Best Live Albums? | The Popjustice Forum

Best Live Albums?

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Smoke My Cigar, Feb 9, 2009.

1. What's everyone's favourite live albums?

[​IMG]
    Bic Runga - Live In Concert with the Christchurch Symphony
    I was just playing this while in the bath and I'd honestly forgotten how truly 'wonderful' (it's honestly the only word for it) this album is. Bic's voice is on top form and the mix of cover versions (standouts include 'One More Cup Of Coffee', 'Anyone Who Had A Heart', 'Wishing On A Star') and previous album tracks ('Something Good', 'Bursting Through', 'Beautiful Collision') work wonderfully. My only problem with this live album is that it isn't long enough, it ends too soon, but it never fails to relax me and Bic's voice combined with the orchestra is chillingly beautiful.

[​IMG]
    Velvet Chain - Live At The Temple Bar
    I love how much of a hybrid this album is. As well as featuring a live show from 2000 it also features 3 lounge-version recordings made the night before the live show and a previously unreleased studio track. On top of that it includes an enhanced section featuring video footage of 4 of the live performances - what more could you want from a live CD?! The vocals and instrumentation are amazing and really bring the original songs to life in a live atmosphere. The country-swing live version of 'Strong' is particularly fantastic and a great way to close the live show. 'Sour Times' and 'Don't Leave A Diva' are also big standouts and I really can't complain about the video footage. Just amazing.

2. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

Madonna - I'm Going To Tell You A Secret and The Confessions Tour, although they would have been much better had they represented the complete show.

Daft Punk - Alive 2007

Kylie Minogue - Intimate And Live and Showgirl: Homecoming Live

Scissor Sisters - Live At The 02

Kransky Sisters - A Keepsake Of Live Excerpts From Mourne, Eve And Arva

Bjork - Debut Live, Post Live, Homogenic Live and Vespertine Live

Mariah Carey - MTV Unplugged

Dixie Chicks - Top Of The World Tour: Live

Prince - Indigo Nights: Live Sessions

3. Kylie's Showgirl Homecoming 2CD live album is breathtaking + it contains the amazing White Diamond so even more reason to listen to it

4. Charley

Charley Staff Member

5. Muse - HAARP

6. Goldfrapp - Wonderful Electric (it is double DVD actually, but bits were also released as b-sides and download EP).

7. Agreed, but Hullabaloo was also very good.

Nine Inch Nails' 'And All That Could Have Been' is great because it's essentially a live Best Of record.

8. Alison Krauss + Union Station - Live

9. Simple Minds - Live In The City Of Light (1987).

The only "Live" album I ever really listen to. Although I know quite a bit of it was tweaked in post-production. But it's a brilliant document of why their shows were so good.

EG.

10. The Knife- Silent Shout, An Audio Visual Experience.

Just a fine selection of songs which were performed well and it also reminds me of when I saw them live in London.The live version of 'The Captain' is just 'wow'.

11. Nirvana - Unplugged

12. Kraftwerk - Minimum Maximum. Partly because it's the closest you'll get to a best-of from them, partly because of the energy them put into these tracks. From the opening moments of The Man Machine it's an extroadinary ride.

13. This. If I could only have one Nirvana album, it would be that.

14. Girls Aloud - Girls A Live (although strictly speaking that's more of an EP than it is an album).

Busted - A Ticket For Everyone Live.

15. Depeche Mode - 101

Because it's one gig, from start to finish (even if the end is slightly rearranged).

16. [​IMG]
    Great voice, and great live arrangements of the songs.

17. Katy Perry - Unplugged

Love the version from I Kissed A Girl.

18. Shakira is great live! I listened to Octavo Día live from the Tour Of The Mongoose - her speech about politics at the start is touching. Also the song is great. I love Moscas En La Casa from the MTV Unplugged album.

19. IotV

IotV Guest

Leona Lewis - X Factor Live Performances

(yes, I made the last one up, but it's awesome - I have mp3s for all her performances!)

20. Beyoncé - I Am ... Yours
    Katy Perry - MTV Unplugged

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.