Best & Worst Christmas Movies | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

Best & Worst Christmas Movies

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Hudweiser, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Four Christmases is really really funny! I went to see it Christmas Eve and it was perfect and I laughed quite a lot

The Greatest Store In The World was a CBBC film and it's so lovely and reminds me of my childhood, I love when she is dreaming that S Club 7 turn up at the store!

eddy2375 likes this.
  2. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

The Santa Clause. But NOT the Tim Allen one.

3. Do you mean Christmas themed films and/or films shown a lot over Christmas?

I actually quite adore Jingle All The Way and The Santa Clause... Some films just don't capture Christmas, but I think these two do in their own way.

Home Alone 1 & 2
    Muppet Christmas Carol
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    The Grinch
    All I Want For Christmas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_I_Want_for_Christmas_(film))

Deck The Halls is pretty woeful......

Is The Polar Express any good?

4. I love the Tim Allen one!

If we can talk abut films that aren't really about Xmas, but shown a lot during it, I nominate Home Alone and its sequels for the worst films.

5. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Staff Member

Home Alone 1 & 2 are amazing. No argument. Pretend the further sequels never happened, it's the best way.

6. Ladies and gents, I present to you...

HOOK.

7. I prefer 3 to 2, Culkin was too obnoxious by then and 3 has that great old lady.

8. Totally agree with you - my favourite Christmas movies of all time! Love the score in both of them too, always puts me in a festive mood!

9. I see your garishly overblown HOOK, show it the door, and usher in the phenomenal PETER PAN (2003).

Jason Isaacs > Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, Julia Roberts single-handedly.

eddy2375 likes this.
  10. Marry me. (Just add Nightmare Before Christmas to that list.)

I hate all of those Tim Allen - Christmas Movies.

11. 'A Mom For Christmas' where Olivia Newton-John plays a department store mannequin who comes to life to be a stand-in Mum for a young girl. It's complete Disney schmaltz, but was essential viewing for me as a kid. Olivia's admittedly less than stellar acting works to her advantage in this role (as she is playing someone, err, not human) and she is positively delightful. The best performance in the film, however, goes to her bangs and what some of her fans have lovingly termed the 'skunk' hair - one big streak of blonde hair that is bleached lighter than the rest!

x

12. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

All fine, but it's really all about the one with Dudley Moore
    [​IMG]

In other news, even though I'm tired of it now, everyone should have at least one christmas with Annie.

13. Edward Scissorhands. My favourite movie of all time... and the score is just sublime.

14. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Staff Member

Ooh imagine that!

"Let'''''''''''s open the christmaspresents."

(I know you didn't mean that Annie really.)

15. Winner. I can't believe you're the only one to mention this classic!

16. That's an odd one - there's a reason why you won't have seen it mentioned on this thread by the British contigent...almost no-one here knows it!

Unlike the US, where it became hugely popular on video and television, after its minimal UK cinema release, it barely surfaced here. We just weren't exposed to it as the US were. It's not even on DVD in the UK and I can remember it popping up on TV only two or three times in the last 15 years. So whilst it's a fine film, we just don't have the attachment to it that USA audiences do, hence why it's probably not been widely-seen on this thread.

17. Wow, really? I honestly had no idea it wasn't a hit outside the US. I just figured that since it is such a ubiquitous Christmas movie here (we even had a channel that played the movie all 24 hours on Christmas haha), it would be everywhere. It's a great movie though! Fully recommended by this American PJer.

18. I got a set of Christmas Story pint glasses for Christmas; they are amazing.

I'm expecting epic-ness from Arthur Christmas next year...

19. Charley

Charley Staff Member

I recently learned there is a Home Alone 4 now.

20. Love Actually is one of my favourite parts of Christmas. Keira Knightley's storyline in it gets me every time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.