Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 77 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. I meant so that other songs that went out too early would go higher!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  2. Don't you stan for Anastasia? Queen of hating music.

3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Let's relive the hatchet job you all did on The Con...

[​IMG]
    75. Soil, Soil

[​IMG]
    63. Hop A Plane

[​IMG]
    62. I Was Married

[​IMG]
    61. Knife Going In

[​IMG]
    58. Floorplan

[​IMG]
    50. Like O, Like H

[​IMG]
    47. Burn Your Life Down

[​IMG]
    37. Relief Next To Me

[​IMG]
    22. Are You Ten Years Ago?

[​IMG]
    19. Dark Come Soon

[​IMG]
    16. Call It Off

[​IMG]
    10. The Con

Which means guess what?
    SARA FINALLY HAS A LAST SONG STANDING!!!!

Back In Your Head

4. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Great top 5 actually!

1 Back In Your Head
    2 Closer
    3 Stop Desire
    4 Boyfriend
    5 U-Turn

Jwentz and send photo like this.
  5. I'd love if Boyfriend becomes the highest rated LY2D track, but realistically it'll be U-Turn.

LE0Night likes this.
  6. IT IS ANASTACIA. And she recently covered John Miles' 'Music (Is My First Love)', so that post couldnot be more wrong.

send photo and Jwentz like this.

7. And Call It Off.

LE0Night, ohnostalgia and Jwentz like this.
  8. This is delayed as fuck but I did give this a 10 so...

ohnostalgia likes this.
  9. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Sadly I just forgot to write you in the post, I didn't miss your score. Shoot.

10. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I meant to post this yesterday but then I got sick and battled nausea for like eight hours!
    Not that Heartthrob made me nauseous...

[​IMG]
    57. I Run Empty

[​IMG]
    51. How Come You Don't Want Me

[​IMG]
    48. Guilty as Charged

[​IMG]
    38. Drove Me Wild

[​IMG]
    32. Love They Say

[​IMG]
    28. I Couldn't Be Your Friend

[​IMG]
    24. I'm Not Your Hero

[​IMG]
    17. Now I'm All Messed Up

[​IMG]
    11. Goodbye, Goodbye

[​IMG]
    7. Shock To Your System

[​IMG]
    6. I Was A Fool

So your favourite Heartthrob song is...

CLOSER.

Sara adds another 0.5 to her last song standing rankings!!!

11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

sara: we are so proud to play world pride in toronto. but we didn't need it to be world pride, you know that our favourite audience is in toronto, thank you soooo much. uh if i wasn't in a monogamous gay relationship i would have sex with all of you.

tegan: no, she's lying, she's a tease.

sara: of age, consensual, and with protection of course... i'm just kidding, i'm very frigid. anyways from our band, from our crew, we've been really touched by being here. we believe in this, we believe in the community around us, we feel so proud of the people who support our band, who support the lgbt community. thank you so much for having us toronto, this is our last song. goodbye!

[​IMG]

#5. Closer 9.26

HIGH: 11.00 x 1 @Posh Spears 10.00 x 11 @2014 @constantino @digitalkaiser @Ferk @Jwentz @LA Hallucinations @ohnostalgia @Petty Mayonnaise @Remorque @Slice of Life @Sprockrooster
    LOW: 2.50 x 1 @ethansiafbjork 8.00 x 2 @LE0Night @send photo

ALBUM: Heartthrob
    WRITER: Both

Oh hi...

I bet you thought Closer was going to win, huh? Well surprise binch, you thought wrong! And would you be horribly angry at me if I let you in on a little secret: I'm not that mad about it. I'll let that sink in while I share some quotes from our ladies:

"Although I do imagine that this would be an okay song to make out to, all I intended was to write something sweet that reminded the listener of a time before sex, complicated relationships, drama and heartbreak. In short, I was writing about my youth – a time when we got closer by linking arms and walking down our school hallway, or talked all night on the telephone about every thought or experience we’d ever had. It wasn’t necessarily even about hooking up or admitting your feelings back then. In fact, that rarely happened. It was the anticipation of something maybe happening that was truly exciting and satisfying. We were perpetually getting closer, yet we rarely got physical with one another, if ever." - Tegan

---​

TEGAN: Sara and I wrote that together actually. A lot of people were asking about that, but didn't have the opportunity to tell you. But Sara wrote the chorus um, so she's the sexual one. Just a trivia. I was like "I want to hold your hand, I wanna get closer." The song's about like the spark before the touch, the rush before the touch... and Sara's all like "I just want to get physical!" *pussy pats*

SARA: When the world ends it will be that gif and cockroaches.

TEGAN: So where was I? Oh Sara.. you're a bitch.

---

Right, where was I? Oh yes... obviously there's no denying Closer is a behemoth pop song (even though one of you tried it). It's 3:29 of pure sugar rushing through your veins, a shiny glittery ode to making eyes across the room, to not quite reaching for the hand beside you, to writing your first name with their last name, to hoping for mistletoe, to possible love at first sight. The music is light, airy, buoyant, literally a new breath in their discography (which is not to be read as a slight against their earlier work as you damn well should know by now). And yet..... I'm not that passionate about it. Closer gets a 10 from me because I would be insane not to recognize the Grade A pop songwriting going on here, but it doesn't hit me emotionally like a Shock To Your System, an I Was A Fool, nor does it charm me like a U-turn, a Back In Your Head, a Boyfriend. In a lot of ways I think Closer gets a lot of extra credit for being "the first" or a "game-changer" when a) they weren't that far away from pop music in the first place and b) there are more interesting pop songs in their repertoire. There's something about Closer that's just slightly too polished and slick for me to want it to win a Tegan & Sara discography rate. Which again: I love this song, it's amazing and wonderful and all the good things. But I just... am glad it didn't win. Also for your information I took out that 2.5 and Closer still would've only come in 2nd place. Just 'cause I know you'll all be wondering.

Oh dear @Petty Mayonnaise (10): "I fully expect this to win. It was their first proper big pop single, and it is undeniably massive. The synths sparkle. The chorus explodes. Yeah, maybe it’s a bit predictable for this to win, but a wise woman once said “sometimes the simplest move is right.”" Sometimes simple is boring. @digitalkaiser (10): "I think this song will do marvelously well in this rate, and for good reason. Possibly the poppiest Tegan and Sara song ever produced, with a similarly cool and gorgeous video promoting love of all kinds. The positivity, longing, sentiment is all over this song and you can hear it in their voices. The production is some of the best I’ve heard in a song in recent years, and it’s no wonder people took notice of them again after this, almost to point of finding some mainstream appeal. While I think it’s a bit...easy to rate this song so high, there is no denying its appeal." I see no lies. @Jwentz (10) exemplifies what I like to call the"Closer Effect "This is such a perfect pop song only aided by the fact that it seems to come out of nowhere." Seems being the operative word here. Although maybe not for @eccentricsimply (8.5) considering her commentary: "This song started playing and I whispered a very soft "yas" because I know this is album is going to be a relief after the pain that was Sainthood."

@constantino (10) knows the importance of context: "Best opening track of 2013 (EDIT: After Tennis Court oop). They are giving me energy, urgency and pure LIFE with that chorus and it really lets me know exactly what I’m about to experience. I remember reading an interview around the time of release where they basically said that they wanted to write a song about physical attraction between two women, because such a sentiment is so hard to find in pop music, unless it’s in a tokenistic/offensive/tactless/all four way. Basically, this track summarized why a) Tegan and Sara are so important and b) Why I’m delighted about their breakthrough." Although that's actually why I prefer Boyfriend because it's more explicitly gay. @Slice of Life (10) has a cool business idea: "Two years ago, this would be a solid 8. But now it's a perfect 10 because my taste suddenly grew. Kii. I love this so much now and is pretty spot-on when describing a burgeoning relationship. I just want to print out business cards with the words "Let's Get Things Physical" written over them and send them to all the people I fawned over: which is like 1 person. Hehe." @Sprockrooster (10) tries to praise that Niall solo song in my rate and NOT ON MY WATCH: ""A true stomper, but sonically a bit lacking their own sound. This tends to be a bit anyone's song. But no matter who did it. This is amazing nonetheless. Fun Fact: Greg Kurstin who worked on this, also worked on Niall Horan's debut solo single." Don't even start with me tonight. @send photo (8) submits my first vine commentary and says "I'm Kylie."

Cool story. @Ferk (10) had nothing to worry about: "As a huge fan of Tegan and Sara I was excited when I heard they were going for a more pop oriented sound but I was also slightly apprehensive. 'Closer' calmed all those fears. A brilliant, shimmering Pop Song that perfectly captures the rush of a new love. It still gives me a euphoric feeling every time I hear it." And we'll round out the commentary with our scarily psychic 11 giver @Posh Spears: "A massive and brilliantly-composed pop song that was just destined to be their biggest hit yet. The “oh-oh-oh-oh!” hook is fucking excellent, and feels like such a Greg Kurstin trademark as well (which he later reimagined in Famous by Charli XCX, one of my favorite songs). I always say that the best songs are the ones that make you experience intense feeling while still being really simple in nature, and this is a great example. There’s so much emotion in the simplistic lyrics, and the production is just so… fulfilling!"

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017

12. I understand your argument about Closer not being a winner that represents them accurately @ohnostalgia, but this not making at least the top three is beyond incorrect. Although, I was semi prepared for it when you said a 2.5 was still in because I knew it was the only one that was actually likely to get a troll score. Realistically it might not have gotten my 11 if I rated today because of all the other tracks that grew on me since (it'd probably be BWU or Shock To Your System which I rated way too poorly) but Closer is literally THAT out of this world anthemic bop!!!

The one good thing about this result is that Sara can win the rate now with either Slayfriend or Back in Your Scalp.​

LE0Night, Jwentz and ohnostalgia like this.
  13. I'm so glad this didn't win, even though I absolutely adore it. That chorus is still such a rush.

LE0Night and ohnostalgia like this.
  14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

BACK IN YOUR SCALP.

BACK IN YOUR SCALP.

BACK IN YOUR SCALP.

15. Just to be clear, nothing from LY2D deserves to win.

It's not their best album, it's not even their best synth pop album.

16. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

I AM SHOOK!!!

I'm okay with it though.

BUT STILL I AM SHOOK!!!

ohnostalgia, LE0Night and send photo like this.
  17. OK but who is this, though, they've bombed out like half the songs in this rate and yet they've never actually commente-

[​IMG]

@ohnostalgia where did you hide the body.

18. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I swear to god if its a Love You To Death top 3....

Jwentz likes this.
  19. I have little to no experience of Tegan and Sara outside of Heartthrob and Love You To Death but how the fuck is the latter dominating the top 4? It's good, but Heartthrob is such a special album, and I find it hard to believe their earlier stuff being all but absent from the top 10 is accurate.

Also, I've been popping in to see how the few songs I'm familiar with are doing and feel like @ohnostalgia needs a round of applause for her immaculate hosting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.