Bananarama - General Discussion | Page 738 | The Popjustice Forum

Bananarama - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Fish Finger, May 31, 2012.

1. The two b-sides are better than most of the album. Wish “Treat Me Right” had full lyrics though.

2. Please Yourself was the first CD I bought!

burntoutcar and Txetxu like this.
  3. Shhhh....

This has to be uploaded very discreetly so as to not get blocked.

4. Is the lighting there actually throwing shade upon Jacqui?

ohnoitisnathan likes this.
  5. I Can't Let You Go was always my least favourite track on Pop Life and in fact in their catalogue to that point....so I challenged myself to remix it and reproduce it to include a melody and make it less bloated and to be frank boring....I am quite pleased with the result.....I hope y'all enjoy.

OnlyYourLove likes this.
  6. Are you separating vocals in your mixes? They always sound more like solo vocals. Hearing a lot of Jacquie in that mix.
    Wouldn't be surprised if the demo sounded closer to your mix, I think Youth overproduced the album in places.

WhereIsTheFeeling likes this.
  7. No just getting an acapella by separating from the backing track but adding a “warm” filter to enhance the vocal. I think Jacquie really was prominent on most of the album and nobody realised til she was gone!

8. This almost made me howl in the doctor's waiting room, by the way.

discoteca and WhereIsTheFeeling like this.
  9. Glad to amuse ha ha! (But the original is a dirge of a backing track)

10. I love Please Yourself, and had it followed Wow instead of Pop Life I think it would be easier to digest. Another Lover is a total banger.

11. 100% this!

12. I enjoy Please Yourself. Like most 'Nana albums there are a few duds, and the male backing vocals (they're almost lead vocals at some points) are a little distracting, but it houses Is She Good to You so all is forgiven.

13. Great remix, well done.

But I love I Can’t Let You Go. It really brings back memories of fifteen year–old me in that druggy, post–Second Summer of Love, baggy, dance-y, new decade. It’s the perfect end of the album proper (I love Heartless but for very different reasons and I always treat it as a bonus track).

Amazing that Siobhan left the group, and the very next album they produced was this!

14. I'll never get the hate I Can't Let You Go gets. When I became a fan in the late 90s, the only thing I could find in shops was the Greatest Hits and Bunch of Hits, so my first taste of Pop Life was Ain't No Cure and ICLYG. I remember listening to the CD while taking baths and loving how different it sounded from everything else on that compilation, and the relaxing feel of this song when it came on.

In fact it's what made me hunt for Pop Life next as that song sounded so different from their 80s stuff. It took a couple of years to get it on the pre-Amazon days, though.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  15. I'd go so far as to say that Side A of Please Yourself is the best half of any Bananarama album to date.

Side B is at least better than True Confessions.

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  16. That said, just listening to the Deluxe Edition, and I can totally get that if harder, less ‘pop’ Nanas isn’t your thing, the 1-2-3 punches of Outta Sight, Meglomaniac and I Can’t Let You Go, clocking in at over 17 minutes, might be tiresome.

trussy74 and idratherjack like this.
  17. Megalomaniac should have been left as a Preacher Man b-side and record something else. It's uninteresting and overlong.

18. Me too! Had Please Yourself on repeat all day Tuesday just gone.

19. I find that whole section completely unlistenable. It's a shame the back half really drags down Pop Life for me as the first 5 songs plus Ain't No Cure are all excellent.

20. Please Yourself, is always truly enjoyable whenever I play it.

jpd_watton and idratherjack like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.