BBC Sound of 2019 | The Popjustice Forum

BBC Sound of 2019

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Aidan, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Just announced but the link isn’t directing to the full list yet.

Aidan likes this.
  3. Great to see Rosalía on there. However, I thought that in order to be nominated the artist couldn’t have released an album before?

slaybellz likes this.
  4. What's the point if they wait till after they've already blown up to include them on the list. Ella Mai also just released an album but has been releasing singles and EPs since 2016 before "Boo'd Up" took off.

5. The list just doesn’t feel very relevant to how artists break through nowadays.

I mean, Rex Orange County is great, but he released albums in 2016 and 2017, bagged the second spot on Sound of 2018, and all he’s done this year is... a fucking cover of You’ve Got a Friend in Me.

New artists have such a long gestation period, and there are so many coming through, that it’s basically impossible for the ‘tastemakers’ to reliably pick next year’s stars anymore.

BrokenHearts and slaybellz like this.
  6. No Rina? Disgusting!

7. Island

Island Staff Member

It’s very zzzz this year. Mahalia for the win I guess.

8. They Grammy'd up. I'm a huge Little Andalusssy but Rosalia doesn't need this. The first male horrifically serving Rag'n'bone Man AND Example. Please no.

Island, Bogdan and slaybellz like this.
  9. When do they announce the shortlist? Don’t they get rid of them one by one?

10. Uno

Uno

I thought you weren't allowed to have a song chart within the Top 100 to qualify?

Kind of cheapens things if they pick artists who are already on the rise through their own merit, doesn't it?

11. 2014

2014 Staff Member

It's very R&B-centric which is great! Mahalia seems the favourite??

12. Rosalía came 5th.

The fact that Pussy Is God (or “PiG” as the radio edit calls it, dd) already got playlisted by Radio 1 a few weeks ago makes me think King Princess has got this.

dylbop likes this.
  13. How could a radio edit work for that song?

slaybellz likes this.
  14. Island

Island Staff Member

Octavian won. Kind Princess 2nd.

Ella Mai and Mahalia only made the longlist.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.