BEYONCÉ - act i RENAISSANCE + "MY HOUSE"

Status
Not open for further replies.
he/him
The sooner you realize 99.9% of celebs would sacrifice you to a cheese grater for a 5th vacation home in some tax haven, the quicker you stop feeling bad about low streaming pay-outs and not buying silly planet-destroying, physical merch

Oh, you want to be part of the bourgeoisie and rich elites exploiting the working class? Good luck getting there with my $0.00045 per stream contribution.

200w.gif

I honestly don't have any sort of negative reaction to Beyonce performing for rich people and making a lot of money from it...

What I do have a negative reaction too though is the olive oil thing
OK? So you're... more upset by Beyoncé fans being "exploited" by an olive oil sponsorship/side gig (put your hands up if you feel personally exploited by the olive oil!) than you are about the UAE government paying millions for an ostensibly feminist popstar to do a private show while unspecified numbers of women suffer genital mutilation and men still have the right to withhold their wives' and sisters' passports (and indeed the government can withhold women's passports on arrival in the country)? Strange!

Woof.

But I mean why not. Her fans will still line up and shell out to see her. She has such a large casual pull that she can afford to be the type of pop star that only performs (mediocre songs) for prestige events or private concerts the ultra wealthy.

I honestly don't have any sort of negative reaction to Beyonce performing for rich people and making a lot of money from it.

I kinda do ddd

Us fans waiting patiently for a single crumb for months and creating fanmade SIMS VIDEOS for visuals... only for her to perform for the elite class in a place that has disgusting human rights.

It screams "you plebs don't give me enough money, sorry!". Love Renaissance, but after the message of this album it feels a bit disingenuous to me.

He/Him
Surely the point of being a multi-millionaire is that you no longer have to lower yourself to take these grubby jobs from dodgy billionaires? But then we saw how she and Jay Z ignored striking hotel workers too.

How much money do these people need? She’s clearly an incredible artist, but not a particularly great person.

Did Kylie get this much aggro? As isn't she doing the exact same thing but on New Year's Eve?

It's not ideal for the fans but these things are always going to happen. Mariah, Janet and Jlo have all done similar events in the past.

Did Kylie get this much aggro? As isn't she doing the exact same thing but on New Year's Eve?

It's not ideal for the fans but these things are always going to happen. Mariah, Janet and Jlo have all done similar events in the past.

Yes Kylie is performing. Maybe different rules for Kylie on here.

She did, actually:
Going from Sydney Pride to performing in an authoritarian state where being gay is (at least on paper) still punishable by death is... certainly something.
It's really disappointing to see her ignore the disgusting anti LGBTQ+ culture of Dubai to chase a pay check and perform there yet again. This community is pretty much what keeps her selling tickets and albums.
Performing in Dubai is a choice.

The sooner you realize 99.9% of celebs would sacrifice you to a cheese grater for a 5th vacation home in some tax haven, the quicker you stop feeling bad about low streaming pay-outs and not buying silly planet-destroying, physical merch

Oh, you want to be part of the bourgeoisie and rich elites exploiting the working class? Good luck getting there with my $0.00045 per stream contribution.

200w.gif
Weak! Real comrades download illegal zip files.

200w.gif

OK? So you're... more upset by Beyoncé fans being "exploited" by an olive oil sponsorship/side gig (put your hands up if you feel personally exploited by the olive oil!) than you are about the UAE government paying millions for an ostensibly feminist popstar to do a private show while unspecified numbers of women suffer genital mutilation and men still have the right to withhold their wives' and sisters' passports (and indeed the government can withhold women's passports on arrival in the country)? Strange!

No I literally never said that. Just because I didn't mention Dubai, doesn't automatically make it okay for you assume that I'm fine with this.

I kinda do ddd

Us fans waiting patiently for a single crumb for months and creating fanmade SIMS VIDEOS for visuals... only for her to perform for the elite class in a place that has disgusting human rights.

It screams "you plebs don't give me enough money, sorry!". Love Renaissance, but after the message of this album it feels a bit disingenuous to me.

I get that, I'm not that big of a fan Beyonce personally so I guess that's why it doesn't bother me too much. I'm just enjoying her music a lot more recently, but yeah if this was one of my faves, I would be feeling a lot different.

He/Him

Mariah, Janet, JLo and Kylie are all as trash for what they did as Beyoncé. We can stan and fan-girl over their artistic output until the end of time but at the end of the day each and every one of these people will always uphold existing structures that benefit them over the millions of people living in poverty worldwide. Why else do you think all of our faves sell-out for brand promos, concerts for dictators and get into partnerships with businesses like Amazon that commit horrendous labour abuses? They love the money and power and they want more of it. Don’t be fooled, they’d squish you like a bug if they had to just to make sure they boarded their private jet on time for their annual super yacht vacay around the Bahamas.

Renaissance though, whew, what a slay.

Last edited:
Surely the point of being a multi-millionaire is that you no longer have to lower yourself to take these grubby jobs from dodgy billionaires? But then we saw how she and Jay Z ignored striking hotel workers too.

How much money do these people need? She’s clearly an incredible artist, but not a particularly great person.

I don't know that we can come to a conclusion on exactly what kind of person she is based on just this, but I do agree with your overall point.

Kylie is never going to get as much criticism for this kind of thing and we all know why even though some won't admit it.

Disappointed but I don't know why would anyone be surprised by this.

It would have been totally fine in my opinion if this was a performance for her fans there because she has many queer fans in the middle east that also deserve to see her...not filthy rich billionaires in a new resort.

I mean, even earlier this era, there was an artist complaining her team was asking for his work for free because "exposure" ddd unfortunately, not surprised at all. She has incredible music, thoughtful imagery, unparalleled performer... but popstars are more in line with money-hungry, egotistical businessmen than our friends, much less forward thinking reformers, and if you've followed Beyonce since Destiny's Child when she was more unfiltered (she's also married to Jay-Z), I really wouldn't expect her to be the person that'd be the exception to that rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.