Best 'Comeback' Singles? | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

Best 'Comeback' Singles?

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by bonnieetclyde, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Interesting topic. So many to mention, but here's a first few that spring to mind as amazing returns from the pop wilderness(ish)...

Bananarama - Move In My Direction

The B-52s - Funplex

Alison Moyet - Should I Feel That It's Over

Sade - Soldier Of Love

Kim Appleby - Don't Worry

mguyb, heartmightmelt, andru and 6 others like this.

2. She had only been away for a year and a half, but I remember this song coming out of nowhere completely blowing my mind and making me sit up and take notice of her. It wasn't like anything I'd ever heard before. Possibly my favourite song by her.

3. I can't believe Something New hasn't been mentioned yet, that is my first thought when I think of amazing comeback singles

4. That's true, but also do feel this was a comeback in that respect. Those years of the early 00s, certainly didn't feel the same compared to the 90s. This whole album, felt like an true return to commercial form. Only cemented more so with this:

Conan and bonnieetclyde like this.
  5. Yes! Amazing comeback. I remember listening to this premiere on the radio and wetting myself that Nicole had a full verse to sing!

AllRed, OlliMaus, Conan and 2 others like this.
  6. After her second album didn't seem to make much noise, her coming back with this was unexpected and had me shook:

7. Meanwhile the US got this as the proper comeback and I was just… whelmed:

Not going to lie, I did love the way she essentially had three different lead singles, one to suit different Regions/Markets.

AllRed, Nephilim, Conan and 1 other person like this.
  8. Take That - Patience & The Flood
    Blondie - Maria
    Duran Duran - Ordinary World
    Kylie - Spinning Around
    ABC - Viva Love

9. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Frozen yet. The minute I saw this thread, it was the first thing that came to mind.

10. Was going to post this too, fantastic comeback song.

11. The conversation about Mariah above made me think about this one too. The Mel & Kim era felt like a lifetime away when "Don't Worry" was released, yet it was only 2 years after their last single. I guess with these things it can be more about perception as well.

One of my favourite comebacks was Tiffany with The Color Of Silence. It was exciting to follow that era.

12. More of a comeback album, this was Stevie’s first new material in 6 years after her previous album bombed and her first album post-Fleetwood Mac reunion.

AshtrayHeart likes this.
  13. I’m still not over this:

14. Not particularly PJ friendly but an amazing comeback nonetheless

15. I mean that was her 3rd release from her return to music. Poor Chasing the Sun.

16. Stop the count.

17. Absolutely. Especially considering how much the first Bat Out of Hell sold. That he came back with such a massive single was really impressive.

Eric Generic, penghuwan and CDMCLP like this.
  18. https://www.youtube.com/embed/F8xk_AkeP5c

Kate Bush King of the Mountain for me, I remember waiting by the radio and listening to Ken Bruce for the premiere and feeling sick with anticipation. Seeing it live some years later was the cherry on the cake.

andru likes this.
  19. Not sure if just 1 year counts as a comeback but what a song.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.