BBC Sound of 2016 | The Popjustice Forum

BBC Sound of 2016

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by bestinase, Oct 2, 2015.

1. It's that time again! October is the month labels that are desperate to feature on the list start pushing their new acts harder with endless #buzzsingles and online positioning, so it seems a good enough time for this thread.

The list is compiled by journalists and 'tastemakers' (i.e. nobody who actually buys records), so it's sometimes easy to spot who's going to feature on the list by the way new acts are positioned, talked about and the amount of Soundcloud uploads and lame remixes desperately pushed out over a 12 week period.

Previous winners include Years and Years, Sam Smith and Ellie Goulding. Previous nominees include luminaries such as Chloe Howl, George The Poet, and Daley.

Remember: nobody with a top 20 record is eligible. Your predictions please...

2. Ugh.

(But Rosie Lowe.)

constantino and 2014 like this.
  3. My bae.

eddy2375 and Noir like this.
  4. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Rooting for these two;

CorgiCorgiCorgi likes this.
  5. eck

eck

I hope Wet is on there.

6. It'll probably contain some of these names-

Lion Babe
    Jack Garratt
    BØRNS
    Alessia Cara
    Rationale
    Pretty Vicious
    Wet
    VANT
    Petite Meller
    Nao
    Melé

Zara Larsson would be a contender, though I can easily see Never Forget You reaching the Top 20 beforehand

Rationale & Wet are the ones I primarily want to see on it!

7. Island

Island Staff Member

I thought anyone who doesn't have an album and a top 20 single is eligible?

Hopefully: Alessia Cara, Grace Mitchell, and Petite Meller.

8. A female will probably win since we had Sam and Years in a row.

Although to be honest, I could see this year being a more of a Little Boots/Haim/Michael Kiwanuka year in which the winner doesn't reach mass appeal, but still does okay in the long run.

9. Wait I wonder if Tinashe will be nominated......

Island and 2014 like this.
  10. So many of these never even release an album (MNEK, Sunset Sons anyone?). Or they get attention at the album release, but cannot sustain (Shamir). If I were an artist, I would run screaming.

Rhombus likes this.
  11. It's sort of a risk because you're setting yourself up for the expectation that Radio 1 are going to playlist your music, which is potentially huge. If you don't win though, the risk is high that it's a toss up of whether they actually will or not.

So it's a great tool if it all works out. And there usually about 4 or 5 acts every year who go on to have pretty great careers in the long run.

12. The visuals alone, sold. Let me investigate.

13. Hopefully Rationale will get in the top 5.

14. Three girls in a row then.

Wet are so good thanks @eck

Island and eck like this.
  15. I feel very out of touch this year.

I would say Rhodes should make the list but it sounds like he's ineligible as he's already released his album. Surprised it wasn't pushed back to get him in the mix.

16. eck

eck

No problem! Glad you like them. They haven't put out a bad song at all.

Vasilios likes this.
  17. WHITE will be there!

18. I can't tell if this is a joke about Radio 1 being too white, or if there's a new buzz band called White.

Island likes this.
  19. "Weak" reminds me of "Baby Love" by The Supremes

20. eck

eck

This was pretty big in Australia:

On the male front and probably the Sam Smith entry would be Tor Miller:

Hopefully Charlotte OC makes it too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.