Bananarama | Page 786 | The Popjustice Forum

Bananarama

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Fish Finger, May 31, 2012.

1. I have done a new remix of More Than Physical - inspired partly by the disco sound they gave it on the OLU Tour and also with a dash of acid house for late 80s dance vibes. I used the original 12" vocal track so no SAW locs but does include the "set on you" solo refrain from Siobhan which was the basis for that dance track. Enjoy!

2. Pink Frost and zephyr like this.
  3. It's funny when Keren says she can't tell who is saying what during an early interview. Makes me wonder if they would have a hard time now telling who is singing what on 80s tracks.

sjoe71 likes this.
  4. Now we have had the Masquerade album 2 whole months how does everyone rate it now?

For me I’ve got to be honest I really haven’t listened to it like I did with In Stereo and even way before that Drama and Viva. However, when I do give it a spin it’s so cohesive and a great body of work… I guess the taster tracks/singles just haven’t grabbed me like previous eras!

ladyfaheyfan likes this.
  5. It’s fine. I haven’t had any new favorites pop up so it’s really just “Stay Wild” while everything else is just good.

WhereIsTheFeeling likes this.
  6. The album is one of my favorite Bananarama albums, without a doubt (my partner agrees). Loved all the singles much more than anything from In Stereo and the album as a whole is probably on a similar scale to Drama for me.

Pink Frost and WhereIsTheFeeling like this.
  7. I am still listening to Masquerade daily either in full or as part of mix. Two months after release I still love this album.

Along with Tears For Fears's Tipping Point and Oliver Sims' Hideous Bastards, Masquerade sits in my top 3 albums of 2022.

WhereIsTheFeeling likes this.
  8. Usually when I drive, I don't have time for the full album, so my playlist goes something like this ...

Favourite
    Stay Wild
    Velvet Lies
    Running With The Night —or— Brand New —or— Forever Young
    Waiting For The Sun To Shine

I always try to get to the last track before I make it home.

BootedGay71 and burntoutcar like this.
  9. Masquerade is the best duo album, their best album since Pop Life, and is one of my favourite pop albums in the last 10 years.

10. I’d agree with this to be fair. I don’t hammer Bananarama albums in terms of play but I always play this one start to finish when I put it on.

davearama, Pink Frost and burntoutcar like this.
  11. I definitely enjoy "Masquerade", it is a solid album.
    Is it my favourite duo album? Probably not but ranks among the better duo albums for me.
    It has been a grower for me and I am enjoying it probably more on each listen whereas "In Stereo" was more of an instant connection with me on very early listens.

Rankarama:

1. WOW
    2. In Stereo
    3. Pop life
    4. True confessions
    5. Bananarama
    6. Drama
    7. Masquerade
    8. Viva
    9. Ultra Violet
    10. Deep sea skiving
    11. Please yourself
    12. Exotica

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    IEngineered likes this.
  12. I think I like it more than In Stereo, but less than the other duo albums from the last 20 years. I'd say:

Pop Life
    Bananarama
    Deep Sea Skiving
    Ultra Violet
    Wow
    Drama
    Viva
    Please Yourself
    True Confessions
    Masquerade
    In Stereo
    Exotica

djessie likes this.
  13. If I had to try and rank all the albums:

True Confessions
    Pop Life
    Wow
    Masquerade
    Drama
    Viva

Bananarama
    In Stereo
    Deep Sea Skiving

Ultra Violet
    Please Yourself
    Exotica

14. Wynaut join in:

Bananarama
    True Confessions
    Deep Sea Skiving
    Pop Life
    Viva
    Wow
    Drama

Masquerade
    In Stereo

Ultra Violet
    Please Yourself
    Exotica

biffy77 likes this.
  15. Adding my 2 pence worth

Pop Life
    Wow!
    Please Yourself
    Drama
    Ultra Violet
    True Confessions
    Masquerade
    Viva
    Bananarama
    Deep Sea Skiving
    In Stereo
    Exotica

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    Timbo likes this.
  16. Island

Island Staff Member

Their albums are still hard to get through for me, but Drama and Masquerade would probably be my favorites?

17. Masquerade has its moments and i’m glad fans are enjoying it. For me it’s a collection of “fine” songs. There aren’t really highs and lows. They’re on auto pilot. Appreciating they are still around is great and all, but the music quite simply isn’t as interesting as it used to be. Forever Young is a standout for me. As is Favourite. But the album is mostly samey

YourLeadSinger and AbSynth like this.
  18. Good question. Definitely in the upper half of their albums, perhaps in my top 3 and easily my favourite duo album.

It doesn’t reach the heights of Pop Life or Wow, but it has some of my favourite Bananarama songs of all time: Velvet Lies, Forever Young, Masquerade, Stay Wild, Favourite - all solid bangers. It had solid replay value for me.

19. Bananarama
    Wow!
    True Confessions
    Pop life
    Deap sea skiving
    Masquerade
    In stereo
    Drama
    Viva
    Please yourself
    Ultra violet
    Exotica.

The self titled should NEVER be in a low ranking when it's absolutely 100% Bananarama distilled. Two absolute classic singles

20. I think Masquerade is the best album Ian Masterson has produced and I think it does have variety. Quite a few of the songs remind me of other album eras, Bad Love is a bit SAW, Give Me A Little More Time is like a mid tempo track from Ultra Violet like Maybe The Next Time. Lets Go Outside sounds a little Siobhan era. The use of vocoder on some of the songs remind me of The Visitors by ABBA. Masquerade is very Drama. Brand New reminds me of Sugababes 2.0 in a good way.

True Confessions
    Bananarama
    Pop Life
    Wow!
    Masquerade
    Deep Sea Skiving

Drama
    In Stereo
    Viva

Please Yourself

Ultra Violet
    Exotica

The top 3 are interchangeable.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.