Bananarama

I’m going to this in March:

https://www.vam.ac.uk/event/wdGBQplWKa/bananarama

If I do manage to grab the microphone during the inevitable Q&As, what should I ask? Ideally it would be something probing but not offensive.

Which ‘WOW!’ tracks is Siobhan not on?

And what I’d really like to ask… but is more ‘offensive’:

- why did the bogus ‘let’s give everyone a co-writing credit’ thing stop for Pop Life/once Jacquie joined?

- has anything you’ve recorded since 1990 turned a profit?

Which ‘WOW!’ tracks is Siobhan not on?

- why did the bogus ‘let’s give everyone a co-writing credit’ thing stop for Pop Life/once Jacquie joined?

- has anything you’ve recorded since 1990 turned a profit?

I guess to some extent 'Last thing on my mind invalidates that question. The original release wouldn't have but the royalties over the years will have earned them a decent amount.

I guess to some extent 'Last thing on my mind invalidates that question. The original release wouldn't have but the royalties over the years will have earned them a decent amount.
Similarly, I'd have thought that Young At Heart spending four weeks at number one and becoming the 12th biggest selling song of 1993 would have gained them some coin, albeit only via writing credits and clearly not being a song they've recorded since 1990.

I read in a Retro Pop interview (I got both their covers so I'm not sure which) that Sara is the lyricist and Keren works in the studio. There was probably confusion about how to sort these things after Siobhan left. Even Sara doesn't always get credited on Ain't No Cure.

Last edited:
Do Not Disturb was always one of my faves of theirs. They famously never liked it though Sara & Keren recently played it down saying Siobhan didn’t like her spoken part.
I found an old quote about the song recently, from Keren I think, and the gist of it was that they didn't like lyrics.

Edit; from the songs Wikipedia page; Group member Keren Woodward later said of the True Confessions album, "It is all our ideas, it is what we wanted to sound like and sing about. Except 'Do Not Disturb' which Swain and Jolley wrote and which we don't think is very good. That's why there's eleven songs on the LP instead of ten".

Last edited: