BBC Sound of 2015 | The Popjustice Forum

BBC Sound of 2015

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by bestinase, Nov 28, 2014.

1. It's that time of year again!

The time where we take a look at which smaller acts have been getting a push over the past few months (including the old 'new major label artist releasing EP on indie label' trick) and predicting which acts the #tastemakers will vote for as Sound of 2015.

What's everyone's guesses for this year's list? For me, Years & Years are the most obvious winners, though I think Ibeyi have a good shot (premature Jools Holland performance, low key EP release, good backstory, blah blah). I think Rae Morris might feature somewhere, too.

2. eck

eck

Most likely: Since James Bay, Years and Years, George the Poet are the Brit's Critics Choice Award nominees, so I guess those are a given.
    I think Wolf Alice, Indiana and Tourist will be nominated too.

Less likely: I hope Charlotte OC, SOAK are considered. Charlotte OC sort of reminds me of BANKS, which is never a bad thing.
    Laurel is being tauted as UK's Lana.. and I guess I can see the similarities.

Hoping: I'm not too sure if Lapsley will fit the eligibility criteria but she seems to be one to look out for next year.

Highly unlikely: Kacy Hill. She's probably bit too early to be considered, but I quite like Experience.

When are the nominations out?

3. Island

Island Staff Member

Meghan Trainor, Becky Hill??

4. Shamir, Josef Salvat, Lapsley, Haelos, The Night VI, EKKAH, Shura, Brolin, Dornik - would be happy with those!

5. TĀLĀ deserves a nomination.

6. Meghan's already had a hit so not eligible; similar to Katy B's situation in her year.

I'm gonna go with Karen Harding as my big shout. Incredibly easy on the ears and a really solid team behind her.

7. Becky's had a Number One already!

I haven't been keeping up with the kinds of artists that would be eligible this year, so I'll probably have heard of about two of the nominees when the list comes out.

8. Crossing fingers and toes for Indiana, Years & Years

9. "Solo Dancing" was a top 20 hit, so Indiana isn't eligible. Hoping to see these on it...

Bondax
    Florrie (finally?)
    Moko
    Rae Morris
    Raleigh Ritchie
    Sasha Keable
    Sinead Harnett

10. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Juce, Jetta and Maxine Ashley would be my top 3 big hopes.

Karen Harding would also be a great inclusion!

11. Island

Island Staff Member

If Ella Eyre and Sam Smith were eligible after their featured singles went #1, wouldn't Becky Hill be eligible??

Also, Bebe Rexha to be included maybe??

12. Becky got equal billing on Overdrive rather than just a feature, and they're not likely to go for a reality show contestant anyway.

Royal Blood were the best act on last year's longlist so I'm actually looking forward more to the bands.

13. Hopefully Years and Years or Sienabo Sey will get it.

14. I can't remember the last year Florrie wasn't suggested in one of these threads. Personally I don't think she's ready yet, but fingers crossed for BBC Sound of 2039!

15. Years and Years look set up get a top 20 this weekend though.

16. Hope to see at least some of these make the list: my girls Ibeyi, SOAK, Låpsley, Seinabo Sey, RY X, Fyfe or Shura.

17. Wouldn't be surprised to see Laura Welsh included.

18. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

A pop 'catch 22'. I want them to be massive, of course, but the 'Sound' poll could give them great exposure.

19. I really hope Sasha Keable is on there.

20. Who were the act last year, or the year before, that actively sabotaged their potential chart position by releasing their single early so they wouldn't be exempt from the Sound Of poll? I want to say Alunageorge, but I can't be certain.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.