Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate | Page 78 | The Popjustice Forum

Back In Your Head: The Tegan & Sara Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Merci!!! Listen to some old songs!!!!

Slice of Life likes this.
  2. I suppose I've waited long enough to share with you my personal Top 10 Tegan and Sara songs as of January 31, 2017. I'm putting it in alphabetical order because I'm too stressed out to rank everything. Also it's not perfect because the LYTD songs could change with time, but it felt wrong to not include anything from the album when I love it so. I think you can probably guess my #1 if you've at all been paying attention.

100x
    Alligator
    Back In Your Head
    Boyfriend
    Living Room
    Now I'm All Messed Up
    On Directing
    Shock To Your System
    The Con
    Where Does The Good Go

3. At least we got it half right.

4. ALSO GET IN YOUR UNDERSCORED SONGS ALREADY!!!! I ONLY HAVE THREE OF YOU.

Slice of Life and send photo like this.
  5. How many should we send?

6. Five! But if you send honourable mentions I won't kill you.

7. I was thinking more like 10.

send photo and ohnostalgia like this.
  8. Okay fine if you want to send between 5 and 10 we can do that. @Posh Spears @Petty Mayonnaise

@send photo tried to submit two entire albums...

9. Yas so I'm gonna resend them to you @ohnostalgia and do 10.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  10. Didn’t I just read you gave 1D - Little Things a 10 in a rate?

ohnostalgia and Sprockrooster like this.
  11. [​IMG]

Lander likes this.
  12. I would hate life and music with that taste.

ohnostalgia and Sprockrooster like this.
  13. @ohnostalgia, sis, I probably won't submit my Underscored Songs list since I don't have any.

As for Overscored Songs... kii.

14. tegan: sara's gettting stronger and i'm getting weaker.

sara: i actually feel like um there's always, everybody always emphasizes uh youth in this business and i actually feel like we're getting better as we get older.

tegan: oh yeah. sure.

sara: i actually, i really understand why people like, like people will say to us "oh i don't like you anymore, i really liked you when you were twenty-six and you made my favourite record the con" and i'm like *shrugs* "i was shitty back then, i don't wish i was that same person."

tegan: *laughs*

audience: it's so good though!

sara: i know, but it's like- i mean i don't know- who in this room is twenty-six?

*crickets*

tegan: okay, there's three of us.

sara: who in this room is like thirty-five and older?

*cheers*

sara: you don't want to be twenty-six again. it's gross, it's a gross time. and you're going to look back to the time that you're twenty-six and you're going to be like "eaux." twenty-six year olds are selfish. uh you think you're the most attractive that you're going to be but you're not, you're going to be more attractive because the inside part of you, like your soul and your intelligence, is going to change and you're going to become much more attractive. which is not to say you're not attractive now, but you actually will have a lot more to offer the world when you're not twenty-six. and that's why for me when i think about myself at twenty-six, when people say like "oh you were so much better when you were twenty-six," i'm like "it's not true."

audience: it is true! always great.

sara: did you say it is true?

tegan: always is great, that's good. i love this positive turn.

sara: no. it's not positive! listen at twenty-six-

tegan: oh no.

sara: lemme tell you at twenty-six years old the reason why i could write songs for the con- i was selfish, i was depressed, i hated my life.

audience: but you were great!

sara: stop giving me positive affirmation!!! um... it didn't feel good. how old are you right now?

audience: but you were great.

sara: no, how old are you right now?

audience: i'm twenty-four.

sara: how much?

tegan: twenty-four.

sara: yeah exactly. you can't take advice right now.

tegan: alright, well i'll say this-

sara: just hold on a second.

tegan: i'm going to intro this song.

sara: i know, but i'm not done.

tegan: oh. i'm sorry. she hasn't alienated enough of you.

sara: i just... do you feel alienated?

audience: no!

sara: no. they don't feel alienated!

tegan: okay!

sara: they don't feel alienated, you have to be truthful. sometimes- the point of this thing is only to say that sometimes we've decided that when you're really young you have the most important things to say, but i think as women we should cherish and we should celebrate women as they get older because you have a lot more to offer. that's it! i'm not saying that you shouldn't find our mullets from 2006 cute, i think they're repulsive but... that part's okay. but i just i think it's cool and sexy to grow up and have wrinkles and to know a lot more about life. that's all.

[​IMG]

#4. Stop Desire 9.32

HIGH:
    11.00 x 3 @constantino @eccentricsimply @LA Hallucinations 10.00 x 6 @digitalkaiser @Ferk @ohnostalgia @Petty Mayonnaise @Remorque @Slice of Life
    LOW: 6.00 x 1 @Sprockrooster 7.50 x 1 @LE0Night

ALBUM: Love You To Death
    WRITER: Tegan

Hello misogynistic ageist voters of the Tegan & Sara rate, how are you all feeling tonight? What else do you have planned after the casual murder of this sex bop put out by thirty-something gay women? Maybe some scathing articles about fashion no-nos for women over thirty five? Or some self-esteem destroying antics in the Favourite Popstar Photoshop thread? Possibly @-ing Sara for destroying your twenty-something self? The possibilities are endless!

Here's the tea: I thought Stop Desire would win this rate. Why? Well a) it's pure pop, even purer than Closer in my mind, b) I'm sure it pops off at a club (if clubs ever played Tegan & Sara), c) not only are there synths, but they are used in the appropriate PJ manner, d) it's fun!!!!, e) there is an amazing video with phallic objects, f) the ladies look hot and we stan lewks, g) it's been translated into Simlish, an honour only bestowed on the highest of bops, and most importantly h) somewhere some gay is awkwardly appropriating this into a bottoming anthem. So what the hell happened? Some poor forlorn souls of this rate decided that Stop Desire isn't actually a Grade A bop and pulled the average down. Not even three 11s could save Stop Desire from their shenanigans. And while this would've been a worthy winner, I'm not that mad about it falling here. I'm sure its PJ Grammy Nomination will keep Stop Desire warm at night.

@digitalkaiser (10) is the first to correctly stan for the video: "The video for this is my favorite ever. This song just drives, it’s in a lane of its own. Some of the most pristine production I’ve heard in a long time. Lovingly crafted and affecting. Anthemic chorus." @Posh Spears (9.5) remembers that time I pretended they had an option about voting in my rate: "Throwback to when @ohnostalgia showed me this before the rate to introduce me to their bawps. I watched an interview where they said the lead single for LY2D was either going to be Boyfriend or “a Tegan song” but Tegan wanted a break from the lead single. I ASSUME this was the Tegan song that would’ve been the lead because it’s damn huge. I mean Boyfriend is fantastic but this is such “lead single” material, especially with that video!" Yeah but Boyfriend was still the better lead single, just saying. I have no idea what @Jwentz (8.5) is hearing, except possibly "I liked you better when you were twenty-six" echos: "Seems like it’s being held back just a little bit from being a proper stomper." @Slice of Life (10) is Little Miss Sunshine: "The happiest song yet and I am so here for that. And the music video is the best of this era yet. That video really sealed the deal for me. Serve me with that lust-filled bop but with class, Kweens." @Ferk (10) probably listens to this on repeat: "I've professed my love for this song a few times in the album thread. It was love at first listen and it's only grown over time. The desperation in their voices during the chorus ("Tonight!" And "I tried!" especially) is especially endearing. I love everything about this song really." After suffering a string of tragic losses in the Alt-Pop rate, @Petty Mayonnaise (10) does not find solace here: "Whenever this chorus hits and blows my head off once again: "

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll hand it over to our 11-givers to deliver the final loving tributes. @constantino: "Yes GAWD! It took me 5 listens to conjure up some commentary for this…and even now I’m just rambling… You know when you love a song so much that you struggle to articulate your feelings towards it?? Yeah, it’s very that. The reason I love this song is because it’s essentially purejoy.mp3, like it’s 3 minutes and 18 seconds of unbridled and relentless sugary energy and positivity. Oh and the ‘right where I want you, back against the wall’ line is hot." and @eccentricsimply: "I.... could possibly give this 11 to another song in Love You To Death, but this song is just so.... perfectly crafted and put together. It has everything a pop song needs in order to work amazingly well - amazing lyrics, an addictive pre-chorus and a chorus that gets you shouting in the middle of the night not giving a shit if your neighbors are going to want to kill you for it. The entire production in this album is something superb that none of their albums before bar Heartthrob had, but Stop Desire in particular is even more splendid. It's one of my favorite songs of all times, definitely."

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  15. I used to go to this gay club when I was about 19 with these two lesbian girls and every time we came in the DJ, who we were friends with and knew we loved T&S, would play the (pretty amazing) Bill Hamel remix of 'Back InYour Head'. Naturally, the dance floor would almost totally clear except for the three of us bouncing around and singing along for the whole eight or so minutes. So at least one club has played them. A long time ago. But still. It happened.

16. They did that.

Slice of Life and Ferk like this.
  17. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

constantino, LE0Night, Lander and 8 others like this.
  18. Stop Desire's production mutes it from being a full on banger.

Seriously, they need to dump Kurstin.

And that's sincerely @Jwentz.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  19. Well I'm now very glad I had no choice! (Btw I gave this only a 9.5)

The top three is excellent even if Closer should be there

ohnostalgia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.