Belinda Carlisle

• Thread starter Deleted member 312
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 312

vasilios said:
La Luna seemed like a monster hit so I guess they were confident? Well in Greece it was the summer hit the following year, La Isla Bonita - type success and all.

This is the level of success it deserved too. It's one of her greatest singles. I only got into her after I bought her first greatest hits and that was the first time I heard La Luna would you believe?! Such a good song...

And I actually did open my copy of Voila! I skipped through it a grand total of once never to return to it again!

I think there's a bonus disc of English language versions with my "Voila". Life's too short though isn't it.

I hope she tours the UK again.

HeadOverHeels said:
vasilios said:
La Luna seemed like a monster hit so I guess they were confident? Well in Greece it was the summer hit the following year, La Isla Bonita - type success and all.

This is the level of success it deserved too. It's one of her greatest singles. I only got into her after I bought her first greatest hits and that was the first time I heard La Luna would you believe?! Such a good song...

And I actually did open my copy of Voila! I skipped through it a grand total of once never to return to it again!

Is it really that bad?

I agree with La Luna, it's an amazing single, well song in general. She's one of a very select few where I like all of her studio albums.

Though of course they all have a few duds, overall they're very strong albums.

Why she never followed up A Woman & A Man is a mystery to me.

D

Deleted member 312

Right_Direction said:
HeadOverHeels said:
vasilios said:

Is it really that bad?

To be fair I didn't give it much of a chance. I remember there being one track that caught my attention slightly on the second, English disc but I've never even bothered listening to that one again!

I didn't actually rate A Woman and A Man. I did like the song All Gods Children she did for the 1999 GH but it flopped. It was so obviously Bellieve inspired just like the new stuff from Diana Ross and Tina Turner later on that year.

Good point about a Woman and A Man - why didn't they capitalise on it and release a new album? It was like she disappeared all over again at the time.... Until All God's Children. Which was nice, but should never have been a single to promote the GH.

The Visitor said:
Yes. The non released songs (inthe UK) were Deep Deep Ocean, Valentine, Whatever It Takes and Shades Of Michaelangelo. Of the 6 that did come out only Vision Of You missed the top 40 completely, although the only top 10's were Leave A Light On and my least favourite song on there, We Want The Same Thing.

We Want The Same Thing is a bit of a "has potential" on the album, but surely the single version is immense?

I also like love adore me some Belinda. Her vocal on Half The World is swoonsome. You really feel like she means every word she's singing. And even though the mighty Love Is Holy isn't a Belinda song, it might as well be; that's how much she defined that drivetime 80s powerpop sound.

Yes Love Is Holy is Belinda territory all the way.

I must listen to Real again. Harrdly know that album. The Belinda album isn't that good although my copy isn't that good quality. It's the Heaven On Earth/Runaway Horses/Live Your Life Be Free trilogy where she was at her peak. So many potential singles on all 3.

V

vasilios

Jackie Tyler-Wilde said:
I think there's a bonus disc of English language versions with my "Voila". Life's too short though isn't it.

I hope she tours the UK again.

She's playing Jazz Cafe May 4!

The Visitor said:
Yes Love Is Holy is Belinda territory all the way.

I must listen to Real again. Harrdly know that album. The Belinda album isn't that good although my copy isn't that good quality. It's the Heaven On Earth/Runaway Horses/Live Your Life Be Free trilogy where she was at her peak. So many potential singles on all 3.

I find Real such a brilliant album, whilst very different to the previous three & quite dark in tone, I think it works with her voice.

I like everything about that album, even the artwork, though had she not of fallen out with Virgin, things may have been very different for her.

Without it I suspect there may never have been the Greatest Hits Vol.1, and the extended run of hits through to 1993. Runaway Horses, as an album campaign, was dying on its arse by mid-1990 - only the lead single had made any headway at all - so the revamped Same Thing was the big second hit single that the album (and Belinda) needed at the time.

EG.

Jamie said:
We Want The Same Thing single mix is her finest hour IMO!

I don't like the album version at all.

I remember listening to the album several years ago for the first time since the early 90's & I had to skip that song.

The single mix is possibly her best ever single.

That was all just embarrassing.

It was shameless but I liked all 3 songs!

Alas Tina and Diana's albums failed to live up to the singles.

Belinda can stick the Jizz Cafe up her chooch! Give us pop woman, pop!

Playing the Jazz Cafe doesn;t mean she's playing Jazz.

It's just a music venue. It says she doing an 'acoustic' set but I assume she'll be singing the hits.