Best 'Comeback' Singles? | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

Best 'Comeback' Singles?

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by bonnieetclyde, Nov 29, 2021.

1. OK fixed it

WhatKindOfKylie? and Pink Frost like this.
  2. I think the circumstances have a lot to do with it. When I mentioned Frozen, it wasn't because Madonna had been away for years (the last single off Evita wasn't even 12 months old) or that she'd been flopping (by most people's standards, her "wilderness" years were fairly successful) but rather that so many people had written her off and assumed her best days were long behind her. Not least because of her looming 40th birthday, given the sexism and ageism rife in both the media and the industry, then as now. With one song - and what a song - she silenced the doubters at a stroke.

I agree that when you start talking about say Holly Valance, whose pop career wasn't even two years from start to finish, the word loses all meaning. But there are different ways to define it.

IEngineered, Mvnl and lob0to like this.
  3. Another great Kylie comeback. Bye bye Hit Factory forever.

sometimesxtc likes this.
  4. Effectively a reboot after Richey's disappearance but what a way to do it. Their ultimate classic.

5. For Garbage, I have to say I'm a huge fan of their comeback single "Blood for Poppies", I just wish they'd mixed it closer to the live arrangement, which sounds so anthemic on the outro. The mix of dubby bass, rock guitars, samples and choruses - it sounds like everything from their first run without sounding like they'd been away at all.

Can we say "Shining Light" by Ash? Not that Ash were away but it did feel like a major about turn for them commercially.

letuinmybackdoor and DoggySwami like this.
  6. Agree that sometimes it's as much about perception and what went before as actual earth years inbetween releases. You also need to have been quite big in the first place, and have disappeared for a bit, in order to come back with a comeback.

My highlights would be some already mentioned, like:

Say What You Want
    Ordinary World
    Tell Me When
    Patience
    Maria

..and you could possibly make cases for:

Running Up That Hill
    Radio Ga Ga

The_Rani likes this.
  7. Running up that hill definitely was.

8. Running Up That Hill, was truly something else. Spectacular song.

letuinmybackdoor likes this.
  9. I don't know if it's been mentioned before in the thread, but Cher's Believe was a MOMENT.

10. A total moment and then some. Shaped pop for at least the next 5 years if not longer.

d2019, idratherjack and Eric Generic like this.

11. While no longer my favorite from that era (that goes to “Deadzone”) it was so wonderful to hear them back together again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.