Bananarama

How many times do we all have their autographs now?
I've got 9

Drama CD signed to me in person
Christmas card I randomly got from them one year
30 Years CD
In Stereo CD UK
In Stereo CD US
Live In Stereo CD
Really Saying Something book
Masquerade CD
Glorious signed print pre-order

I feel people have gotten used to them as a duo now, so it's less of a surprise to me. I would have preferred a weekend show as I've ended up taking time off to go the Wednesday show but no biggie I guess.

Love truth and honesty, Nathan Jones, Help, Cruel Summer 89 were the four nails in the coffin.
Bingo, “Nathan Jones” may be a fan fave (don’t know why) but as a single it sounds so cheap. “Help!” was for charity but the main single version features parodies of themselves so not sure why they thought that was a great look for a band.

I am still saddened that the US didn’t get the Hot Power Edit of “Love, Truth, and Honesty” as a the single because it is fire and would’ve done well on the coasts (probably would’ve been played on KTU well into the early 00s as well as that sound never went away).

The Pop Life singles are great though. I regard them as some of their best. And actually maybe their best run of consecutive singles. I didn’t think this to be a controversial opinion either.

Preacher Man is easily a top 3 career song for them. They vocally sound their best and the melody and production is A+. They really said “we don’t need you SAW” and meant it.

All four of those singles are perfection, it’s just a shame the rest of the album just… exists. My appreciation for the album has waned over the years because while I can appreciate trying something new, they just don’t really stand up to par with the previous four albums worth of material.

They chose the right four songs as singles though it’s unfortunate the public didn’t care for them.

The first 6 tracks from the Pop Life album are all equally good, but the second half is rather weak. Ain't No Cure sounds out of place being a '89 SAW reject, Outta Sight is a b-side material at best and the last 2 are going on for way too long. Saying that, I personally prefer it to Wow!...

Pop Life brilliance:
Only Your Love
Preacher Man
Long Train Running
I Can't Let You Go
Megalomaniac

Pop Life goodness:
What Colour R The Skies Where U Live
Is Your Love Strong Enough
Outta Sight

Pop Life best left on the shelf:
Ain't No Cure
Heartless
Trippin' On Your Love

I’ve just listened to One In A Million for the first time - bop! But I can see why it never got released, it’s very pop for them. But it would have made a great Greatest Hits single.

As for Love Truth and Honesty, when I was exploring their back catalogue, it lost me quite a few times because the intro was very samey and standard SAW, I kept skipping it because I couldn’t remember it. It’s only when the chorus got stuck in my head I realised what a good song it was. If it started with an acapella burst of the chorus, it would have been loads more attention grabbing so I can kinda see why it underperformed.

Interesting hearing what people rate on Pop Life. Ain’t No Cure could have smashed as a single if released in 89 early 1990.

I’m still convinced Love Truth & Honesty underperformed due to SAW fatigue and possibly lack of a colourful and fun video. In the days of Mtv i don’t think it had the watchability of some of their other videos? Venus, I Heard A Rumour, I Want You Back etc.

I’ve just listened to One In A Million for the first time - bop! But I can see why it never got released, it’s very pop for them. But it would have made a great Greatest Hits single.

As for Love Truth and Honesty, when I was exploring their back catalogue, it lost me quite a few times because the intro was very samey and standard SAW, I kept skipping it because I couldn’t remember it. It’s only when the chorus got stuck in my head I realised what a good song it was. If it started with an acapella burst of the chorus, it would have been loads more attention grabbing so I can kinda see why it underperformed.
Funny. I distinctly remember it’s the intro which hooked me on Love, Truth And Honesty. It’s so understated and melancholy. My favourite Ramas song by a country mile.