is not as impactful as I remember it. It’s certainly no ‘Back in Your head’, but it makes sense being a single. I feel the same about this after a few more listens, but the memories make it more impactful." Stop lying. @Remorque (7): "The good sis @ohnostalgia will fucking hate me for it, but I definitely underscored this. I really didn’t like it when I first heard this, but fuck… It’s opened itself up to me over the past couple of months and now it’s one of my favourites on the album. It’s like they’re singing about me. In fact, I think they are…" FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!!!!!!! HAVE THESE REVELATIONS BEFORE YOU VOTE!!!!!

I won't dishonour the rest of you by grouping your commentary in with that lot. @Petty Mayonnaise (10) sent me another broken gif. Please imagine ha crying - as one should - to this masterpiece. Or perhaps just imagine this gif from @send photo (10):

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

@constantino (9): "Con me QUEENS! The sense of urgency here really elevates this, especially during the chorus." Silver star for you (would've been gold if you'd 10-ed it). RIP @Jwentz (10): "So achingly close to being my 11, this song showed a huge leap forward in terms of crafting a fully realized pop song. The production is big, the vocal harmonies are killer and the breathless verses lead into this huge chorus out of no where. AND THEN THERE IS THAT MIDDLE 8. THEY. DID. THAT." I'm sorry they did this to you. I'm happy to report that I've already gotten over the @Slice of Life (9.25) Formation incident because I remembered they actually properly stan these ladies: "It's so ironic that they're asking the listener to calm down when they're the ones who seem to need to, judging from the urgency and breathlessness that they exhibit in the vocals. I like ironies so I like this too. Plus, is that an electronic instrument that I hear? Ooh. Let me add a .25 to my score." Just imagine... @Ferk (10) hasn't got here yet: "One of my favorite songs by them, as well as one of my favorite songs in general. Everything from the production to the lyrics to the way they sing it just hits home for me. Beautiful song and one of their finest moments."

Let's close out with the downright un-villainous @Sprockrooster (11): "Such a massive take over upon first listen. Capsized and was washed over instantly. After a few spins it's lyrical meaning became more clear, which made me love it even more. Doubted long with my 11, but in the end this one won, because it was the only track to be immense from the very first start and till the final play deciding my 11."

And because I realize I've made this very difficult to follow, here are parts 1, 2, 3, and 4.

#PRAY4PJ

15. Encircle me.

I need a hug.

Jwentz, LE0Night, ohnostalgia and 3 others like this.
  16. I can't.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.