BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend 2014 | The Popjustice Forum

BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend 2014

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Stuart, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Not sure if this is the right place to post this but oh well...

BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend 2014 comes to Glasgow on 23rd-25th May. Rita Ora, Pharrell Williams, Paolo Nutini and The 1975 have been announced so far but they usually have a big 'pop' headliner so figured there may as well be a thread for it.

Anyone else manage to get tickets for this today? I got a pair for each of the three days. Can't ask for much more for £15! I finish my final university exams on 22nd May and then it's my birthday on 25th May so it's safe to say I'm looking forward to this!

2. My friend just messaged me about this on Facebook.

I had no idea that it was in Glasgow or on sale today so I got zilch. I have no idea how I ended up so out of the loop on this one. Oh well.

3. Nyeh, needs to come back to Manchester/close to Jinzo. No visits since the first one in 2003, sadface.

4. Lily Allen has announced a headline show in Aberdeen on the 23rd May so I'm assuming she's a shoe-in.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  5. Got tickets for the weekend!

I was thinking that either Katy or Miley might be appearing, because they're around the UK/Western Europe at the time, but they're booked for shows on both of those days. Justin is away in Asia, Gaga's in the US/Canada, and Beyoncé will be having a well-deserved rest. Can't really see Rihanna doing anything.

I'm really intrigued to see if they can pull a 'big name' this year, as everyone seems to be elsewhere. Can Pharrell really be the main selling point?

6. Katy is free on Sunday 25th but it would mean her performing three nights in a row if she headlined. I guess it's likely she'd be doing a reduced set so I'd say there's still a chance.

Drake wouldn't surprise me if he was announced as the 'pop' headliner.

7. The lineup for this is being announced on Radio 1 throughout the day. Some pretty big acts announced for the Main Stage so far! One Direction, Coldplay, Pharrell, Lily Allen on the Saturday and Katy Perry, Tinie Tempah and Kings of Leon on the Sunday.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  8. I'm surprised by how many big names they've managed to book for this. One Direction are slap bang in the middle of a stadium tour. They will be flying from Dublin to the festival and then back to Dublin to play another show that night. Same goes for Katy Perry, headlining this means that she'll be performing for three nights in a row which is something she isn't doing at any other point during her tour.

9. My friends are going. I've asked them to kidnap Liam from 1D for me so I can keep him as my sex slave.

I am of course kidding.....

10. SBK

SBK

Why?

It has been booking big names for years....

11. Ha, why on earth are Kasabian playing on the In New Music We Trust stage?!

12. Usually, it's only one or two big names and the rest is standard festival fodder. This year, they have at least five or six big names who could quite easily be festival headliners in their own right - Coldplay, Katy Perry, One Direction, Kasabian, Tiesto, Pharrell, Paolo Nutini (who has already headlined festivals in Scotland), Kings of Leon. And that's only with one stage announced.

13. SBK

SBK

I would disagree, the last 2 years have had pretty big (current) names. Hackney in particular. Its not like this year is anything special.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e9wmxj/performances
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e82wrz/performances

14. It's easy for them to get big names because acts worry that if they don't do it, they won't get played. As Nick Grimshaw said on air the other week, only half jokingly.

15. Looking forward to this! Is anyone else from the forum going?

The arena is coming together nicely:

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.