Been Rating: The Jessica Mauboy Discography Rate (RESULTS - THE TOP 10) | The Popjustice Forum

Been Rating: The Jessica Mauboy Discography Rate (RESULTS - THE TOP 10)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by livefrommelbs, Nov 5, 2018.

1. [​IMG]

The year was 2006.

Deep in the dry, red-hot deserts near Alice Springs, Australia, two D-list celebrities and soul icon Marcia Hines found themselves lost and alone. Melting into their chairs under the scorching Australian sun. Thirsty for water and even thirstier for talent.

Australian Idol had done them real dirty this time. Until, like a mirage, they heard a voice.

'Shaaaaaaare my liiiiife...'

Instant hydration. Broad spectrum sun protection. Shelter from the sandstorms (and the Sandilands).

The voice was smooth. Clear. Angelic. And it belonged to Jessica Hilda Mauboy.

From that first Whitney rendition, Miss Mauboy was on the country's radar - delivering knockout performance after knockout performance (except for a bit of a rough take on the Bee Gee's "Words"). And although she finished runner-up to Damien Leith ('who?' the gays ask), Jessica was the winner in the hearts and minds of everyone with taste. We stanned. Well, I definitely stanned.

[​IMG]

Once signed to Sony, it was hard to say what Jess was going to do - if much of anything. She replaced Ricki-Lee in the Young Divas and stole the whole damn show on the colossal banger that is "Turn Me Loose" - but the group's second album didn't exactly take off. Was that it for our girl? Would she ever get her time in the solo sun?

The answer came in 2008, when Jessica ARRIVED with "Running Back". Sure, having Flo Rida (who was HUGE at the time was) on the track was a massive get for an Aussie girl's debut single. But it was the song's amazing R'n'B-pop production and Jess' incredible vocals that really made people sit up and take notice. SHE WASN'T PLAYING. The song hit the top five, went double-platinum, and set up Jess as a viable pop star.

[​IMG]

Turns out, it was just the beginning. Her debut album "Been Waiting was one of the biggest-selling albums by an Australian artist that year. Second single "Burn" leapfrogged "Running Back" to hit number one. The bops kept coming - and so did the hits. In the space of a year, Jess had gone from singing-show-runner-up-featured-on-girl-group's-flop-album to a viable popstar.

(Did I mention we stanned?)

[​IMG]

In the TEN YEARS since, J-Mally has pressed on with a strong pop game. From the sleek, commercial beats of 'Get 'Em Girls' to the soul success of 'The Sapphires', the fizzy dance-pop of 'Beautiful' to the euphoric "We Got Love" at this year's Eurovision, she's become one of the most iconique presences in Australian pop. She's racked up 9 top-10 singles, 6 top-10 albums (including 2 number ones), and one PopJustice rate.

Which starts now.
    Over the next few weeks, we'll be rating all of Jess' original studio tracks that have been released on an album - include deluxe re-releases (of which she's had a few.) ALSO, because I'm a dedicated stan who wants to give y'all the best possible rate, I've tracked down the studio version of "Over and Over" - which was released as a B-Side on the "To The End Of The Earth" physical single. Bear with as I figure out the best way to share this with y'all.

So turn it up and put it down. Do your make-up and your hair the way you like (like), you like. Pop a bottle of your love. Ride, ride, ride on a Saturday night. And get on your get 'em girls. Because we've been waiting so long - and once we've made the definitive call on the best Jessica Mauboy song of all time, things are never gonna be the same.

THE SONGS

Not on Spotify:
    Over and Over

THE DEADLINE
    DECEMBER 10, 2018
    THE RULES
    • Use the PM list in the post below this to fill out your scores and send them over to me, thanks!
    • As per usual, score each song out of 10 - and give an 11 to the J-Mally track you think's the pick of the bunch.
    • I'll accept scores with a decimal points as long as they're not crazy. We're talking 0.1-0.9 and the usual 0.25, 0.5 and 0.75 fare. If you're giving a 7.85732 to a Beautiful deluxe track, you can Go (I don't need you anyway).
    • Please hit me up with some commentary! You can say as little or as much as you want, as long as you say something.
    • Don't be a troll.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    soratami, Remorque, Blob and 7 others like this.
  2. PM-ABLE LIST

The Been Waiting Era

Running Back (feat. Flo Rida)
    Been Waiting
    Burn
    Used2B
    Empty
    Because
    To The Floor
    Time After Time
    Back2U
    Up/Down
    Let Me Be Me
    Chinese Whispers
    Breathe
    Do It Again
    That Girl
    Runnin'
    Magical
    Now I Know

The Get 'Em Girls Era

Get 'Em Girls (feat. Snoop Dogg)
    Handle It
    Accelerate That
    Scariest Part
    Saturday Night (feat. Ludacris)
    What Happened To Us (feat. Jay Sean)
    Reconnected
    Like This (feat. Iyaz)
    Foreign
    Can Anybody Tell Me
    Fight For You
    Maze
    Here For Me
    Forget Your Name
    Run
    Nobody Knows
    Not Me
    Inescapable
    Make It Alright
    Galaxy (feat. Stan Walker)
    No One Like You

The Sapphires Era

Gotcha

The Beautiful Era

Beautiful
    Kiss Me Hello
    Pop a Bottle (Fill Me Up)
    I Believe
    Never Be The Same
    In Love Again
    Honest
    I'll Be There
    Go (I Don't Need You)
    Heartbreak Party
    Barriers
    To The End Of The Earth
    Kick Up Your Heels (feat. Pitbull)
    Can I Get A Moment?
    The Day Before I Met You
    All Mine
    Palace
    Nothing To Lose
    Over and Over

The 'Secret Daughter' Era

Risk It
    Stuck In The Middle
    Home To Me
    Closer
    Fallin'
    Then I Met You

The 'Other Songs That Don't Belong To An Era' Era

Turn Me Loose (with the Young Divas)
    Something's Got A Hold On Me
    Sea Of Flags
    This Ain't Love
    Where I'll Stay
    We Got Love

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  3. THE RESULTS SO FAR

71. Not Me - 6.135
    70. That Girl- 6.435
    69. No One Like You - 6.735
    68. Foreign - 6.83
    67. Make It Alright - 6.93
    66. Now I Know - 6.935
    65. I'll Be There - 6.945
    64. Time After Time - 6.99
    63. Breathe - 7.115
    62. The Day Before I Met You - 7.21
    61. Do It Again - 7.23
    60. Can I Get A Moment? - 7.26
    59. All Mine - 7.27
    58. Chinese Whispers - 7.3
    57. Magical - 7.31
    56. In Love Again - 7.365
    55. Home To Me - 7.38
    54. Palace - 7.43
    53. Handle It - 7.44
    52. Stuck In The Middle - 7.445
    51. Let Me Be Me - 7.505
    50. Nothing To Lose - 7.525
    49. Here For Me - 7.555
    48. Kiss Me Hello - 7.57
    47. Accelerate That - 7.6
    46.Honest - 7.64
    45. Because - 7.675
    44. Heartbreak Party - 7.685
    43. Barriers - 7.705
    42. Kick Up Your Heels (feat. Pitbull) - 7.715
    41. Get 'Em Girls (feat. Snoop Dogg) - 7.725
    40. Risk It - 7.74
    39. Can Anybody Tell Me - 7.75
    38. Closer - 7.785
    37. Back2U - 7.8
    36. Reconnected - 7.855
    35. Nobody Knows
    33 (TIE). Used2B/Where I'll Stay - 7.96
    31 (TIE). What Happened To Us (feat. Jay Sean)/Go (I Don't Need You) - 7.97
    30. Sea Of Flags - 7.985
    29. Fallin' - 8.005
    28. Galaxy (feat. Stan Walker) - 8.045
    27. Then I Met You - 8.07
    26. Runnin' - 8.15
    25. Fight For You - 8.17
    24. Like This (feat. Iyaz) - 8.175
    23. To The Floor - 8.245
    22. Scariest Part - 8.3
    21. Empty - 8.41
    20. Something's Got A Hold On Me - 8.46
    19. I Believe - 8.575
    18. Up/Down - 8.595
    17. Run - 8.615
    16. Beautiful - 8.64
    15. Turn Me Loose (with the Young Divas) - 8.65
    14. Forget Your Name - 8.745
    13. Maze - 8.86
    12. To The End Of The Earth - 8.875
    11. Never Be The Same - 8.94
    10. Saturday Night (feat. Ludacris) - 8.975
    9. Gotcha - 9.01
    8. Over And Over - 9.055

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019 at 4:25 AM
  4. RESERVED AGAIN.

[​IMG]

And now you're good to post.

5. soratami, vague and livefrommelbs like this.
  6. soratami, vague and berserkboi like this.
  7. I'm definitely in!

Successica Maulegend deserves your votes, people.

8. Pop A Bottle is that living in Australia for a year BOP!

Fill me up
    Fill me up

9. So excited for this! So many bops.

And thank you so much for not making us rate the covers from The Secret Daughter ddd.

10. Know nothing about her music, so fans, is her music going to be up my alley?

11. Preview with Inescapable, Running Back, Can't Help Falling For You - that should cover and give you an indication of most of the sounds she explores :)

12. I think so! Some of Get ‘Em Girls might veer a little too heavily into hip hop-R’n’B territory (this is just an assumption based on the acts we both love, so apols if I’ve got that wrong!), but you should find plenty to like otherwise! Some solid gold pop bops and ballads in there.

Ps. I’ll have Over and Over uploaded by the end of the day so y’all have every track ready to rate!

vague and Untouchable Ace like this.
  13. Shall we start our Jess-rospective by (running, running) back to one of her earliest and most fabulous Idol performances? This was when I knew she wasn't playing. I still love the way you see her eyes light up once she hits that big note near the end and everyone goes bananas.

14. ofc giving over and over an 11 because of my dance academy bias

15. AN ICONIC MOMENT IN AUSTRALIAN TELEVISION.

16. ICONIC
    I don't even know who I love more in the video: Jessica, Ollie or Abigail

livefrommelbs likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.