Best (and favourite) Summer(y) albums | The Popjustice Forum

Best (and favourite) Summer(y) albums

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Remyky22, Jul 6, 2014.

1. I don't know if this is the right place to open this thread, but I'll try. I have imagined this thread as a place for discussion of our favourite Summer albums (the ones that sound summery, that came out in Summer, or the ones you connect to Summer for any of the reasons). Also, I really like music that sounds summery, so I see this as a good way of finding new music.
    Teenage Dream, of course, comes as a perfect example and one of the most obvious choices. I think that the singles completely rulled the Summer of 2010., only to top it with a whole album at the end of Summer. I remember that Teenage Dream (the single) came out on my birthday and I was exhilarated to hear something that amazing, and it is still my favourite Katy's song. Lady GaGa's The Fame is also a good example, in my opinion, especially tracks like Eh Eh and Summerboy.
    Ultraviolence, Solange - Sol-Angel & The Hadley St. Dreams, Amerie - All I Have/Because I Love It, Goldfrapp - Black Cherry, Empire Of The Sun - Ice On The Dune, even The Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D... just a few example of some of my favourites.

I also love music in the vein of Best Coast, Beach Fossils, Beach House and Wavves, and if anyone has something similar to recommend, I'd appreciate it.

2. LTG

LTG

Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree

3. Colbie Caillat's All of You literally takes me away to a hotter, nicer place every time I listen to it.

4. Texas - The Hush. It's the pure embodiment of summer, from beginning to end.

bonnieetclyde likes this.
  5. Pavement - Brighten the Corners is really summery

6. Agreed. Especially Shady Lane and Blue Hawaiian.

Also
    Chris Rea - On The Beach
    High Llamas - Hawaii

7. "Ultraviolence" is strangely summery in a '110 degrees in the desert' kind of way.

8. Love.Angel.Music.Baby by Gwen Stefani is a summer album in my books.

Bubble Pop Electric, Crash, Cool, Rich Girl, Luxurious, The Real Thing (especially the ballad version), Harajuku Girls, they all just bring me back to Summer. I guess cause I got that album for Christmas, so it was very much during Summer.

9. I find Ultraviolence to be very '-110 degrees in a cold winter'. I've heard lots of people describe it as summery yet I can't seem to feel it that way myself!

Tangled Up - Girls Aloud
    Born to Die - Lana Del Rey
    The Family Jewels - Marina & The Diamonds
    Trouble - Natalia Kills
    We Started Nothing - The Ting Tings

Those seem to be my usual 'summertime' albums.

10. Agreed about The Family Jewels. I remember being at camp in Year 11 with no charger for my iPod, and it having like 20% while I desperately trying to listen to it on the bus home, because it had leaked like 20 minutes before I had to go to camp and I hadn't heard it yet!

11. Any Jack Johnson album is my go to Summer album. It's impos to listen and not feel like you're in Hawaii or something.

Also I find both of Siobhan Donaghy's album's weirdly summery.

12. All of Sheryl Crow's albums remind me of summer, especially Tuesday Night Music Club.

13. Loose is a summer classic for me. Maneater and Promiscuous ruling the summer of 2006 consecutively, and also how the album in its track listing almost makes you feel like you're starting at a club, and ending up at an afterparty in the cool summer night.

14. Mandy Moore - Wild Hope
    Hole - Celebrity Skin

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  15. To me, Cut Copy's "In Ghost Colours" is pretty summery. Especially with that opening track!

16. Wild Nothing's "Nocturnes" is incredible, but it has more of a late summer/early fall vibe.

You could also give Real Estate's "Atlas" a listen if you haven't yet.

17. For me, nothing epitomizes Summer/Spring like Lily's "Alright, Still" album.

some others

Louise Redknapp-"Elbow Beach"
    tUnE-yArDs- "whokill"
    Eliza Doolittle- "s/t"
    Madonna- "Erotica"
    Azealia Banks- "Fantasea"
    Vampire Weekend- "s/t"
    Nelly Furtado- "Loose" or "Whoa, Nelly!"
    Sleigh Bells- "Treats"

18. It's from last year, but Young Galaxy's Ultramarine is easily my go-to summer album. The only reasons anyone could dislike that album are if they hate synths, fun, and/or happiness.

And Bodyparts by Dragonette still has some summer jam moments. I've been listening to Happy Nation a lot while I'm driving on sunny days right now.

19. K94

K94

My one and only:

[​IMG]

20. I had a moment with Anniemal while listening to it on the beach in Israel last year. It's such a sparkly summer album.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.