Best Disco Albums? | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

Best Disco Albums?

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Deleted member 5343, Mar 5, 2017.

1. I discovered great soul/disco lp last night on Motown.

The Dynamic Superiors - Pure Pleasure

Hit And Run Lovers was standout

2. [​IMG]

Donna's disco masterpiece. You'll know Hot Stuff and Bad Girls and expect a whole album of that but then the last few tracks go into sonically interesting, almost electro production - check out Our Love, Lucky and Sunset People.

Bleu Noir and Eric Generic like this.
  3. One day I'll get that album!

idratherjack likes this.
  4. I've had the 2003 Deluxe Edition sitting on the shelf for years and finally got around to playing it last night! At first I thought it was a bit "too disco" for me (try as I might it's not a favourite genre of mine) but as it went on Donna's vocals, the songs and the production won through. By the end of the album I felt I was listening more to an early Divine/New Order electro track so I would recommend it. That edition also comes with a 12" Singles & More collection

https://www.discogs.com/Donna-Summer-Bad-Girls/release/1179148

tylerc904, Mr Blonde and Eric Generic like this.
  5. I remember seeing the Deluxe in HMV a couple of years ago, when they would have a whole display of all the Polygram/Universal deluxes (Lionel Richie, Rush, Steve Winwood, Tom Tom Club etc). I think the first edition of the Bad Girls one came with the frosted outer slipcase, but now it's probably just a wraparound sticker.

idratherjack likes this.
  6. Mine has the frosted outer slipcase and looks really quite cool. I love the artwork so much that I have Bad Girls on vinyl too!

tylerc904 and Eric Generic like this.
  7. Bad Girls and Voulez-Vous are hands down my favorite Disco albums of all times. But I do quite love Donna's pre-Bad Girls albums, Grace Jones - Muse, and I ferquently use this gem:

[​IMG]

idratherjack likes this.
  8. I miss those Mania compilations!

Who could forget The Cheeky Girls trying to get their tongues around We Go Together?

tylerc904 likes this.
  9. Do not miss Diana Ross 'The Boss' album. It's disco at its best. All the songs by Ashford & Simpson.

God, I have to stop recommending this. Or ask for some royalties.

Karvel and Eric Generic like this.
  10. The first two Amii Stewart albums - Paradise Bird and Light My Fire.
    The first is classical disco that offers Amii a good background for her powerful voice. The second album has a strong Moroder-influence and uses electronics to amazing effect. Her version of Knock On Wood is a disco-classic for the ages. The arrangement is so heavy and powerful that a lesser singer would easily be run over by the relentless beat. But Amii stands her ground as she burns the disco down.

Light My Fire/137 Disco Heaven is a 9-minute disco bonanza that uses every trick in the book to tranport a dancefloor into another dimension. I love how they take a rock-classic and turn it into a science-fiction gospel monster (guaranteed to piss off the rockists). The call-and-respond part in the long version is amazing. Disco Heaven indeed!

Also:
    The Ritchie Family - American Generation/I Feel Disco Good.
    Sheila B. Devotion - Singing in the Rain (the album)
    Cerrone - The first 3 albums (Love in C Minor, Supernature and Paradise) are a seminal disco trilogy.

Bleu Noir and idratherjack like this.
  11. I'm making a compilation of 'baroque' disco/funk tunes at the moment, lookig for stuff with harpsichord/clavichord, any kind of 'baroque' string sections.... especially if mixed with a moog/synth solo over the top to give it a spacey feel... basically anything that sounds like it could be used in a 70s crime drama.

Thread Hijack Over.

Eric Generic likes this.
  12. I never know what to call early 80s 'disco' - I am having a major deep dive on a day off.

Sharon Redd 'You're A Winner' - I just love the way it gallops along.

Eric Generic likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.