BANKS - III | Page 102 | The Popjustice Forum

BANKS - III

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by DarkSacoura, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Guy

Guy

She killed this acoustic set.
    Seriously, if you have the means to go see her on tour, do it.

2. I would but she picked the literal worst venue in the state of Colorado to play at, so I’m not going just on principle.

3. More-or-less my ranking of the songs:

01 - Godless
    02 - Gimme
    03 - Stroke
    04 - Contaminated
    05 - Sawzall
    06 - If We Were Made of Water
    07 - Alaska
    08 - Hawaiian Mazes
    09 - Till Now
    10 - What About Love
    11 - Propaganda
    12 - The Fall
    13 - Look What You're Doing To Me

Gemini likes this.
  4. Banks: a
    Me: That’s it those are the lyrics of my life

5. Till Now, Stroke and The Fall have been my trio since Friday.

Josh K likes this.
  6. I love this album. Stroke is it though. It's basically a casserole of things I love. Noise. Check. Dark atmospheric pop. Check. Stunning
    80s inflected middle eight. Check.

johnoclock, Josh K and Euphoria like this.
  7. Yes. I need more girls to add a bit of noise to their pop.

I just ordered the "milky clear white" variant on vinyl. I can't stop listening to the album - it's really intriguing to me.

Dreampopboy likes this.
  8. I love Godless but my brain has got Rootless by Marina stuck in my head because of the name association.

9. Godless is my favorite on the album. It sounds like a long lost, classic, dramatic '80s pop power ballad (think along the lines of Sky's Guardian), except completely remixed for 2019.

elektroxx likes this.
  10. Pitchfork gave her her best review yet and still dragged her because they are garbage.

alejandrusco likes this.
  11. RJF

RJF

I don't necessarily... disagree with a lot of that review. Her voice is a bit brittle at times and can really end up sounding unpleasant, and while I can't really comment on the lyrics (because she mangles words) I do think the album's production tends to conflate noise with innovation. I just don't think it's a particularly exciting or unique album, and I didn't really think much of the last one either. She's definitely in the same lane as Lana where she... has a thing that she loves to do and more or less sticks to it. I just have a higher tolerance for Lana repeating herself than I do Banks.

strangekin, RUNAWAY, 4Roses and 7 others like this.
  12. This album does not deserve a poor 6.5, c'mon.

13. I’d give it a solid 8.

It’s not perfect by any means, but I’ve had the entire thing on repeat all week.

elektroxx, Euphoria and alejandrusco like this.
  14. 2014

2014 Moderator

I'm still struggling with this, I'll take Gimme and run but can always come back to it I guess.

15. Yeah I don’t think I’m gonna be able to get over the vocal melisma on this one. I’m glad y’all are enjoying it though.

lob0to and Verandi like this.
  16. Look... kinda of grew on me today. Her power knows no bounds.

17. If We Were Made Of Water is seriously beautiful. It sounds like walking through a dream. It's so hypnotic. I'm really impressed with the whole thing on first listen, and I think it'll end up growing on me even more. Let me get lost in your soundscapes, queen.

18. Ooh, where’s this?

Edit: oh, looks like a US indies.

aux and Euphoria like this.
  19. Better was amazing but Gemini Feed was... all over the place

20. RJF

RJF

I'm going through the thread since I missed a bit so forgive this response for being late.
    Hello! Was this when I asked if there was a space for Marina in 2019 and she spent the rest of the year making a case against herself? I don't think asking if what an artist does and brings to the table is relevant any more is particularly offensive. It doesn't invalidate their existence; Marina's still selling out shows peddling her new brand of Live Laugh Love pop music regardless. She's still coming to the table despite the fact she's bringing nothing to it. I'm sure the same is true for Banks.

Speaking of which, I listened to "Look..." for the first time when I listened to the album and... it doesn't even particularly stick out as an explicit fumble. It's the same kind of borderline-atonal, fuckery-for-the-sake-of-fuckery white noise that's getting the rest of the album labelled as a deep listen. It's maybe just a little more pronounced.

Jonathan27 and Verandi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.